Pictures of ourselves
Ryoku Slayer Wrote:my religion is buddhism, so people around here make fun of it, which pisses me off a lot because they know nothing about it.

If you knew something about Buddhism, you'd see it's not really a religion.
Actually Kak... by definition Buddhism is a religion. It is a system of spiritual beliefs that influence a followers life style.

As for the Qu'ran... it's kind of hard to verify that Gabriel actually talked to Muhammed.

It would be pretty easy for me to say that the Archangel Bob told me that the end of the world will happen if I don't take on a geas to end all flame wars. I could then write a book about the words of the Archangel Bob and start peddling it as my religion.

For the record, I'm closest to Agnostic. I do believe there is spirit but I'm not convinced by any of the existing religions that their approach is the correct one. I believe that we are something beyond a simple chemical reaction that has developed conciousness. I don't believe there is a single guiding force behind it all though. Until I have a religious experience (as close as it comes that night with Betty in the back seat of my car just doesn't count) I'm going to remain skeptical of all religions.

I agree that faith isn't something you just choose because the alternative doesn't sound good to me. That's just playing lip service to a bully and not actual faith.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
so a religion is solely a set of "beliefs" to guide your life? If that were the case, every set of laws or rules would a religion. Religion, according to merriam-webster, is a devotion to a supreme being (god) followed by devotion and service to the supreme being. Buddhism doesn't have that supreme being (no, buddha is not a supreme being). It has methods and practices for making your life better and a clear way to live your life, but then so does the book "how to make friends and influence people".
Hrm... I just did a Google search on definitions http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&i...e:religion and only a few of the definitions that came back were about specific dieties or a supreme being. A vast majority of the definitions I found there would include Buddhism as a form of religion. I miss my subscription to the OED online. I find Merriam-Webster to be too pared down to be useful any more. They used to have much more in depth definitions of words.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
How exactally did this thread change from a "pictures of ourselves" to a "religion" thread.
fahad17 Wrote:How exactally did this thread change from a "pictures of ourselves" to a "religion" thread.

it's 34 pages long. It changed topic quite a few times.
First and foremost I just want to point out that what I wrote was what I believe in, or in this case don't believe in. I only explained how I feel at Zagatto's request. I'm not here to make fun of another person's religion or to force my way of seeing things upon others.

Ryoku Slayer Wrote:I also believe that all religions can be true because of their standing points like: don't kill, steal, peace, etc etc etc.

In theory it's all very beautiful but in reality people hide behind religion to do the most horrific things, like Holy wars (for instance, The Crusades), the Inquisition who burned thousands of innocent people, etc, etc.
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
well to the original topic , this pic is me
[Image: shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2]
sorry its too small but im no computer whiz
The problem isn't the picture's size, it's the fact that there are 4 persons in it and I don't know which one is you!
I'm the one in blue shirt w/ khaki shorts.
Andromeda18_ Wrote:The problem isn't the picture's size, it's the fact that there are 4 persons in it and I don't know which one is you!

Do you honestly care?
GOOD LORD! This topic is still going!
Andromeda18_ Wrote:I'm not here to make fun of another person's religion or to force my way of seeing things upon others.

That's why I try to stay away from these discussions on the internet although I trully love to have them in real life. I can't help but try to change people's views (which ofcourse never happens) because I feel they are living a lie. I know I should respect peoples views and believes but I just can't help but see religion as a weakness which is probably a weakness of my own. You're doing a very good job in keeping this discussion civilized. You say alot of things i agree with but I can't bring them in the subtle way you do.
Vicious Wrote:Do you honestly care?

I wouldn't have asked if I didn't care. :p

elcoholic Wrote:That's why I try to stay away from these discussions on the internet although I trully love to have them in real life. I can't help but try to change people's views (which ofcourse never happens) because I feel they are living a lie. I know I should respect peoples views and believes but I just can't help but see religion as a weakness which is probably a weakness of my own. You're doing a very good job in keeping this discussion civilized. You say alot of things i agree with but I can't bring them in the subtle way you do.

My mother used to tell me when I was little "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" and man, is that true! I don't like it when people try to shove their opinions down my throat and so I suppose that people wouldn't like it if I did that to them, particularly when it comes to personal beliefs, a very sensitive subject. I guess it's just a matter of being able to put yourself in other people's shoes. Time has also shown me that it's pointless to argue when personal opinions are concerned, people hold on to them as if the world was about to end.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pictures of yourself??? Batz Kage 669 219,971 06-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Andromeda18_
  Need help locating game pictures Cidien 13 6,876 01-20-2006, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Cyrus
  Pictures of our cities Andromeda18_ 38 13,944 04-08-2005, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Blight
  Posting Pictures Question ? Last Exile 9 5,601 08-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Schultz
  Pictures of our action figures Andromeda18_ 56 28,938 07-29-2004, 04:07 AM
Last Post: Andromeda18_
  does s-video really make the picture better when watching dvd's? casshan83 17 8,808 05-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Last Post: rav96
  Anime Pictures, pictures of what i look like. Schultz 18 12,197 06-30-2003, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Steve_the_Talking_Pie