Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Pictures of ourselves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
But if he did see scientific proof that he existed would he then believe?
If he would then he's an agnostic.
If he absolutely refuses to believe in the possibility of a higher being then he's an atheist.
Zagatto Wrote:But if he did see scientific proof that he existed would he then believe?
If he absolutely refuses to believe in the possibility of a higher being then he's an atheist.

Agnostic means someone who is not sure whether god exists or not. THey don't commit to a specific religion nor do they commit to athiesism.
Zagatto Wrote:Wow! A true atheist. Most people I run into are more agnostic than atheist. If you don't mind me asking, what happened in your life to make you believe there is no higher force? Most people I know just choose not to believe because they haven't seen any irrefutable evidence.

Sorry for shanghaiing this thread. Religious beliefs are something that really interest me. For those that don't know, an atheist is someone who believes that God DOESN'T exist. Agnostics are a bit more wishy washy in that they don't believe in god outright but they do concede there is a possibility of some higher being.

Honestly? Nothing happened. I just don't believe in God or saints or whatever. I don't put aside the existence of ghosts and that sort of thing but I don't perceive them as something spiritual and religious but as some form of energy. I was raised in a Catholic family and I even taught Sunday school but the truth is I never believed in any of it. It doesn't mean anything to me. In fact, not only do I not believe in some higher force but I couldn't care less if it really existed. So what if there was some higher being? Why should I worship it? At most I'd think it would be cool, a being with actual powers. The truth is that, to me, God is something human beings made up in order to explain what is (for now) inexplicable and something they can hold on to in times of need, that gives them hope. I have no such need, never had and believe me I've been through some harsh times, even a near death situation.
I don't however, try to force my beliefs on others, if people chose to believe in God then so be it.

Nina182B Wrote:My brother is an atheist and just like Andromeda18, he's also very scientific, likes to know how things work, and can record loads of facts in his brain. He's read tons of books from any type of genre. He's double majoring in english and biology.. kinda weird to me, but cool. From my understanding, he's an atheist because he has not seen any scientific proof that God exists.

I bet that if I knew your brother we'd get along just fine. It seems to me we're very alike.
Zagatto Wrote:But if he did see scientific proof that he existed would he then believe?

He thinks God is not possible and that there can be no real scientific proof of God's existence... yep, atheist. My other brother is agnostic and still hasn't decided on what religion to believe in. He thinks he will eventually pick something but not without doing a lot of research and examining his options. I tell people I'm Catholic but that's not really true for me. I believe in God and Jesus Christ, but I don't think that non-believers are going to hell or any of that. I don't think being gay is wrong.
Nina182B Wrote:He thinks he will eventually pick something but not without doing a lot of research and examining his options.

That's almost the antithesis of believing in a religion.
kakomu Wrote:That's almost the antithesis of believing in a religion.

Yep. It's like telling yourself you're going to believe in something and hoping you saying it will make it true. I think it'll be beneficial for him to explore options though. I think trials like that make a person's faith stronger or will turn them away from religion completely. Either way, I hope they get an answer that'll put them at peace.
This topic and politics are sure fire bets to start a heated conversation. As for beliefs my father once told me that "If you do not believe and get up to heaven and there it is in all it's glory what happens? Well because you didn't believe you go to hell. Now take the other approach say you do believe and then you die only to find out that the scientist were right there is no life after death and you rot in the ground. Were did your faith get you then. No where... its right were you would be if you didn't believe, but if the later is correct and there is a god and you do believe then you get all the rewards."

At that time (me being 14) it sounds like a win / win situation to me. And I guess it still does today.
morgorath Wrote:This topic and politics are sure fire bets to start a heated conversation. As for beliefs my father once told me that "If you do not believe and get up to heaven and there it is in all it's glory what happens? Well because you didn't believe you go to hell. Now take the other approach say you do believe and then you die only to find out that the scientist were right there is no life after death and you rot in the ground. Were did your faith get you then. No where... its right were you would be if you didn't believe, but if the later is correct and there is a god and you do believe then you get all the rewards."

At that time (me being 14) it sounds like a win / win situation to me. And I guess it still does today.

Well, it comes down to the personality of said patron of religion. Are they naturally inquisitive? How do they approach what is presented to them in life? What do they think when they listen to people about religion?

Belief is something you can't fake, especially if god is as omniscient as the bible and qur'an make him out to be. Lastly, considering the amount of restrictions placed on someone who adheres to religion strictly, they really can't live life to the fullest.
kakomu Wrote:Belief is something you can't fake, especially if god is as omniscient as the bible and qur'an make him out to be.

Don't forget the Torah.
Vicious Wrote:Don't forget the Torah.

Bible (old testament) = Torah
morgorath Wrote:Now take the other approach say you do believe and then you die only to find out that the scientist were right there is no life after death and you rot in the ground. Were did your faith get you then.

Actually, if you die and there's no life after death you won't even notice so you won't even have the opportunity to think "where did my faith get me?".

morgorath Wrote:Well because you didn't believe you go to hell.

Says who? Let's not forget the bible was written by men and not by some higher being.

Anyway, I agree with Kakomu, belief is something you can't fake. I don't believe because I don't, faking would lead me nowhere.
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Says who? Let's not forget the bible was written by men and not by some higher being.

I'd like to point out that the Quran was not written by men, but was in fact handed down through angel Gabriel to prophet Muhammad.

Figure I'd chime in with my 2 cents on that. But I'll bow out now because I don't like participating in religious or political threads.
Since I'm an atheist I can't possibly believe that. Big Grin
Vicious Wrote:I'd like to point out that the Quran was not written by men, but was in fact handed down through angel Gabriel to prophet Muhammad.

The Qur'an was recited by by mohammad to someone who was literate. Sorta like the whole mormon recital from the guy putting his head in a box (thanks south park!).
OK, we are like really off topic here but I will answer because it is rather good. For me Religion is very important to all of us. I also believe that all religions can be true because of their standing points like: don't kill, steal, peace, etc etc etc. I respect all religions, but when someone makes fun of another person's religion then it gets me real mad, by the way my religion is buddhism, so people around here make fun of it, which pisses me off a lot because they know nothing about it.