was this an anime or not
Granted some of us here are as fickle as a collector of fine wines when we try to define anime as purely Japanese only cartoons. My personal opinion is are wise America and Europe could turn out simular high quality art wise stuff. The shortcoming is western culture have vary rarely if at all come to understand that audiences don't mind the non happy ending story westerners have come to like in the past ex (the lead character dieing at the end of an anime) . But as I said if some of the Western studio's would turn out quality work that is artisic and story simular to Japanese anime I think it has a right to get the foot in the door
Yes it might be as good as anime but it wont be anime... The term when used in the english language cant refer to animation from america thats trying to copy anime... Sure there are some grey areas like Korea (although Korean animation is not anime it looks like it at times). A grey area example would be that Spirited Away had work done to it in Korea although since it was made for Japanese audiences and by a Japanese director it is anime...
To change and alter one of my favorite movie quotes:

Animation. American animation, Japanese animation, ALL MADE IN KOREA!
?»?æ?©?ºF
?Î?©?Ì?D
OK... lets do a little research here.
"The word appears in written form in three katakana characters a, ni, me (アニメWink. Japanese prounciation is /ɑnimɛ/ , but in the United States speakers typically pronounce the word as /ænɪmei/ and in England it is generally pronounced /ænɪmi/. The English word transliterates a Japanese term. General etymological belief traces it in its turn to an abbreviation of the Japanese transliteration of the English word "animation" (shortened, as many foreign words appear in Japanese). Some anime fans claim the Japanese word comes from the French animé, ("animated"). Most Japanese do not believe this derivation. "

Oh... and the English term for "loaning" something back from someone is called "borrowing".

This is all semantics that we're arguing here.
Depending on who you're talking to, anime might or might not be exclusive to animated feature produced in Japan or by Japanese companies. The English language is a living language and definitions of words will change with use (personally I'm fond of the modern use of "dope" which started out referring to a foolish person).
This is an argument that can't be won.
If I say that anime includes all animation of a style originated in Japan then that is my definition and how I will refer to thing.
If you say that only cartoons made in Japan are anime than that is your personal definition.

The problem starts when we try to have a conversation and one of us assumes that the other has said something wrong based on our personal definition of anime.

Gotta go... I'm looking forward to a response.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
Quote:Originally posted by Zagatto
OK... lets do a little research here.
"The word appears in written form in three katakana characters a, ni, me (アニメWink. Japanese prounciation is /ɑnimɛ/ , but in the United States speakers typically pronounce the word as /ænɪmei/ and in England it is generally pronounced /ænɪmi/. The English word transliterates a Japanese term. General etymological belief traces it in its turn to an abbreviation of the Japanese transliteration of the English word "animation" (shortened, as many foreign words appear in Japanese). Some anime fans claim the Japanese word comes from the French animé, ("animated"). Most Japanese do not believe this derivation. "

Oh... and the English term for "loaning" something back from someone is called "borrowing".

This is all semantics that we're arguing here.
Depending on who you're talking to, anime might or might not be exclusive to animated feature produced in Japan or by Japanese companies. The English language is a living language and definitions of words will change with use (personally I'm fond of the modern use of "dope" which started out referring to a foolish person).
This is an argument that can't be won.
If I say that anime includes all animation of a style originated in Japan then that is my definition and how I will refer to thing.
If you say that only cartoons made in Japan are anime than that is your personal definition.

The problem starts when we try to have a conversation and one of us assumes that the other has said something wrong based on our personal definition of anime.

Gotta go... I'm looking forward to a response.

Umm...what he said.
He he... who needs a signature when you got such a cute ass kitty avatar.

I think I'll call him McGuffin
Quote:Originally posted by Zagatto

Actually no the official term for a word of that nature is a 'loan word'... True call anything by anything you want but calling Evangelion american animation isnt true...
Quote:Originally posted by gubi-gubi
Actually no the official term for a word of that nature is a 'loan word'... True call anything by anything you want but calling Evangelion american animation isnt true...

Now you're confusing the issue with poor grammar research. Yes, a word that has been borrowed from another language can be called a "loan word" but the action of "loaning" it from another language is still called "borrowing".
You loan TO and borrow FROM.

And calling EVA an American production would be incredibly wrong. What a funny thing for you to propose.
But if I call Reboot an anime based on the Japanese definition of the word would I still be wrong?

Or what about the episodes of Anne of Green Gables directed by Hayao Miyazaki for a French production company. It looks a lot like anime but it's from France. I personally think it's anime but what about you? Does Miyazaki's involvement constitute enough Japanese involvement for it to be anime or does the fact that it was produced in France proclude it from that designation?
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
I was using 'loan' due to the word being a loan word.. As I have an A level in English language I do know how to use it... The examples you give are different to what was being proposed before as what was being said was if an American production company made an anime STYLE show it could be called anime... The examples you give are examples of the grey areas I talked about before... So are the powerpuff girls anime because it tries to imitate the anime style? I think not... Whats the point in relaxing the way we can use the word anime? Then we will just have to make a new word up that implies animation made in Japan and not all animation that looks Japanese...

Edit: And the point of using 'anime' in the Japanese way makes no sense seeing as you are an English speaker and the term in English would not apply... If you were speaking Japanese then thats another story...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The anime makes the bike racing cooler annali 0 5,459 05-23-2014, 02:58 AM
Last Post: annali
  HK Anime Stores darkanx 3 12,220 11-03-2013, 02:32 AM
Last Post: tanakag
  The current state of HK anime darkanx 16 17,736 09-20-2013, 06:27 AM
Last Post: suzanerosh
  Anime boxsets I should own... guitarshredder 27 18,977 10-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Wuschel
  Crazyass Anime darkanx 5 4,154 01-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Last Post: zrdb
  New to anime... HELP! momaw27 1 1,843 12-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Last Post: RF_InSAnE
  christian anime what!!!!!!!? Cyrus 33 15,123 11-28-2006, 08:23 AM
Last Post: gubi-gubi
  Import Anime Online Stores prnoct90 10 7,176 11-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Amethyst
  Upcoming anime for September 2006 to December 2006 Peter 9 5,437 09-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Andromeda18_
  Which anime do you think has the best dub, and the worse dub ? puzzleguy 28 12,366 09-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Cyrus