The current state of HK anime
Hello everyone. It's been a while. I figured this place has been rather abandoned, but you know what? I see 9 people online right now. And it is 3am my time. That tells me this place is far from abandoned. So I think it is time to start kicking things up here. I will try to come up with a few topics of discussion over the next few days and see if I can help kick-start this forum. Everyone else join in also, because I feel that HK anime is far from being dead.

So how is everyones experiences with HK anime been? I have actually been rather happy with things.

I mostly stick with EZ/FX these days. I feel they have finally caught back up to the awesomeness FX was back in the days of Flora. Most of the time on these new sets the video and audio quality has been near perfect. My dvd player even has an easier time with these disks than the old FX ones.

I havn't bought much in the way of MAC lately, so I can't say much about them. Tho I must say I am very pleased with the last MAC set I got. I nabbed the two sets for Yakitate Japan, and they are very well translated. You get the occasional bad wording and grammar error, but everything else is spot on so far.

And the last MI set I bought was Get Backers Perfect, which was a fantastic watch and superior quality.

I just got me a big steaming new batch of anime I am watching on, and I will start posting up some reviews for them soon.
[Image: kitty.gif]
I think HK dvd's are doing just fine. At the very least eBay is still overflowing with them and the quality seems to be the same as when I used to buy them a lot. I say 'used to buy' because I'm currently buying mostly European R2 dvd's, so I don't think I'll be posting reviews of new titles.
RF_InSAnE Wrote:I think HK dvd's are doing just fine. At the very least eBay is still overflowing with them and the quality seems to be the same as when I used to buy them a lot. I say 'used to buy' because I'm currently buying mostly European R2 dvd's, so I don't think I'll be posting reviews of new titles.

Yeah, I know a lot of the old crew moved on to official dvds after the big breakdown 3 years ago and more when their favorite store got shut down. Plus the fact that R1s have dropped in price a lot. I am still a pretty avid HK buyer since I am disabled and got to pinch my pennies for all they are worth.
For me, the excitement about HK DVDs was always getting to see a series before it was released in North America. For the longest time, ordering HK DVDs was the best way to get a whole series early.

Now, I'm more likely to find a torrent containing a bunch of episodes and download what I want. Then, if there's something I want to watch over and over again I'll buy the R1 set (like Cowboy Bebop and Last Exile).
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
Quote:Now, I'm more likely to find a torrent containing a bunch of episodes and download what I want. Then, if there's something I want to watch over and over again I'll buy the R1 set (like Cowboy Bebop and Last Exile).

That's the way it works for me at the moment or at least when I've got the time. The university is keeping me more than busy enough.
Yeah, I don't actually follow very many fansubbed series these days. My signifigant other and I spend 2 hours every night watching anime, so I still buy up a lot of perfects and a few sub sets for our "together time" in front of the tv.
I can truthfully say that I haven't gotten an hk set in at least a couple of years and many of the older sets that I had have been replaced with R1's because of better video quality-let's face it-most hks look ok on a standard definition tv set but look like crap on a high def set. Fansubs round out my other viewing duties.
I love anime-but I still have a life-but not by choice......?
I don't watch as much anime as I used to or i'd probably still be buying HK's. I have moved on almost exclusively to R1's though. I usually wait until a series is done releasing and buy the inevitable complete collection for $40. When it costs more I wait for a sale. Got the burst angel set from rightstuff for $40 and the first season of initial d for $25 this christmas. I kinda like my HK subs better though for initial d though... that's kinda sad. That dub still pisses me off. :mad: No anime has been so brutally torn apart since dbz. At least I can watch dbz in english, as bad as it can be. /rant off

Couple more ways to save. At wal mart you can get each season of naruto for only $25 instead of the insane $45. Dunno who the hell has $45 to spend on 13 eps of a show with over 200 eps. Course you can skip about 50 of those cuz they're filler. Also, on the dbz note, you can get 30-40 eps for $30 a season. The last set went through frieza.
Guess I am one of the few oldtypes from here that still buy HK dvds. Smile I mostly hold out for the big sales from kcdvd and sphiatt, where things get down to 4 or 5 bucks a disk. They stay mighty appealing to me as long as I can get them for dirt cheep like that.
darkanx Wrote:Guess I am one of the few oldtypes from here that still buy HK dvds. Smile I mostly hold out for the big sales from kcdvd and sphiatt, where things get down to 4 or 5 bucks a disk. They stay mighty appealing to me as long as I can get them for dirt cheep like that.

Same here; but I have a problem with sphiatt; they have a tendancy to send me one wrong dvd out of every 3-5 I order. But, at like 5 bucks a disc I keep coming back ^_^

As for getting things going here, anyone wanna agree on short title to watch and then hold a discussion on it?

I'll likely sit out on the discussion, but I wouldn't mind reading the opinions of everyone else ^_^
My Soul Brings Tears to Satanic Eyes.

If Max Collins, Matt Skiba, Jimmy Urine, & Mark Phillips had a child it would be one fu*ked up mofo, but 'it' would be the God of music.

As-1D R077's temp homepage: http://www.freewebs.com/as1dr077/index.html
I still buy a HK dvd here and there, espcially alot of sets that are out of production in region 1.
aka EngrishMajor
Except for some arcane titles I just got rid of the last of my formerly numerous hk sets, they made up 70% of my collection at one point-sound of taps playing.....!
I love anime-but I still have a life-but not by choice......?
I seem to be getting back into HKDVDs a little bit. They are pretty useful for alot of older series that nobody cares about (except me apparently). I'm watching through my rip of The Dragonbox currently. I kind of miss the days when I used to spend every cent I had on anime DVDs.
?The louder he proclaimed his honor, the faster we counted the spoons.? - Ralph Waldo Emerson
http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/sere...&linkID=36
kakoi_sugoi_yama Wrote:I seem to be getting back into HKDVDs a little bit. They are pretty useful for alot of older series that nobody cares about (except me apparently). I'm watching through my rip of The Dragonbox currently. I kind of miss the days when I used to spend every cent I had on anime DVDs.

The DB or DBZ ones? They're only through the android saga, but you can pick up dbz hella cheap legitimately. Between 20 and 40 eps for sets you can usually find for $20-30 at walmart. The newest one's on sale for $20 at best buy right now.
Cidien Wrote:The DB or DBZ ones? They're only through the android saga, but you can pick up dbz hella cheap legitimately. Between 20 and 40 eps for sets you can usually find for $20-30 at walmart. The newest one's on sale for $20 at best buy right now.

Though unfortunately Funimation decided they knew best and changed the aspect ratio to cropped widescreen.
[Image: IA.jpg]

'The depths of my soul are rooted in dark thoughts. But than we all have darkness and light in us. If we are all light on the outside we are nothing but darkness underneath. There comes a time when the darkness must come to light.'
- Shinobu Sensui -

It is only when you refuse to give in with all your heart that you begin to transcend your humanity. - Alucard

Trade List
R1 Collection
HK Collection