JJ arrested.
Zagatto Wrote:I am amused at the fact that a whole team of RCMP stormed JJ's house. For those that haven't met him, he is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and about as non-threatening as they get. They probably could have sent one guy and JJ would have gone along without any hassle.

EEEK :eek: damn i get a vision of Sam Fisher crashing through the window and a crack team of commandos absailing in through the roof which was blown of prior via misiles and Solid Snaske sneaking up from behind...

joking aside...that would have scared the bejjeeezes out of me... having loads of peops storm in...talk about overkill and wasting tax payers money

anyway i hope everything is going as well as can be expected on the JJ front
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/
Zagatto Wrote:I think one of the reasons they went after JJ rather than other people is that IA is based out of Canada where the laws are a bit different. I know that the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police for those that don't know... kind of like the FBI up here... we also have CSIS which is our version of the CIA) has been cracking down on bootleggers in general up here. One of the malls that is famous for selling bootlegs has been getting a fair amount of press for all the busts that have been happening there.

How is it different? Aren't other sellers selling HKs too? They should be busted instead of JJ...since JJ is seriously one of the nicest sellers I've ever encountered.
rav96 Wrote:EEEK :eek: damn i get a vision of Sam Fisher crashing through the window and a crack team of commandos absailing in through the roof which was blown of prior via misiles and Solid Snaske sneaking up from behind...

joking aside...that would have scared the bejjeeezes out of me... having loads of peops storm in...talk about overkill and wasting tax payers money

anyway i hope everything is going as well as can be expected on the JJ front

Havn't you heard? Canada loves wasting taxpayer money 10x more than America does... and that's pretty damn bad.
I don't know any other online HK retailers from Canada other than JJ. There have been big moves to crack down on the sale of bootlegs in the land of the maple leaf.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
Ok sorry for not too many updates. I was on vacation at my parents so attempted to stay off the inet as much as possible. I will see if i can find out more info about how JJ is doing and future of things here sans the store.
Shit, this sucks. I never post on the forum but I still visit this site frequently to buy anime from time to time. This and the Gamestop I work at are the only places where I could get the best priced anime and it would be a shame if this site goes down like CJV. I just don't trust other sites. I always believed nothing truly illegal was going on here. I thought there was like a loophole with selling HKDVD's.
[Image: JETBEBOP.jpg]
Think loopholes are more for Ebay sellers like sundevil and that sphiatt etc. They don't seem to be getting busted any time soon.
Another thing we don't know fully what JJ is being charged with or even if an american company is behind it or if its the Candadian police that are behind it. Hopefully we will find out all this info out before JJ goes to trial.
Wow, canada must really be different than america then. There's no way they can hold you this long and not even tell you what the charge is...
I think that it's basically a bunch of bs, although I've also gotta admit that I rarely if ever buy hkdvds anymore-for me it's either the netflix burn and return program-or fansubs-or cheap R1's.
I love anime-but I still have a life-but not by choice......?
JJ isn't being held... he's out on bail and one of his conditions is to stay away from the internet (this site in particular).

The Canadian laws on pirated materials are pretty straightforward. If you are distributing bootlegged material then you are breaking the law (you don't even have to be getting paid for it... just distributing).

Schultz posted the biggest question that still hasn't been answered so far, who is prosecuting JJ? Chances are good that it's the Canadian government as there has been a lot of pressure on the government to cut down on piracy activity up here. I'm not sure what that means for JJ in the long run but I'm hoping that he gets away with a slap on the wrist rather than having them make an example of him.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
Chinese saying, Kill one to warn hundreds!
JJ's unlucky. I'm sure there are still many other Canadian bootleg sellers too.
That's messed up. People wouldn't bootleg anime in the first place if they made it affordable. I mean who wants to pay 199.99 for a whole 24-26 episode series? that's ridiculous. i hope he isn't fined too much. he was really doing a great service to people who don't want to fish 200 bucks out of their pocket for one anime series. not to mention he was an honest seller and i always got my dvds quick and on time too.
I paid 30$ Cad for the Madlax Boxset bootleg by Animation Video not long ago, a good sub
a few engrishy name but hell, it's worth it. Bootlegs for life Big Grin
[Image: bl453.png]
Any updates on the situation with JJ? I'm starting to get worried about the poor guy...
[Image: 4c1.jpg]
^^Made by Blight

"If teachers were paid more, we'd be able to afford better drugs." -Eikichi Onizuka