JJ arrested.
From my understanding, at this point everything is hinging on the court date which is still another month or so away. From the sounds of things the head of the task force that shut JJ down was expecting a larger operation with a wherehouse and shipping clerks, not just JJ in his parent's basement making daily trips to the post office to earn some extra beer money.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
Zagatto Wrote:From my understanding, at this point everything is hinging on the court date which is still another month or so away. From the sounds of things the head of the task force that shut JJ down was expecting a larger operation with a wherehouse and shipping clerks, not just JJ in his parent's basement making daily trips to the post office to earn some extra beer money.

Ah, It's comforting to know this for a couple of reasons. First, is that it's good to know Government Intelligence is an oxymoron else where too. But more importantly, if they try to make an example of out of a operation this small, they will just piss people off for picking on the little guy.
[Image: kakashianbubanner3psdva9.jpg]
"OMFG, let me rush onto my NOAHS ARC!" by JunkieJoe
I know anyone who deals in hks runs this risk eventualy, but its pretty sad the police can't do enough of an investigation to know that they werent dealing with some kind of international hk dvd magnate.

A little work would probably have shown them what their finding out know, that they wasted their time and the tax payers money.

Yes bootlegging is a crime, but what do you use your money and resources for. Got to pick your battles, and at the end of the day did they accomplish much, nope.
In dis country u gota make da money first, den wen u get da money u get da power, and den wen u get da power, den u get da woman
Wow.. I've been away for quite some time and this is certainly quite the thing to come back to.
Somehow though, this news doesn't come as a total surprise to me. I kinda figured there would be legal trouble of some sort somewhere down the line. Although a team of RCMP officers does seem a little excessive. I always just figured that someone would threaten to sue or something.

Zagatto Wrote:JJ isn't being held... he's out on bail and one of his conditions is to stay away from the internet (this site in particular).

The Canadian laws on pirated materials are pretty straightforward. If you are distributing bootlegged material then you are breaking the law (you don't even have to be getting paid for it... just distributing).

Schultz posted the biggest question that still hasn't been answered so far, who is prosecuting JJ? Chances are good that it's the Canadian government as there has been a lot of pressure on the government to cut down on piracy activity up here. I'm not sure what that means for JJ in the long run but I'm hoping that he gets away with a slap on the wrist rather than having them make an example of him.

From my understanding, at this point everything is hinging on the court date which is still another month or so away. From the sounds of things the head of the task force that shut JJ down was expecting a larger operation with a wherehouse and shipping clerks, not just JJ in his parent's basement making daily trips to the post office to earn some extra beer money.

Is JJ actually planning on defending himself? Cause from what I've heard so far, it seems like a clear-cut case and he'd be better just to plead guilty and hope for a lesser sentence. Not to mention the legal fees that go with a trial. :eek:

The funny thing about this case, is that the folks over at places like Pacific Mall have to make at least 10x if not more, than what JJ is making here, and they actually MAKE 90% of their dvds in the basement of the mall lol.
[Image: kogepansigcopy.jpg]
don't know what it's like in the Canadian system but in the American system the judge wont' go easy on you cause you plead guilty. and making an original plea of not guilty gives you a lot more options and then you can settle out of court with the prosecuting lawyer. if the RMCP didn't turn up a major operation theres a chance they will just want to cut their losses and get out. on the other hand this sounds more like a political move cause no one was directly hurt by JJ selling anime. without knowing all the politics or the money flow its hard to say what the influences are on this case so its hard to see what the legel system will see as a acceptable loss and what they can get out of JJ.
Zagatto pretty much posted the latest we have. Well besides JJ actually going back to Collage for something to do. (Only taking 1 class though) He still can't leave his city were he leaves. And from what i remember with talking with him is his preliminary court appearence will be early Febuary. And he still doesn't know who is actually charging him.
Ive been away for a couple a months. Althought i dont write much in the forum, i loved reading it. Im really sorry for what happen to JJ and hope that it all turns alright for him. Its a shame that good guys always get fxxxxd by the larger industries. Ill continue visiting the forum to see any updates on the situation. Best of luck to JJ. My thoughts are with you man.
Schultz Wrote:Zagatto pretty much posted the latest we have. Well besides JJ actually going back to Collage for something to do. (Only taking 1 class though) He still can't leave his city were he leaves. And from what i remember with talking with him is his preliminary court appearence will be early Febuary. And he still doesn't know who is actually charging him.

I'd assume that its the gov't who's charging him. Larger companies can pressure the Government into arresting/charging you, but I don't know that they have the power to do it themselves. Larger companies can sue you, but I don't know that lawsuits generally involve an arrest, do they? Usually it's that one follows the other (Arrest, followed by Lawsuits/ Lawsuits followed by arrest)

chino Wrote:Ive been away for a couple a months. Althought i dont write much in the forum, i loved reading it. Im really sorry for what happen to JJ and hope that it all turns alright for him. Its a shame that good guys always get fxxxxd by the larger industries. Ill continue visiting the forum to see any updates on the situation. Best of luck to JJ. My thoughts are with you man.

No offence to anyone, JJ included, but I don't know that I'd describe JJ as one of the "good guys". Yeah, he provided excellent services, cheap anime, and he's an awsome guy but what he's selling isn't exactly legal in the first place. Thats why I said earlier that this arrest doesn't come as a total surprise to me cause, well, you know what they say about playing with fire.
[Image: kogepansigcopy.jpg]
vegeta76 Wrote:No offence to anyone, JJ included, but I don't know that I'd describe JJ as one of the "good guys". Yeah, he provided excellent services, cheap anime, and he's an awsome guy but what he's selling isn't exactly legal in the first place. Thats why I said earlier that this arrest doesn't come as a total surprise to me cause, well, you know what they say about playing with fire.

Non taken, what you say its true but remember that everybody breaks the law at least once in their life time and that doesnt make you a "bad person". For me it depends on the time of crime you are commiting. At least, thats my point of view, but all and all you are probably right. My thought are still with JJ, good luck.
Well damn. I never usually read the forums and just found out. Ive been buying from him for a few years now and I have to say, JJ is an awesome guy and has always went the extra mile when I had an issue with a disk. Truely a dark day for anime buffs.
~Kaioh
Well, JJ is sort of like the Joker, he was created by his enemies. Our enemy is the american production companies who edit destory and ruin anime then split a short 26 ep series across 10 discs and expect us to pay $200 for it. There was a serious need for people like JJ otherwise most anime fans would never get the chance to see lots of great anime. If the production companies stopped destroying anime and charged decent rates ala JJ's then there would not be the need for the JJ's.

Godspeed JJ
geo85 Wrote:Well, JJ is sort of like the Joker, he was created by his enemies. Our enemy is the american production companies who edit destory and ruin anime then split a short 26 ep series across 10 discs and expect us to pay $200 for it. There was a serious need for people like JJ otherwise most anime fans would never get the chance to see lots of great anime. If the production companies stopped destroying anime and charged decent rates ala JJ's then there would not be the need for the JJ's.

Godspeed JJ

I like JJ too but hes not some kind of rebel fighting the big evil anime system in america. Don't start the big anime compaines in america are evil rant we have all heard it too much and the argument that comes out of it solves nothing. Hes not a political prisoner, but hes not some evil guy either. This is just how the world is.
In dis country u gota make da money first, den wen u get da money u get da power, and den wen u get da power, den u get da woman
Hidalgo Wrote:I like JJ too but hes not some kind of rebel fighting the big evil anime system in america. Don't start the big anime compaines in america are evil rant we have all heard it too much and the argument that comes out of it solves nothing. Hes not a political prisoner, but hes not some evil guy either. This is just how the world is.

Eactly. He's not like Robin Hood, people wouldn't starve without anime. The only reason people buy HKs is because they are cheap asses. The money could be saved up and spent on R1s but people want as much as they can get for as cheap as they can get.
The fact is that America is a consumerist state. We have a market driven economy where people want as much as they can get for their dollar. People are going to sell hks, its that simple. Its illegal, that doesn't inherently mean its wrong. Remember lots of bad things were legal at one point in time. Now i realize JJ is canadian but the same sort of rules apply. Its a free market from what I can tell.

Its foolish to think you can get rid of hk anime or any other form of bootleg material. Its just not possible. You can only hope to keep it to a minimum. Now busting JJ, thats small fry. Id say not worth your effort, but you can get to him so it probably makes it easier. And people like to do what they can accomplish.

So end of the day

JJ got busted, he knew what he was doing. If you feel bad for him you have every right to he is a good person. But dont act like hes a maryter

On the other side if you think he desrves what he gets thats fine too, but if you bought anime from him i wouldnt be too zealous there.

Just remember that the world isnt being done any big service by him getting arrested.
Sad, very sad news.
They should be tracking Paris Hilton & friends for heavy coke usage instead; not JJ for selling 3 HK sets. Sad world we live in.