JJ arrested.
to each what they can give

i gave what i could i also don't feel its enough to repay what i have gained but it was all i could for the time being. and none of this will earn us credits towards anything so anything given is generous.
Ya every little bit helps no matter how small. Again just no real update JJ is basically still waiting on the Crown. He said he was going to be hopefully talking to his lawyer in the upcoming week and try to find an update from him.
I haven't been here in quite some time, and I was never a regular poster. However, this is the only site I've ever purchased HKs from, and I was so pleased with it that I made sure it was the site most of my friends got their HKs from as well.

I came back to this site around March or so, after being incredibly dissatisfied with the GitS2: Innocence R1, I was curious to see if anyone had released a HK disc with the R2 dub. I saw the news about JJ, and the general desolation here and decided to hold out a month or two for further developments.

It sounds like things are going pretty well for a guy that had been arrested under serious circumstances. I figured that well I'm checking back, I should post to wish luck to JJ and your community.
It's been a while since we've had any updates. Does anyone have any new information? I hope JJ is doing all right.
Currently Watching: Ouran High School Host Club
All time favorite: Cowboy Bebop
2nd Favorite: Berserk and Evangelion (a tie)
Ok for the long awaited update.

JJ's case is finally overwith. So i will start with the good news.
JJ isn't going to have a criminal record or will have to do any jail time. They ended up dropping the 4 criminal charges and going with 1 civial charges. But now for the sucky. He ended up getting a $50k fine and is put on probation for 2 years which during that time he is not allowed to own or touch any equipment that is capable of recording dvds and he is not allowed to use the internet with the exception of work and school. Though he will be getting back all his legal dvd's and stuff with the exception of his computers.
50k Ouch! Ah well, I guess it was really one of the better possible outcomes.
[Image: kogepansigcopy.jpg]
Why isn't he getting his computers back? Can just take out the dvd burner and put a normal dvd drive in it. Also, why isn't he allowed to record dvd's... not like he owned FX and ran the company out of his basement. The prosecutors don't seem to have any idea what they are doing...

Anyways, very good the criminal charges were dropped. Good luck to him.
I'm glad the criminal charges were dropped and JJ doesn't have to go to jail.

Anyway, the 50k is quite a lot. I thought it would be less. Than again, I don't have a clue as to what the fines could be. I'm not familiar with that part of the law (and I hope I'll never be).
In the spirit of the 50k, let me please jump in here with a, "Don't forget that there is a donate button right at the top of this screen."
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
Yes i agree they seemed not very knowledge able. But would you rather try to fight it in court via criminal cases and have all the lawyer fee's and go to jail? Plus the other part of not allowed to use the internet. He isn't even suppose to have a phone that can access the internet.
Cidien Wrote:The prosecutors don't seem to have any idea what they are doing...

Schultz Wrote:Yes i agree they seemed not very knowledge able.

Its been awhile since Ive, been to the this site because I found a better HK provider. But, damn, this is kinda shocking(well, not really).

As a law student, I assure you the prosecutors and courts know exactly what they are doing. Lets face it, JJ was doing something illegal, the distribution of copy righted material with out concent of the licence holder. Furthermore, JJ was aware of his actions. Wether you agree with it(Im sure most of you dont) or not; a law was setup by your government by people you and your state voted for, and JJ broke those copy right laws.

I guarantee JJ punishment could have been much worse. The fact that they droped 4 criminal charges that could have landed him in a federal pound you in the ass prison, for a simple civil charge is amazing. And $50,000 is not that bad considering. But, life will suck for JJ, but he knew the risks, and now must face the consequences.

I didnt say any of this to be hateful or mean, its just the bear facts of it all. I wish the best for JJ.
Well actually from legal perspective JJ probably could of gotten off but the 50k fine was probably cheaper then if he would of went to court and had to expense legel fee's. Because Canada would have to get the big media companys from japan to come over and defend there copyrights. As it was canada that busted him and not the media companys themselves pushing for this.

Also from talking with JJ they had been watching him for about 3 years now. And the problem with the case is they were actually thinking he was doing more because they couldn't find anything. Since they didn't find JJ making tons of money they thought or assumed that he was exceptional at money laundering. They were digging hard to try to find information to belive what they assumed which they really didn't. What they found out he was a small time nothing big. They had multiple squad cars watch his house all the time. People follow him for a few years.. Think of how much money was wasted for such a smalltime person. Too bad they didn't put that resources to other things.
Schultz Wrote:Well actually from legal perspective JJ probably could of gotten off but the 50k fine was probably cheaper then if he would of went to court and had to expense legel fee's. Because Canada would have to get the big media companys from japan to come over and defend there copyrights. As it was canada that busted him and not the media companys themselves pushing for this.

Also from talking with JJ they had been watching him for about 3 years now. And the problem with the case is they were actually thinking he was doing more because they couldn't find anything. Since they didn't find JJ making tons of money they thought or assumed that he was exceptional at money laundering. They were digging hard to try to find information to belive what they assumed which they really didn't. What they found out he was a small time nothing big. They had multiple squad cars watch his house all the time. People follow him for a few years.. Think of how much money was wasted for such a smalltime person. Too bad they didn't put that resources to other things.

Canada huh? Well since US/Canadian borders are more or less open, I beleive our legal system can easily extend its reach into Canada, to some extent. Yea, more than likely the 50k would be cheaper and a quicker resolve to the infringment of the licencing company. Just a minor correction to your post. I doubt the courts would need a representative from the Japanese companies. All that would be needed would be proof of licencing and/or affidavit from the Japan production company.
surfrider777 Wrote:Its been awhile since Ive, been to the this site because I found a better HK provider. But, damn, this is kinda shocking(well, not really).

As a law student, I assure you the prosecutors and courts know exactly what they are doing.

So let me get this straight: You're a LAW STUDENT and buying illegal products from another HK provider.

You're going to make one hell of a lawyer.:mad:
50K is not a lot of money here for a case like that, in the US he could have ended up in the 6 or 7 digit fine

No computer for 2 years except school, poor guy, now THAT's a punishment Big Grin
[Image: bl453.png]