Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Ghost In the Shell Standalone Complex/ NGE Uncut
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I was wondering as fan of GITS the movie, whether i would appreciate the show.

Also, what is the difference between NGE Directors Cut (on the ADV website now) and the original perfect collection (R1, ADV)
Well GITS is way different then NGE. NGE is a deep semi-mecha story and well it is older then GITS. If you like thought provoking stories then NGE should be a good one for you.

Director's cut from what I've heard all it has commentary and a few extra mins of footage here and there. Just get the regular stuff cause the cut only has a few eps and is 80 bucks. Just something to make money.
i believe he was asking how GITS stand alone complex is compared to the original movie.

i am interested in this too, as i am a big fan of the movie.

what is the general concensus around here?
GITS:SC is loosly based on the stories from the manga. So you can think of it as the prequil to the movie. I have seen a few episodes and enjoyed them greatly. They all follow the same flow as the movie had, a serious actionpacked sci-fi cop drama, touching a bit into the "souls" of machines. There is also a bit of lighthearted comedy brought in by the to series by the Fuchikomas, mini-tank like robots with an innocent-childlike qualities, that operate within the organization.

I would definately recommend watching this series if you liked the movie.
GITS:SAC, just like the movie, is loosely based on the Shirow Manga. If you read the manga (as I just did), you can see where several of the series stories and the movie came from.

However, I find the manga more lighthearted than both the series and movie. The series actually goes into more details of the universe from the manga that the movie skipped (probably for time constraints) - namely the tachicomas/fuchicomas. The series world has a lot of elements I find disturbing/make you think, in a good way. Like the extent of hacking, cyberbrains, ai... Eg, what the Laugher is able to achieve on a global scale; how easily humanity has forgone "humanity" for technology; the jamieson cyborgs.

Definitely worth a viewing as a fan of the movie.
Ya i know eva well, i have the perf coll. as well as both movies. GITS:SAC sounded interesting though since im a fan of the movie.
I probably should have included this in the thread to begin with but...

Is the Patlabor series anything like the movies, i own all three and loved them but was never really sure on the series. If it is, could someone reccommend the best HK set which contains all episodes.
Definitely on the Patlabor series. For the OVA 1 I'd suggest the R1 release - it isn't that expensive, and the HK ones are total chinglish from reviews here. The TV series and OVA 2 series is not fully available R1, and the HK sets aren't too bad sub wise - mainly name screwups, which is OK-ish when you know the characters to hear their names being spoken..
Quote:Originally posted by napalm68
Definitely on the Patlabor series. For the OVA 1 I'd suggest the R1 release - it isn't that expensive, and the HK ones are total chinglish from reviews here. The TV series and OVA 2 series is not fully available R1, and the HK sets aren't too bad sub wise - mainly name screwups, which is OK-ish when you know the characters to hear their names being spoken..

Uhh... Im kinda lost. All i know is there are three movies, 1, 2, WXIII (3), and i own all R1. Now i dont know anything about the series. Maybe you could give me info on the series, i dont even know what OVA means, let alone 1 and 2. I used to be under the impression OVA was moviie.

<-------------------------------- My user title is obviously suited to me Big Grin
Yah the Ghost in the shell the tv series has stunning animation and has a pritty good story any Ghost in the Shell fan should watch this its an awsome series a bit different from the movie. but reallly godd
Quote:Originally posted by Thinders
Uhh... Im kinda lost. All i know is there are three movies, 1, 2, WXIII (3), and i own all R1. Now i dont know anything about the series. Maybe you could give me info on the series, i dont even know what OVA means, let alone 1 and 2. I used to be under the impression OVA was moviie.

<-------------------------------- My user title is obviously suited to me Big Grin

Have a look here:
Patlabor the Anime

Basically, Patlabor started off with an OVA series.

Then they made the movie, then a tv series and then a second OVA series. The second OVA series is in the TV series universe, and actually completes a story started in the TV series. Then there are the other two movies that got made somewhere in ther.

The TV series has partially been released in R1, so HK is the only option here. The first OVA series has an R1 release which would beat anything available HK wise.

Check out reviews here for the HK ones.
Thanks a lot, clears it all up. Could someone give me a link to the DVD in the DVD Review section of this site that corresponds to this series:
http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~mwhitley/ovas1.htm
Dude you are really pushing it. We aren't your god damn slaves. We have given you more than enough help. Find it yourself.
You know what buddy? I dont know which one is which okay, they both say OVA Series in the title. If you have enough damn time on ur hands to come into a damn thread and argue, how about u do something productive and help me out.

I never specifically asked you anyways moron, so if it was too hard for you to help me again, so be it. But if thats the case, dont come telling me to go find it myself, i looked, and i found one, but i wasnt sure if it was the right so i was looking for some help from the regulars.

And just so u know, if it was too much damn work, there was no need for you to get pissed, you just didnt need to respond.
Here's one of the links ( I was the last person to review this set!): http://import-anime.com/review.php?item_id=575

Spend the extra money and get the R1 set. You said you've already got the R1 movies and the first OVAs are set in the same 'universe' (or the other way around to be more precise).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7