Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Ghost In the Shell Standalone Complex/ NGE Uncut
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Live action on anime hummmmmmmm

what comes to mind

*Fist Of The North Star*

watched it yday as it came on TV, major league sucks
No, the purpose of anime is to produce shows that are out of the bounds (in my opinion) of live actors, beyond their capabilities whether because of physical limitations or other contraints. Now obviosuly in some cases anime is used sheerly for its effect, but i wouldnt disregard a live action eva just yet, you never know how it may turn out.
Quote:Originally posted by Thinders
No, the purpose of anime is to produce shows that are out of the bounds (in my opinion) of live actors, beyond their capabilities whether because of physical limitations or other contraints.

That's the main reason I watch anime. Because alot of the scenes in most shows can't be done or would just cost waaaaaay too much to be done even with the advancements that have been made with CG and special effects recently. Think about it.

Like with Bebop for example. imagine how much it would cost to create all those worlds and then have all those spaceships flying around everywhere or the spacegates, or the scenes where Ed is surfing the net. Just the Mad Pierrot episode would take a long time and an incredible amount of money to create live action. And in the end, I still don't think it'd look nearly as good as the anime.
or, take an anime vs live action series of the same show. GTO for example, is ridiculous. However, the cartoon is meant to be ridiculous since it's a spastic comedy (much like something like Dragon Half an WB cartoons). However, when translated into live action, it's terrible.

Now, for something like Die Hard, I'd rather watch Live action over anime, since a lot of times, action animes aren't up to live action par unless it involves something that live actors can't do, or something that looks stupid with CGI. Case in point, gunsmith cats is boring, but Cowboy Bebop is great, because of the futuristic setting, ships and outer space action. Trigun is cool because of how good a shot Vash is. Now take kung fu. Animated kung fu is a lot of times subpar. I think the only examples of animated kung fu I like are Cowboy Bebop and Dragon Ball.

Now, if I were to watch a drama, I'd much rather watch live action than anime, since a lot of times, drama animes seem to have lower budgets since there's a lot less action and a lot less special effects. The animation looks boring and/or lower grade. On top of that, they use a lot of "poignant" still frames to express emotion, which translates to lazy animators and a boring show.
Quote:Originally posted by kakomu

Now, if I were to watch a drama, I'd much rather watch live action than anime, since a lot of times, drama animes seem to have lower budgets since there's a lot less action and a lot less special effects. The animation looks boring and/or lower grade. On top of that, they use a lot of "poignant" still frames to express emotion, which translates to lazy animators and a boring show.

The one thing that I do like about anime dramas is the facial expressions or the superdeformed or chibi versions of them. In something like Marmalade Boy, I love it when you see her with all those SD faces or the sweatdrop or anything like that.

the other thing is that it leaves alot up to the imagination. Like if a real actress was to play Miki in Marmalade boy or Kyoko in Maison Ikkoku, you'd be focused on the image of that actress. Like if sarah Michelle Gellar played her, I might be sitting here going 'she's not that hot, why are all the guys sweating her'. So it's kinda like how Roger Ebert described the kids in Grave of the Fireflies: It makes more of a lasting impression because you're stuck with the idea of a little kid going through all that rather than focusing on a specific actor.
I agree with vicious up to a point, i think anime must be used for those things which are infeasible/ difficult to make using real humans. One thing i love.... NO BAD ACTORS/ACTRESSES IN ANIME!
NO JUST BAD DUBSWink
ya but dubs suck anyways so who the hell cares. Just watch in jap, the sync is usually pretty good.
ya but dubs suck anyways so who the hell cares. Just watch in jap, the sync is usually pretty good.

Quote:20. No Dub vs Sub threads. (Dub and Sub threads are allowed) We could argue what is better until we go blue in the face - there is no right answer. We'll avoid the flame war without them in general.

Posted in the rules. YOur quote is an obvious instigation to start a sub vs dub debate.
No, no it wasnt. Im a noobie. i dont care if anyone else like dubs im just saying i dont. Also, this wasnt the start of a thread, simply a component of a conversation.
No, no it wasnt. Im a noobie. i dont care if anyone else like dubs im just saying i dont. Also, this wasnt the start of a thread, simply a component of a conversation.

It was exactly that! YOu wanted to argue that you thought that there were no good dubs. An obvious instigation. Second, I never said it was the start of a thread, just the start of an instigation (which it is). We don't need to hear people's opinions on dubs in general, since it ultimately leads to a subvs dub debate (look at any sub vs dub debate in any forum. It's initiated by someone making broad sweeping generalizations about the English Dubs, or comparing the English track to the Japanese track in a broad and sweepping manner (which you just did) and we don't need you to start that sort of thing, even if you are new. Even if you are new, you should have at least read the rules and know the types of things to post!

I totally agree with Kakomu. You were trying to start something by making your stupid statement. Normally I'd be the 1st one to defend dubs, but I'm starting to realize that there are too many ignorant people who deem themselves 'otakus' and think they know everything. Live in your ignorant little world and be happy. what difference does it make to me?

And being a noobie is not an excuse and the 'it wasn't the start of a thread, but simply a component of a conversation' is the most riduculous and pathetic excuse I've ever heard.

I think you're a dumbass!!! (But look, it's not the start of the thread, so therefore it makes it OK for me to say that.) Rolleyes
Quote:Originally posted by Vicious
I totally agree with Kakomu. You were trying to start something by making your stupid statement. Normally I'd be the 1st one to defend dubs, but I'm starting to realize that there are too many ignorant people who deem themselves 'otakus' and think they know everything. Live in your ignorant little world and be happy. what difference does it make to me?

Ahh, come on Vicious. I'm still counting on you to use your vocabular skills the next time this issue comes up. I noticed we often feel the same way about certain issues but you are way better in putting them to words (in english) . Don't let me down nowBig Grin
Before you crucify the guy, his comment was more or less just actually a response to someone elses comment.

Quote:Originally posted by rav96
NO JUST BAD DUBSWink

Thanks, but I'm currently in a discussion with a mod about why my thread at AoD was locked. It's not good to start a war on too many fronts at one time. Wink

Too late to tell you guys this now, but Heat Guy J, Last Exile, and Texhnolyze DVD's were mispriced at $8.99 at bestbuy.com yesterday. They've already changed back the prices, so no use in checking now. This included the Limited Edition boxsets. I got all of Heat Guy J. Hopefully they honor it. and I picked up 3 of the Last Exile boxes that MSRP for $45 for $9 a piece. I saw Japschin on AIM last night and told her though. So hopefully she got in on the deal.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7