World Cup 2006
Anyone folowing the world cup football besides me and Andromeda?

For me and most men in europe this is the biggest sports event on earth, bigger than the olympics. Well, atleast its more important but there's only 1 prize. I took a 2 and a half week holiday to watch the matches and the weather noticed since its over 30 degrees celcius here which is HOT for me.

So far the tournament has been awesome with a few upsetes like Australia winning 3-1 from Japan. The US lost their first match from Tsjech Republic but that's no shame since they have a very good team. My country won their first match 1-0 from Serbia Montenegro and Portugal won their first match from Angola which was quite a loaded match because of their history as a colony of Portugal.

Its really insane over here with alot of people wearing orange and every street has some orange decorated parts.
So far no hooligans on the news so that's also good. These guys can destroy a good mood for entire Germany if they decide to start rioting. Lets hope England/Germany/Italy stay in the tournament for a while since they have the worst hooligans.

So, who else is watching it? Is their anything going on in the US with the sport? Last world cup they came pretty far I think.
No and I honestly couldn't care less if I tried.
[Image: IA.jpg]

'The depths of my soul are rooted in dark thoughts. But than we all have darkness and light in us. If we are all light on the outside we are nothing but darkness underneath. There comes a time when the darkness must come to light.'
- Shinobu Sensui -

It is only when you refuse to give in with all your heart that you begin to transcend your humanity. - Alucard

Trade List
R1 Collection
HK Collection
elcoholic Wrote:So, who else is watching it? Is their anything going on in the US with the sport? Last world cup they came pretty far I think.

As far as what's going on with it it the US I hear a lot on the news and talk radio how almost no one in the US cares about the world cup at all. I guess I'm included in the lack of interest crowd myself, it just seems like a kind of slow version of Hockey to me and I don't care much for Hockey to begin with.
I check the scores every day. I remember when the World Cup was in the US back in the 90s (I think it was 92) and I got to see a few of the games live. That was an awesome experience being there for the games and I can understand why you would use your vacation time to go to Germany for this.

Enjoy your vacation.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
the matchs are played at 6am, 9am, and 12 where i am. it's a litle hard to get up for the 6am game but i have made a few. the rest i watch. and yeah, the us got beat worse than any other team so far. they really looked bad out there, after the third goal i just stoppped watching. there have been some really good games so far though, germany and costa rica what an opener!
uno...dos...tres...el shoompo
lol the US doesn't care because its one of the biggest sports they aren't actually good at. But yeh in England the World cup is the biggest thing around - and even me, an avid hater of football gets into it in this cup. The england match I watched was a bit dissapointing, although they won - it was a boring kind of game that doesn't give me much hope in them winning the cup. (Esp with the whole rooney thing) The first germany game was quite entertaining - I agree with Elcoholic, lets hope england stays in there a while (and possibly win?)
For you info a lot of people in the us follow football, including me. I usually watch a lot of the south american games, in this world cup I am rooting for Italy, I kind of go back and forth between Italy and england from one year to the next cause my moms from england and my dad Italy so I have to represent both.
The one team I always enjoyed watching in the past was Camaroon. Those guys looked like they were having more fun playing the game than anyone else. I'd rather see some guys having a good time playing a game than see a team play only with the rules and winning in mind.

I think that people forget about the fun inherent in competition too often and forget to compete just for the joy of competing (my soccer team won the state championship back in '88 so I'm not some loser looking for an excuse to keep on going).
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
The world cup is huge here as well! The Portuguese are completely crazy when it comes to football. You can see the nation's flags on just about every window!
Personaly, I don't believe Portugal can win. Spain on the other hand stands a seriously good chance of winning. They murdered Ukraine! :eek: And not just because Ukraine was bad, but because they played very well.
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
The World Cup isn't really that big in the US. I mean, they talk about it on the Sports shows and stuff, but most people don't care about it nearly as much as the NBA finals which are also going on right now. Although, I do think the World Cup is getting higher ratings than the NHL finals.

I'm personally rooting for Elcoholics Holland team to win. Simply because I like their orange jerseys and team colors. :p
Can lump me into the not caring group. I don't care about any sports but american football a little, but I really don't understand why people go so insane about football (soccer). I don't think it has much to do with america not being great at the sport. I mean at basketball finals and stuff you don't people going nearly as insane as soccer in other countries. Not to mention all those idiots that actually riot and destroy stuff when their team loses. Or wins sometimes...

Riots don't happen often obviously but compare it to pretty much all other sports combined and you get a lotta insane mob mentality for some reason.
Cidien Wrote:Riots don't happen often obviously but compare it to pretty much all other sports combined and you get a lotta insane mob mentality for some reason.

I never understood the mob stuff and violent fans either. Not to mention the racism. I didn't know it was so bad until I was watching a special on TV the other day. They were showing how fans would boo and make racist remarks to blacks on their own teams.
Watch a film called the football factory! It's amazing, all about the 'firms' that go out fighting. I hate football though. Most sports to be honest. I just go along to the pub and drink when it's on. Just an excuse to go and get wasted with my mates, couldn't care if England won or not. It's everywhere in England though. Everyone has these stupid English flags on their cars and hanging out of windows. The flag doesn't even look good, just looks like some symbol of hooliganism.
The film Hooligans is also a good one. Its with that hobbit guy from LotR (forgot his name).

Anyway, small update. Holland has reached the second round after 2 matches by beating Ivory coast. Now we have to play a match for the no.1 spot in the group against maybe the strongest team in the championship: Argentina. Sucks that the match is pretty much for nothing or else it could be the best one yet.

England and Portugal are also through to the second round. The Us had quite an upset by playing 1-1 against Italy. That was a rough game with 3 red cards.

Its possible for my country to meet Portugal in the next round. That'll be fun since they beat us in the semi-finals in the euro cup 2 years ago.

Anyway, on to the finals.
Elcoholic Wrote:The film Hooligans is also a good one. Its with that hobbit guy from LotR (forgot his name).

It's called Green Street in the UK. That's awful though. Real Hollywood cash in. None of the accents sound real either. It's so bad I actually thought it was one of the funniest films I'd seen in a while. Elijah Wood a hooligan? "Stand your ground and fight!" lol.