World Cup 2006
I'm definitely rooting for Germany now that England is out.
animeshop Wrote:lol and this is how I feel Sad Sad Sad

Oh well, we all know England aren't good at penalities anyway. Sniff sniff... here's to the next world cup when England can at least get a good manager not crappy Sven.

England is undoubtedly a great team they were just unlucky (luck is also a part of the game). Hope you're not too sad. Sad

Elcoholic Wrote:Yeah, you're not making yourself popular here Andromeda Sad

No but seriously, congratulations. Must be a hell of a party over there. Have fun and i hope for you they'll get to the finals. I myself like the French team, or atleast they're the only ones the Dutch team doesn't have a history with of losing to them and I'm happy they kicked out Brazil tonight.

It is one hell of a party here, you wouldn't believe it. I left my house a little before the extra time and there wasn't a single person on the streets which is saying a lot considering it was a sunny Saturday afternoon. About a minute after it was over all hell broke loose! The streets filled up with people shouting and honking their horns, it was insane! From what I saw on tv, the same thing happened in Paris, the Portuguese living there took hold of the Avenue des Champs-Élysées. Same thing must have happened in other places as well. Most Portuguese don't have the best of self-esteems (as far as being Portuguese goes) so when something like this happens people become genuinely happy and proud of their country (what football does to people! Big Grin ).

I'm also glad France kicked Brazil out. Big Grin Not that I have anything against Brazil but I know plenty of Brazilians and they all have this "we're the best of the world" attitute that really annoys me! I rather watch Portugal lose against France than against Brazil. But it surely is going to be a tough game, the French team wasn't exactly playing well in the first round but all of a sudden they decided to live up to their reputation! Amazing! If they beat us I hope they win this world cup!
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
animeshop Wrote:Oh well, we all know England aren't good at penalities anyway. Sniff sniff... here's to the next world cup when England can at least get a good manager not crappy Sven.

I know. People walked out of the pub I was in when it got to penalties because they knew we were going to lose. :mad:
gubi-gubi Wrote:I know. People walked out of the pub I was in when it got to penalties because they knew we were going to lose. :mad:

Well, fair is fair. The Portugese goaly played a very good penalty shootout. He's a very good keeper. Must be the new national hero, atleast till the next match.
Italy beats Germany, France beats portugal
Italy takes the cup
Forza Italy!!!

geo85 Wrote:Italy beats Germany, France beats portugal
Italy takes the cup
Forza Italy!!!

I'll never be for Italy. They play the sneakiest, ugliest football arround. Nevermind the scandal over there now and them trying to get a German player suspended for something that happened in the Argentina match.

I won't be for Portugal since they lay on the ground crying more than they play and that Ronaldo is an asshole for what he did to Rooney who is his teammate in England.

I won't be for Germany because they're German.

Only ones left is France.

Finals : Germany - France. France wins 3-0.
Forza Italy!!!
Forza Italy!!!
Forza Italy!!!
[SIZE=2]This was an awesome clean win, both last minute goals were clean righteous goals by the awesome Italians. Every team has been playing dirty but this was a pure skill victory, Italy is taking the Cup and thats final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/SIZE]
geo85 Wrote:Forza Italy!!!
Forza Italy!!!
Forza Italy!!!
[SIZE=2]This was an awesome clean win, both last minute goals were clean righteous goals by the awesome Italians. Every team has been playing dirty but this was a pure skill victory, Italy is taking the Cup and thats final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/SIZE]

AMEN to that !!!!!!!!!!!! Viva La Italy!!!!!
There's no point introducing myself to the death.

My R1 Collection
My HK Collection
geo85 Wrote:Forza Italy!!!
Forza Italy!!!
Forza Italy!!!

[/SIZE]

Well, i got to admit, they played a hell of a match last night. Very un-Italian football since they usually play very defensive resulting in boring matches. But last night's match was probably the best one yet. They showed they got a very good team.

Congratulations guys.
Elcoholic Wrote:that Ronaldo is an asshole for what he did to Rooney who is his teammate in England.

I won't be for Germany because they're German.

I don't like Ronaldo either. He's a conceited moron who loves to show-off way too much!

What do you mean you won't be for Germany because they're German? Anything against the German?

We just lost against France. Sad Oh well, the team did better than I expected and even if they didn't win the cup they did very well. Smile
Most of last nights match was not very good for Portugal football I think. They were taking dives left and right. I was following the commentary in Dutch and in English on the bbc and they all had a laugh every time someone took another dive. When they realized they didn't have the ref on their side they started playing like they should have all allong. I really think Portugal would have won if they just played like they did the last quarter. They had France against the ropes.

Quote: What do you mean you won't be for Germany because they're German? Anything against the German?

Its hard to explain. Partly leftover from WW2, partly becuase of previous football matches, partly because we just don't like the Germans. I think you can best compare it too the French and English supporters. They'll never be for the other team no matter what. You have to live here to understand.
Both teams took dives, but portugal more than france. Dont know how the players think that will help them score goals???

There were some cheap shots and retaliations which I didnt expect to see, but in any case all the teams that made it to the quater and semi finals had to a great team to begin with so I congradulate all the teams for some great matches.

Though, I dont see why they play for third place, that just adds insult to injury, after losing in the semi's you lose again for third place, thats just mean, I think there should only be recognition to the cup winning team, of course some congratulations all around but who cares about 2cnd and third.
Elcoholic Wrote:Most of last nights match was not very good for Portugal football I think. They were taking dives left and right. I was following the commentary in Dutch and in English on the bbc and they all had a laugh every time someone took another dive. When they realized they didn't have the ref on their side they started playing like they should have all allong. I really think Portugal would have won if they just played like they did the last quarter. They had France against the ropes.

What's done is done, now I just want to see France take the cup home (nothing against Italy though :p)

Elcoholic Wrote:Its hard to explain. Partly leftover from WW2, partly becuase of previous football matches, partly because we just don't like the Germans. I think you can best compare it too the French and English supporters. They'll never be for the other team no matter what. You have to live here to understand.

The French and the English are well known for not liking each other very much, I'm just surprised the same happens with the Dutch and the German. I actually thought you guys got along well, seeing as you are neighbouring countries. I suppose I'm being influenced by the fact that, despite a healthly bit of rivalry, we get along with the Spanish very well. But you know, WW2 ended more than 60 years ago which means the vast majority of the German population living nowadays had nothing to do with it. The way I see it, it's pointless to hold a grudge against people who were involved in it as much as you were. Knowing history is the best way not to repeat it but we can't let the past affect the present/future negatively.

geo85 Wrote:Though, I dont see why they play for third place, that just adds insult to injury, after losing in the semi's you lose again for third place, thats just mean, I think there should only be recognition to the cup winning team, of course some congratulations all around but who cares about 2cnd and third.

I agree. And knowing how the Portuguese team is, they probably feel so depressed right now they're going to suck in the game against Germany.
Andromeda18_ Wrote:The French and the English are well known for not liking each other very much, I'm just surprised the same happens with the Dutch and the German. I actually thought you guys got along well, seeing as you are neighbouring countries. I suppose I'm being influenced by the fact that, despite a healthly bit of rivalry, we get along with the Spanish very well. But you know, WW2 ended more than 60 years ago which means the vast majority of the German population living nowadays had nothing to do with it. The way I see it, it's pointless to hold a grudge against people who were involved in it as much as you were. Knowing history is the best way not to repeat it but we can't let the past affect the present/future negatively.

You're right and it is changing, especially since this WC there has been alot of positive attention in our country for the Germans to change it. With football it will never change but that's just healthy rivalry.

But a large part of our history lessons at school are about ww2 (and ww1) and you automatically grow up learning Germans are bad people. They don't mean to teach us that but when you have 2 world wars started by the same country its hard to think they're nice when you are young.
Naughty teachers of yours. Churchill was right...repeat a lie long enough and it becomes the truth.

Germans started the 2nd war. Most people realize after they get over "I hate the krauts and they are eternally guilty until the end of time!!!" nonsense, that with a little bit of research they find out that a now defunct entity known as the Austro-Hungarian empire declared war on Serbia after one of their nationals assassinated a one Archduke Ferdinand. Alliances came into play and all kinds of neato political maneuvering and intrigue. When it was all said and done, who was the one country who had some money in their coffers to pay "reparations"?

And there you have it in a round about way....Wink

Later!!

SB