anime club
Jaded God Wrote:Initial D reruns, Trigun, Kenshin, blah blah you get the idea.

Whats wrong with Kenshin? Trigun was ok and I've not seen Initial D but I hear its good...but not really my style. What would you prefere that they showed?
I think Jaded God means that they show anime that is very well known and most likely to be watched by "starting-to-get-into" anime people. It's not so much fun watching anime you have at home and could watch anytime. A little variety and new things is good for an anime club. That is the same thing happening with my anime club at school... but it is in its third year this semester, so hopefully they'll be showing more current releases.
Yeah, when I lived in London the local club tended to play lots of fan subbed titles at meetings. It was great seeing Escaflowne as it was coming out in Japan (that's how long ago I lived there).

I've seen a few anime clubs that I haven't bothered with because they tend to play stuff that most people who like anime should have seen (ie Bebop, Ranma, Escaflowne (now), Macross (any of it) and so on). It's nice to give new fans a chance to see these but I'm usually willing to loan any of this out to people who haven't seen these before (except for the Ranma because I don't have any).

The other thing that keeps me from anime clubs are the alarming number of otaku who don't seem to know the basics of hygiene that show up to these clubs. It's been a while since I've checked out any of the local clubs but my nose seriously objected to the last meeting I went to.

I guess that's what it really boils down to. The people are what make or break a club. The subject matter provides that basic starting point for people to start a conversation but it's how the personalities mesh that make things work.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
My buddy had good experiences from his anime club. Every now and then they would hold a meeting to watch an anime title. But asides from that you could borrow anime and manga from the club.

My school tried to start an anime club but no-one knew what it was so not many people showed up so the school dropped it.

As for chicks who like anime I've met on gal I really like but she was dark and evil underneath so that made me actually dislike her.
tsunami Wrote:My buddy had good experiences from his anime club. Every now and then they would hold a meeting to watch an anime title. But asides from that you could borrow anime and manga from the club.

My school tried to start an anime club but no-one knew what it was so not many people showed up so the school dropped it.

As for chicks who like anime I've met on gal I really like but she was dark and evil underneath so that made me actually dislike her.
Just goes to show... That just because you share a common intrest doesn't mean it is going to work out.
[Image: slay6.jpg]
I am known as the Red leader of the Ichi Hentai!
Nina182B Wrote:I think Jaded God means that they show anime that is very well known and most likely to be watched by "starting-to-get-into" anime people. It's not so much fun watching anime you have at home and could watch anytime. A little variety and new things is good for an anime club. That is the same thing happening with my anime club at school... but it is in its third year this semester, so hopefully they'll be showing more current releases.

Thanks Nina, That is precisely what I meant.

I mean it is ok to introduce popular animes that others should know about or have seen, but every year they would show the same damn things or in different eps/series order.
the anime club at my school is creepy and full of mutants.
kakomu Wrote:the anime club at my school is creepy and full of mutants.

So are most anime conventions.

I'm noticing a pattern here . . .
I've only met one girl outside the confines of the internet that actually knew what she was talking about when it came to anime. Really sad thing is she obviously had a crush on me. If only I could get my girlfriend to like more anime than just kenshin... lol. On the up side she understands my enjoyment of anime and pre-ordered a box set of zeta gundam from rightstuf.com for my birthday. =P
Jaded God Wrote:Thanks Nina, That is precisely what I meant.

Sorry, my mistake, I get what you mean now.
"The best way to a girls bed is trough her parents, have sex with them and your in for sure!" -- Zap Branigan
Nina182B Wrote:but it is in its third year this semester, so hopefully they'll be showing more current releases.

since current releases are always > older releases.
Vicious Wrote:So are most anime conventions.

I'm noticing a pattern here . . .

I think the radioactive glow comes from lack of sunshine and bathing.
http://www.aboutheroes.com Best comic book podcast!!! Come and join in!
evilomar Wrote:I think the radioactive glow comes from lack of sunshine and bathing.

You don't even know until you've been to a con. Especailly a big one like Otakon. They need to hand out free car air fresheners so all of them stinky people can hang them around their necks.
Vicious is right, my club had alot of strerotypical fans, but nothing comes close to a crowded theater at Otakon. Otakorp does what it can though, and addresses the issure in their FAQ. But as we all konw, people seldom read FAQs.

Q: I keep hearing that fanboys are smelly. What can I do about that?
A: Don't contribute to the problem. Anytime you have a lot of people in one place, and it's hot out, you're going to get the occasional whiff of B.O. Please shower (with soap!) at least once every day and change your clothes. No matter how cool your outfit is, the acrid smell of pleather and human sweat will ruin the effect by the second day, we guarantee it. Make sure your sleeping arrangements allow for proper hygiene.

They also printed this on page one of the 2000 progam book.
... there's this little thing called "soap", and these funny closets in your hotel room called "showers". Unless you want to be shunned by everyone within smelling distance, USE THEM!!!
:eek: I can't believe they actually have to print that!!! Actually, I can... I've been near some really smelly people before. One thing I can't stand is when someone has greasy hair. Ugh... makes me wanna puke! I have extremely long hair and I can't stand going even one day without a shower. I can't believe people could just NOT shower! *shudders*
~Lady Ice~
"I drove for miles and miles and wound up at your door. I've had you so many times, but somehow I want more." ~Maroon5
[Image: WitchHunterRobinBanner1.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  want to start an anime club - need help puzzleguy 0 915 04-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Last Post: puzzleguy
  Starting an anime club in college -spike- 12 4,466 07-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Last Post: -spike-