Newtype-usa Screwing Readers !
Robojack Wrote:I think you should read the manga before making that conclusion. I was quite shocked at how different an atmosphere the manga created compared to the anime. I used to like the anime, but after reading the manga, I feel the anime barely did justice to the series. Read the manga, as I think you'll find it to be nothing like Tenchi Muyo, and much more thorough and satisfying than the anime.

While you may be right under different circumstances (I don't know since I don't read manga), LE was listing the DVD titles he owns that he thinks are 'unique'. So in this case, Steve is comparing to DVD's to DVD's.
I must agree that the manga for LH was way better then the show.

Goodness I wish this thread was named something else.... just read the title of it: "Newtype-usa Screwing Readers!"....... makes it sound like they are going to have a video feed or something. :p
Quote:Their manga that they license SUCKS save for on occaisional few...

Being relatively new in the manga game, ADV is still trying to find what works and what doesn't.

A classic example includes the "Azumanga Daioh" manga.

In the first volume, they used the same font for everything; gave unnecessary explanations for sound effects each time, and not just in the first instance (How many times do we have to be reminded that, during a storm, "Boom" means "thunderclap"?); some instances of added dialogue (when compared to the Japanese original); and the index (in the Japanese version) replaced with an unnecessary review of the chibi versions of the characters used between chapters.

In the second volume, they started using different fonts for dialogue and sound effects and ditched the sound effects explanations, but still kept the chibi review (from volumes one and two), in lieu of an index. (There was no index in the entire run of the English version.)

In the third and fourth volumes, cultural notes were added in the back, which were sorely needed in the first two books.

And throughout the series, the printing is a little darker (more so in the first two books), as compared to the Japanese version.

Finally, one thing I don't understand is the ADV English version is in a form of a standard paperback, and retails for US$9.99; while the original Japanese version from Dengeki is of better quality (including slick outer paper covers), yet retails in Japan for only ¥680 (roughly US$6.80).
Robojack Wrote:I think you should read the manga before making that conclusion. I was quite shocked at how different an atmosphere the manga created compared to the anime. I used to like the anime, but after reading the manga, I feel the anime barely did justice to the series. Read the manga, as I think you'll find it to be nothing like Tenchi Muyo, and much more thorough and satisfying than the anime.

I agree with you, the manga is very good and rather different from the anime. It has very few similarities with Tenchi Muyo.
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
rugrats1 Wrote:Finally, one thing I don't understand is the ADV English version is in a form of a standard paperback, and retails for US$9.99; while the original Japanese version from Dengeki is of better quality (including slick outer paper covers), yet retails in Japan for only ¥680 (roughly US$6.80).

This one is easy to explain. It's a simple matter of suppply and demand. The more copies of something you print, the lower the cost per book. I don't have actual sales figures but I'm willing to bet that almost every manga title sells better in Japan than it does in the US. Distribution is probably also less expensive given the population density over there.

So I'm guessing that two major cost factors (printing cost and distribution cost) are both considerably lower in Japan. Another factor may be the licensing costs in North America in addition to the staff needed to translate and handle all the pre-press factors.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
rugrats1 Wrote:Being relatively new in the manga game, ADV is still trying to find what works and what doesn't.

A classic example includes the "Azumanga Daioh" manga.

In the first volume, they used the same font for everything; gave unnecessary explanations for sound effects each time, and not just in the first instance (How many times do we have to be reminded that, during a storm, "Boom" means "thunderclap"?); some instances of added dialogue (when compared to the Japanese original); and the index (in the Japanese version) replaced with an unnecessary review of the chibi versions of the characters used between chapters.

In the second volume, they started using different fonts for dialogue and sound effects and ditched the sound effects explanations, but still kept the chibi review (from volumes one and two), in lieu of an index. (There was no index in the entire run of the English version.)

In the third and fourth volumes, cultural notes were added in the back, which were sorely needed in the first two books.

And throughout the series, the printing is a little darker (more so in the first two books), as compared to the Japanese version.

Finally, one thing I don't understand is the ADV English version is in a form of a standard paperback, and retails for US$9.99; while the original Japanese version from Dengeki is of better quality (including slick outer paper covers), yet retails in Japan for only ¥680 (roughly US$6.80).

They just started releasing manga so it's expected they go through some growing pains. More competiton will be good for manga. Zagatto is right that because of supply and demand you can't really compare prices between the english versions and the original japanese ones. As manga gets more and more popular I'm sure we'll see prices drop, maybe not as cheap as in Japan but maybe too around french standards (7-8$US a volume). 10$ is alot better than the 15-20$ Viz used to charge just a couple of years back.

I don't care much for dust covers, they get damaged so easily and they always get loose and slip off when I'm reading the manga.
just was at the CJV forum and i saw this :

"Ok, without telling you guys my long term plans here... but it'll be good for you, I promise..., give me 10 domestic R1 titles you think would sell well or that you'd buy if we could get fairly decent prices on. I know, I know, we've been here before, but really, I haven't left the subject since last we spoke about it!! I think about this almost every day! I guess I'm just a cheap mo-fo and have a difficult time, just like you all, spending $30 for 3-4 episodes of anime! So here we are, still trying to get the best prices we can for the domestics for you.

Help me out, just off the top of your heads here, gimme 10 titles. They can be movies or series or whatever. I gotta start somewhere, and with how much more expensive they are, I wanna make sure we can make this work right from the gate

Thanks a bunch
~Bella"

I find this funny, and no replies from vicious???? well i guess he didnt state just one company ! no mention of ADV for vicious to defend.

-LE
[Image: delphinesig.jpg]

"Lightning strikes only once in the same place, so ill have to get you the first time." -LE

MY HK LIST

MY TRADE LIST
Quote:no mention of ADV for vicious to defend.

On CJV's forum, you can't mention ADV, or any R1 company, as their names are filtered out and changed to "anonymous company", due to the fact that Hks are their primary business.
Last Exile Wrote:just was at the CJV forum and i saw this :

"Ok, without telling you guys my long term plans here... but it'll be good for you, I promise..., give me 10 domestic R1 titles you think would sell well or that you'd buy if we could get fairly decent prices on. I know, I know, we've been here before, but really, I haven't left the subject since last we spoke about it!! I think about this almost every day! I guess I'm just a cheap mo-fo and have a difficult time, just like you all, spending $30 for 3-4 episodes of anime! So here we are, still trying to get the best prices we can for the domestics for you.

Help me out, just off the top of your heads here, gimme 10 titles. They can be movies or series or whatever. I gotta start somewhere, and with how much more expensive they are, I wanna make sure we can make this work right from the gate

Thanks a bunch
~Bella"

I find this funny, and no replies from vicious???? well i guess he didnt state just one company ! no mention of ADV for vicious to defend.

-LE

What the hell does that have to do with anything? At least Bella got the MSRP of most R1s correct unlike you, thanks for pointing that out in the quote for us, it really shows what an idiot you are.
Last Exile Wrote:I find this funny, and no replies from vicious???? well i guess he didnt state just one company ! no mention of ADV for vicious to defend.

The difference is that Bella didn't single any one company out, unlike what you do every single time you make a post.

Also, I knew Bella was wrong if she's trying to imply that we're paying $30 per disc and she's gonna come to the rescue by making R1's cheaper for us and perhaps selling them for like $24 a disc. I pay $16-$18 per disc and I know there is no way that she is going to beat those prices. But I didn't want to say that in her forum and cost her customers since she's always pretty nice.
ok once again !
i was saying that to make a poing R1's are expensive ! and if i had a time machine to go back and get an MSRP from a few years ago i would, to show you it was that much for anime that is why i turned to import anime/HK. so get over it , you guys keep on getting caught up on this liek it is bad , it is a true statement. there is no way to get prices from a few years ago, or i have not found a way. i know this is true cause that is what i was paying till now when they started to drop prices to competee with HK.

-LE

"Lightning strikes only once in the same place, so ill have to get you the first time." -LE

MY HK LIST

MY TRADE LIST
Last Exile Wrote:so get over it , you guys keep on getting caught up on this liek it is bad , it is a true statement.

i know this is true cause that is what i was paying till now when they started to drop prices to competee with HK.

Ummm . . . you're the one whose quoting from other forums. So whose the one who needs to get over it again?

Really? Why don't you tell us what R1's you bought at these ridiculous prizes? Actually, better yet, why don't you just take a pic of these R1 DVD's that you spent so much on and post those on here.
Last Exile Wrote:ok once again !
i was saying that to make a poing R1's are expensive ! and if i had a time machine to go back and get an MSRP from a few years ago i would, to show you it was that much for anime that is why i turned to import anime/HK. so get over it , you guys keep on getting caught up on this liek it is bad , it is a true statement. there is no way to get prices from a few years ago, or i have not found a way. i know this is true cause that is what i was paying till now when they started to drop prices to competee with HK.

-LE

I would love to find out how old you are and when you started getting into anime. When I was buying DVDs when they first came out, I got Princess Mononoke at Best Buy for $25. A little higher than usual, but still not that bad, because DVDs were higher prices back then. I'm a bigger wealth of knowledge than you are by far, as I can give an MSRP for just about any series on VHS or DVD. Don't even go there.

You really don't seem to be a fan from the VHS days. If so, you would realize how far anime has come in America. You seemed like a snotty, brat who started anime with the Cartoon Network and downloading from Bit Torrent. You expect everything tp be handed to you like you deserve it. Sorry, it just doesn't work like that. Wink
Steve_the_Talking_Pie: Hampsters Bumpin' and Grindin' Since '99.

Region 1: DVD Collection
gee steve you are a fucking dick.
i am 19, and ever since i can remember i have been into anime and regular animation. and anime was more expensive a while back ago on dvd, right when it was getting popular. just ask my friend they will be joining soon. they are 20-30 years of age. we all know that anime was expensive back a few years ago where we were buying it ! so you dont go there !

And as for precious i cant take pics of dvds with prices cause for one thing no taggs on the ones i bought and also the ones that were high in price i didnt buy cause it was to much for not alot of episodes. and i posted that cause you wouldnt leave me alone about adv and prices ! so fucking drop it !

im sick of you and steve you guys are two nerds out to pick on people and im not falling for it i dont just sit back, i fight ! so if you want to bring it on more go right ahead !

your choice.
my advice is to fucking drop it !

-LE

MY HK LIST

MY TRADE LIST
Last Exile Wrote:just ask my friend they will be joining soon. they are 20-30 years of age. we all know that anime was expensive back a few years ago where we were buying it ! so you dont go there !

And as for precious i cant take pics of dvds with prices cause for one thing no taggs on the ones i bought and also the ones that were high in price i didnt buy cause it was to much for not alot of episodes.

im sick of you and steve you guys are two nerds out to pick on people and im not falling for it i dont just sit back, i fight ! so if you want to bring it on more go right ahead !

your choice.
my advice is to fucking drop it !

Great. Just what we needed. More mentally challenged people joining the forum.

Who said taking pics with prices? And since when are there ever 'tags' on DVD's? You get dumber by the minute. Is that even possible? Because that means you should be in a vegetative state at this point.

Steve, I'm shaking in my boots here. I think we just got threatened by a kid that makes Pee Wee Herman seem like a genius.

So follow your advice then dumbass!!!!