Non-mech anime
Really? Cool. Thank you for answering my question ^___^.
Hot Damn, that was cool!

You can also always buy volumes 1-12 of Dragonball Z. Lotta people bash it but I love that series! Dirty Pair Flash is pretty good too. Neo Ranga is quite good also. (It's not a mech series I tell you! It's an, um, god series!) I may have missed them skimming but Those who hunt elves, bubble gum crises (kind of mecha) and A.D. Police are good also.
Hmmm . . . can't say I agree with alot of those recommendations. Alot of those seem more like personal favorites that it might be hard for some epople to get into. Here's a good list that almost anyone will like. This is more general and more for beginners, because you should really watch alot of this stuff before you get into some of those other series.

Cowboy Bebop
Rurouni Kenshin
Samurai X OVA's
Berserk
GTO
Last Exile
Ranma
InuYasha
GoldenBoy
Maison Ikkoku
Ninja Scroll
Lupin Movies
ROD
Any Miyazaki movies
Well he already watches mech anime so he's not new to anime. No harm in suggesting them. A ton of people got into anime because of dbz so I think that would be a good suggestion. However, if you don't like reading subtitles try to find the 1-52 american dub. It's heavily edited with crappy voice acting but it's still pretty cool.

DBZ is definitely a good example of when that guy said japanese voice actors put their heart into it. Sure, I don't know what they are saying but when they scream they are SO much better at it. That and they don't go heh heh, heh heh, heh heh every time they see someone powerful like the americans do. Man did I get a lot of crap from my family when they heard that lol.
My bro was so picky abotu his anime. He wouldn't let em watch Cowboy Bebop in English until I watched it in Japanese. I think I liked it better in Japanese though. It is kind of cool to see how different voice actors do their stuff. Wink. My parents were Hell-bent on making me watch it in Japanese...all of it. Lol.
Hot Damn, that was cool!

Quote:Originally posted by Batik
My bro was so picky abotu his anime. He wouldn't let em watch Cowboy Bebop in English until I watched it in Japanese. I think I liked it better in Japanese though. It is kind of cool to see how different voice actors do their stuff. Wink. My parents were Hell-bent on making me watch it in Japanese...all of it. Lol.

I think part of that has to do with which language you watch it in first. If you had seen it in English, you probably would have liked the English version better.

Azumanga Daioh is one of the few shows I had seen in Japanese before it's release here. And despite the fact that the ADV VA's do an awesome job, I still remember Chiyo chan and her cute voice in Japanese. So no matter how good a job Jessica Boone does, for some reason she can't measure up.

I honestly believe that alot of times it comes down to which version of a show you watch first.
Quote:Originally posted by Vicious
I honestly believe that alot of times it comes down to which version of a show you watch first.

I agree with that statement 100%
I know that with Castle of Cagliostro and Totoro, I've seen them both dubbed so many times that I have a hard time watching them any other way. Even with CoC I have to watch the OLD Streamline version because that's the voice the characters are supposed to have in my mind. I wish that Manga had just re-used those old dubs rather than re-dubbing when they released the DVD.

I wonder how I'll feel about Disney's dubs for Totoro when it's released later this year (I make sure to buy an R1 of every Miyazaki release that I can get and I've actually bought 6 copies of Totoro so far... three on VHS and three on DVD... Disney's release will make number 7).
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
Thanx for all the suggestions... to tell you guys the truth i've seen about 50 or 60% of the ones you have suggested ( and loved them ).:eek: . Anyway, have desided to try out a few of the ones you guys suggested; but i was wondering about Slayers. Is it any good? The synop. leave a little to be desired. Just let me know if you know that is.

Thx a bunch!!! Big Grin
Slayers...hmmm. I read some of the manga and it seemed alright. I am just not into that kind of anime I guess but for anyone I wuold say it is pretty good.
Hot Damn, that was cool!

I actually just received Slayers in the mail today. Watched a few episodes and it looks like it's going to be a good series. Can't say for sure but from what i've seen and the reviews i've read looks to be a good series.
Vandread- might fit the bill ( its fun )

wait for Bakuretsu tenshi ( think I spelled it right )- what a super ride , and Gantz is fantastic also-- both just became licensed, and may possibly be out in the spring--
Quote:Originally posted by lambrt429
but i was wondering about Slayers. Is it any good? The synop. leave a little to be desired. Just let me know if you know that is.

I liked Slayers. It depends on what type of stuff you like. If you like stuff that's not too serious and has a good blend of action and comedy, then you'll like it. I love shows like that, so I can't get enough of Slayers and Lina Inverse.
I also would recommend Yami No Matsuei. It has an awesome story and kick ass animation! Another title I recommend is Comic Party. This title is only cool if you like drawing manga or making Doujinshi. Plus there is a lot of familiar stuff in comic party that you just might notice in anime in real life.
[Image: WinterSonata.jpg]

A dream is like snow, it falls then it fades away through time...

~Ryoku Slayer~
Hell yeah! I am all for Ryoku Slayer's idea. Yami no Matsuei. Oh and another one that I liked was Ninja scroll. It wasn't that long but hey, it is still a good one. And don't forget the Ninja Scroll movies Wink. Yeah and (I think someone said this) Rurouni Kenshin. It is long enough to make you cry but it is good.
Hot Damn, that was cool!

Quote:Originally posted by Batik
(I think someone said this) Rurouni Kenshin. It is long enough to make you cry but it is good.

Longer animes are usually the best. I love how long Kenshin is, lots of story and action. Can't keep pumping out the episodes if it isn't well received by the fanbase.