Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Worst Anime
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I really only have one anime that I thought was bad, and it just for the fact that the manga is so much better. And it's Samurai Deeper Kyo.
In the manga the story is completely different and the art is so much better. The anime just leaves you thinking what the hell just happened here?????And with the manga, you just can't get enough.
I do like the anime to some point, but after reading the manga it's a little hard to get into the anime again.
As for some of the anime that I have seen that I think is the best, well here is a short list:
Kenshin- Great plot and characters. Beautiful animation, super music, and a great love story Big Grin
InuYasha- Same as above, love the fact that the main characters are in a big love triangle with a dead girl. LOL!
Saiyuki- Great story, love the different characters, art style is awesome, music is the best out of all the animes I have. Lots of action and drama!
And
Trigun-Do I really need to tell you why I like this??
worst i have watched are

vampire wars and vampire hunter d

the best are berserk, maison ikkoku and ghibli
After having read this topic, I went into flashback mode and had several flashbacks of watching (what little) anime I've seen since I was a freshman in college (excluding a few shows I watched on TV in Korea when I was little). I will now proceed to give a grade to every anime I have ever watched...

Dragonball Z
Grade: B-
Manga was great...much more condensed than the TV version. Pretty good story, likeable characters, memorable villains, etc. Bad stuff: poor animation quality (several hundred episodes...understandable I suppose), bad voice acting (even Japanese voice acting was subpar in my opinion), long drawn out fight sequences. A classic by all means, but not great. One of my first, though.

Kenshin (TV)
Grade: B
Some of the story arcs were pretty good, but I was bored to death by most of them. The fight sequences were always interesting, but also long and drawn out like DBZ. Nonetheless, a classic. Major downfall: Length! I would've given this one a B+ or A- had it been condensed into maybe 1/3 of the episodes that it actually had.

Berserk
Grade: A-
Awesome (and horrifying) story, pretty good animation, memorable characters. Heard the manga is much better, but I haven't had the chance to get around to that yet. I felt slightly cheated by the ending, and some of it was just too disturbing, so the grade falls a bit (but not due to its own fault). If you're in the mood for something serious and brooding, this is it! (Also, very violent)

Slayers
Grade: C
Seemed very average and generic to me...probably would've liked it better as a kid. But then again, heard it's a classic.

Excel Saga
Manga was pretty good, anime was also good for the first few episodes, then it seemed to lose focus (and budget). The animation became sloppier, and the story became weirder towards the end. No solid conclusion, just kinda let the story hang (which the manga does not).
Too many cultural references to fully enjoy it.

Ninja Scroll
Grade: F
I don't even need to explain myself with this one. BLEH!

Cowboy Bebop
Grade: A+
No explanation necessary here either. Great style, great music, great animation, great characters, great ending, gogo space cowboy!

Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Grade: B+
Enjoyable, funny, sometimes serious. Reminded me of Nadesico...at first, I thought it was just a generic space battleship type anime. But this one proved me wrong...at the end it left a smile on my face (and a desire to watch the OVAs, which were okay but nothing spectacular). A generally pleasant experience.

Nadesico
Grade: A
One of the best space battleship animes I've ever watched...rated in Japan as #1 (I forgot which year). Movie was good also.

Vandread
Grade: Season 1 - B, Season 2 - A-
Another space battleship anime, albeit with a twist. The not so vague sexual innuendo was hilarious, and the story became noticably better towards the 2nd season. First season was okay as an intro, but seemed to exist solely for the 2nd season to shine.

Onegai Teacher
Pleasant story, a bit ecchi though. I've always liked hot teachers (wish I had had one myself), so this is probably biased. The background was very unconvincing though, and some of the anime was just to sugary for my tastes. Touching in the end, though. OVA was purely fan service.

Kodocha
Insanely funny, super cracked out anime! Lost steam during the later episodes though. Gotta love that mom and the squirrel...

Inuyasha
Long...but good. I suppose the length detracts from this one as well... since I felt the first season was better compared to the later ones. Maybe I just lack the stamina required to watch an anime that's several seasons long.

Lupin (Castle of Cagliostro)
At first I thought, ewww what is this? Then towards the end I was like...I LOVE IT! A great classic (just reminds me of the 80s).

Ah My Goddess
Grade: C+
I felt this was just a generic young boy fantasy anime. Characters were well defined, though.

3x3 Eyes
One of my first...but looking back, it was nothing special.

Video Girl Ai
Touching, funny, short but sweet. Unnecessary ecchi at times, as well as somethings being too sugary

Sakura Diaries
I thought it was a little hentai-ish, but overall touching story. Characters are likeable as well as fairly well defined. The background was a little hard to believe, though. Guess stripping for a cousin just to cheer them up is fairly common in Japan... -_-;;;

Pokemon
Grade: D
I choose......Bleh!

Bubblegum Crisis
One of my first...not too bad. My standards just got higher over the years...

Mazinger Z
My mom tells me I practically wet my pants whenever this was on TV when I was a toddler. Special grade just for that!

Love Hina
Sweet, cute, and funny. The OVAs were horrible, though. Nothing but fan service... Sad

Goldenboy
Funny, but hentai-ish. This was one anime that I actually liked the English dub hehe.

Escaflowne
Great story, good animation, nice music, just plain cool (and touching). Didn't like the ending or the movie that much. I also got annoyed with all the talk of sempai -_-^

Hellsing
This one was so great in the beginning, then became very disappointing towards the end. The lead character is just too cool, though. As is the priest.

Trigun
Funny towards the beginning, serious towards the end. Explores some deep human emotions as well as being gun-action and not too serious with itself. Loved the western theme...

FLCL
Great animation, very cool, but a little too weird for me. I know tons of people would give this an A though.

Jin Roh
Grade: A+
Touching, deep, great ending. This one literally sucked me in and spit me out at the end. I was left feeling void of all emotions cause the DVD had taken all of it!

Akira
Good animation, weird but moving story. Ending was hard to understand, though. Maybe I shouldn't even try...

Evangelion
I really enjoyed this one, until the end. The ending episodes I enjoyed more the second time around, but I had a hard time relating to all the angst that I felt in this series. The movie was okay but troubling at times. This is one anime that people love to hate, and also love to love.

Karekano
I got made fun of as a sissy for this one, but I loved it! Manga is even BETTER!

Macross, Do You Remember Love
Grade: C
Ahahahahaha! Hahahahahaha!

Vampire Hunter D (old/new)
Cool lead character, great animation, lovely fight scenes. Not much substance, though.

Hand Maid May
Bleh....just more fan service. Although it was kinda cute, and funny, and pleasant at times.

Ghost in the Shell
O.V.E.R.R.A.T.E.D.

Mononoke Hime
Beautiful...

I might've left a few things out...man I'm tired. Gotta stop here -_-
Quote:Originally posted by TheMarine
Ninja Scroll
Grade: F
I don't even need to explain myself with this one. BLEH!

Ummm.... You are the first person I've ever heard that would put Ninja Scroll on a worst anime list. From myself and amongst my peers that I watch anime with, Ninja Scroll is considered one of the best movies ever made. Even the dub job is well done if you prefer dubs to subs.

The animation is fluid with great character designs. Heck, these are some of the most creative characters I've seen in an anime in a long time.
The story has many subtlties that you can pick up on after repeated viewings. This is particularly impressive given how graphic and explosive the movie is most of the time.

If you don't mind, I would like an explanation of what there is to NOT like about this movie other than the fact that it is very graphically violent. Then again, I am aware there is a TV series out there that I haven't seen any episodes of yet. If your Grade: F is in response to that, I would appreciate some details so I know why I should avoid it.
Yeah Ninja Scrolls Dub is one of the VERY few dubs I can watch and not be infuriated by. I particularly like it when Jubei, in the dub, is on the rooftop and screams "GENMA!!!" And yes the anime to BERSERK is absolutely PATHETIC compared to the manga. MY GOD IS THE MANGA SUPER MEGA HYPER AWESOME!!!! I have read it all now, up to the latest anyways (no not the american release I'm talkin all of the japanese release. Past Book 26), and nothing compares to it's awesomeness!!
I thought all the parts that the anime covered in Berserk was just as good as the manga, and after the eclipse, the manga just loses direction and is rather boring....
Hmmm... seems people are grading anime... well I'll grade on a curve

From best to last

Nadesico - A
Overall fun series to watch with a lot of situational irony like anime within anime :p~~~

Steel Angel Karumi - A-
Really lovable characters, wonderful colors, an annoyingly catchy theme song that will make you want to commit seppukku after listening to it 100+ times...

Rayearth (1+2) - A- (for both)
Nicely done anime by CLAMP, prolly one of their first for all I know that got on anime... great storyline... rarely any episodes wasted that were not plot involving though not a terribly comedic anime

BGC2040 - A-
Love the artwork, love the opening song, enjoyed the characters and the storyline... it's a well done version from the original...

Princess Nine - A- (biased)
Biased as I'm a baseball fan and baseball and anime had to get an A though despite my bias I thought the rather normal storyline to be quite enjoyable, though at times overdramatic... but then again these are youngsters and heavens knows how bad my younger sisters are...

Evangelion - A-
I often thought I'd knock this down to a B+ but I just can't... The story is just too good even if the movies were rather... off... I think the religious aspects and the fact that I absolutely adore Asuka force me to give this an A- even if Shinji really needs to get more of a spine...

Slayers (TV, Next, Try) - B overall (B-, B+, B)
This is a terribly funny series to watch even if the graphics aren't the best in the world... I think Next was the best overall due to character development which seemed to sorely lack in the last due to time spent on developing new characters like Filia and Valgaav...

The OAV's and Movies are in a class of their own, done by a separate dubbing company but IMO not any better than the TV series as I hold no particular love for Naga the Serpent...

Wanderers (El Hazard TV) - B
Again graphics not too advanced but it is an older anime... Good characters and a fun story to follow though it does seem to lag in places... at least one filler episode concerning the fire and wind priestess come to mind that hardly did anything except advance the understanding of said characters which could have been better done with actual realtime events instead of flashbacks...

Lost Universe - B
If you've watched Slayers Try, you'll prolly pale at the names used in this anime... definitely a lot more creativity could have been used in the developing of this anime but overall the story really gets good halfway through the anime and prior to that it's all slayers type silliness...

Blue Seed - B
Graphics somewhat lacking but the Omake theatres easily make up for that :p~~~ The script for this anime could have been a little less repetitive but if I wanted to get picky, I'd say the same about Rayearth... same things said over and over to keep everyone up to date... but other than that a really good story with decent characterization and a waffy ending...

Oh My Goddess - B-
One of my firsts and I absolutely love the characters but the short series didn't last long enough to really hold any real impression upon me... waffy all the way... The movie was a little better as far as plot goes but altogether not terribly impressive

Key - B-
Lovely music and I absolutely adored this series all the way up to the horrendous two part ending on the third disc... bleh... sitting on a bench and explaining the past is the most annoying way to divulge the many secrets of Key...

Gunsmith Cats - C+
One of my firsts and based in Chicago too!!! Very well done artwork close to the original but sadly I can't bring myself to rank this any higher as it lacks the length to properly develop the characters and the storyline was resolved waaaay too quickly...

Ranma (All seven series and OAV's) - C
Okies, I'm being a little unfair since the OAV's and the first three sets were not all that bad but the last four tapered off into meaningless filler episodes dedicated to making laughs and keeping the status quo... character development is fine but character growth lacks severely in just about every single character in this series... sadly even if they did go back and remake the rest of the manga as anime there would be no change in that as that was the way the creator left it... as an older anime the graphics are pastel like (think Sailor Moon) and the music is mediocre...

Record of Lodoss OAV - C
Far too many characters and honestly, disappointing character growth IMO for such a short series... The graphics are okay but the music really didn't catch with me and there was a lot more that I wanted to see done with the series...

I don't have the Chronicles but I'm of the understanding that it's no better...

ADPolice - C-
With such a promising trailer I had expected a lot more from this series... the graphics were so so but the characters just needed a lot of kicking... I wanted to strangle half of them and the couple that I did like rarely played an important role...

Lain - C-
And no I won't reconsider grading this... Lain has excellent shade work and obviously was trying to put across some message about existance and whatnot but it lacked the entertain quality that I'd expect from anime... In many parts I felt like I was reading something instead of watching it and at first I thought it was just a horribly done dub but turning on the subs proved no better... The whole thing is detached and prolly would be great if I was on some pain meds or something... Great theme song though and character designs though...

Bubblegum 2032 and Crash - D
Yea, how can I grade the original so low and the revamped version so high... well, I didn't like the over the top Priss in the original and I watched this first BTW... Of course I preferred Nene with the red hair but oh well... Honestly, Nene was the only character I liked from this series which seemed to concentrate most of it's attention on a hotheaded Priss... character designs were prolly good for the time it came out... storyline was in shambles and Crash attempted to put a cap on it... still the music is great if ya want to hear a lot of 80's type rock...

Project A-ko (and VS) - D
My very first Anime!!! (okay the first I watched was Sailor Moon but I'd never consider owning that) While A-ko is quite funny at times the overall story isn't terribly impressive and the graphics aren't that great either... VS brings back some of the characters and is more like a movie than anything else... characters are not really developed at all beyond the first introduction...

Dominion Tank Police (Orig) - D-
Again another series waaaay too short to properly develop the characters... sadly, I felt Buako (sp) was more developed than any of the other characters in this short series... the graphics are old and the music is not too impressive...

I have the New Dominion on VHS but I wouldn't rank it much higher... the graphics get a bit better and there are hair colour changes and what appears to be an actual plot involved... Tossing this in I'd prolly give Dominion an overall C rating but no better since the New Dominion music was worse than than the original...

Legend of the Lost Labyrinth - F
And my only fail since I was sorely disappointed to find out after I bought this series that it was discontinued... it had an Oh My Goddess feel to it and possibly could have turned out better but even as is the story seems to move alarmingly fast with no villain development at all and hardly any development of the main chars... I don't even feel sorry for her when things happen and can't even sympathize with other characters that display feelings towards the main char... oh well... at least it was cheap...

And I think that's a comprehensive listing of all the anime I own ~.^
Ouch
Record of Lodoss OAV - C???

OAV was great, music from that show made me buy 4 volumes of OST From it ;p the TV was so-so but OAV was the greatest in my opinion ;p dunno why u dont like it...

I mean i prefer shorter series as oppose to long long long long long series with long long long long character development where by the time when it matters u get so bored (with monster of the week) that U loose interest and move on to next series

far too many people i see are watching multiple series at once.. thats just a sign that the series cant keep your attention...
jezz- alot of you guys take this S--T pretty seriously dont you-- writting for hours-I think you either need a life or a hobby or something. believe me i have alot of crummy anime . just because it comes out of Japan, doesnt make it good. Some of it isnt good enough to wrap fish in it. ( you know which ones I mean ) i even own a few of them Ex. Judge
If I wanted a life... I wouldn't have internet...

And as for Lodoss being nailed with a C... I think I just had way too high expectations of it from the start and was sorely disappointed in the handling of the villains and many of the good guys too...
Quote:Originally posted by Trish_Pinem
Princess Nine - A- (biased)
Biased as I'm a baseball fan and baseball and anime had to get an A though despite my bias I thought the rather normal storyline to be quite enjoyable, though at times overdramatic... but then again these are youngsters and heavens knows how bad my younger sisters are...

Finally!!!! someone else who has seen Princess Nine and can attest to how good it is. I rented the 1st disc not expecting much. but couldn't get my hands on the next disc fast enough. I really wish they could make another season, but know that that will never happen.

I don't have the time or the patience to review all my anime. If anyone has any questions, they can check out my collection by clicking on the links in my sig.
Quote:Originally posted by Zagatto
Ummm.... You are the first person I've ever heard that would put Ninja Scroll on a worst anime list. From myself and amongst my peers that I watch anime with, Ninja Scroll is considered one of the best movies ever made. Even the dub job is well done if you prefer dubs to subs.

The animation is fluid with great character designs. Heck, these are some of the most creative characters I've seen in an anime in a long time.
The story has many subtlties that you can pick up on after repeated viewings. This is particularly impressive given how graphic and explosive the movie is most of the time.

If you don't mind, I would like an explanation of what there is to NOT like about this movie other than the fact that it is very graphically violent. Then again, I am aware there is a TV series out there that I haven't seen any episodes of yet. If your Grade: F is in response to that, I would appreciate some details so I know why I should avoid it.

I thought the animation quality was pretty good. I watched the dubbed version, and I think that's why I hated it so much (I just can't watch dubs since I've taken a few years of Japanese). The graphic/explosive nature of the movie was also a reason I disliked it (a little too over the top, I thought).

I was also bored by the story (which I don't remember anymore). I remember watching it with friends and laughing at it through most of it...my college buddies and I seem to agree that it was bad. And most people I've met who've seen it say it was bad (or mediocre at best).

But since you strongly disagree, I might have to watch it again. Maybe I'll give it a fairer grade this time Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by puzzleguy
jezz- alot of you guys take this S--T pretty seriously dont you-- writting for hours-I think you either need a life or a hobby or something. believe me i have alot of crummy anime . just because it comes out of Japan, doesnt make it good. Some of it isnt good enough to wrap fish in it. ( you know which ones I mean ) i even own a few of them Ex. Judge

Maybe typing on a forum is their hobby. At least it gives you resonable typing skills. LykE ThEEYis!!!
Here's a of the animes I watched on my scale:

A/A+: Nausicaa, Spirited, (in fact, almost all Studio Ghibli films), Castle of Cagliostro, FLCL, Evangelion, Kenshin, Akira, Ninja Scroll, Azumanga Daioh, Cowboy Bebop, Kodomo No Omocha (first season), Ranma (first season), GTO first 20 episodes.

B/B+: Lain, Crest of the Stars, Soultaker, Urotsukidoji (first 3 oavs), Ping Pong Club, Outlaw Star, Perfect Blue, Metropolis, Macross Plus, Oh my Goddess, Escaflowne, Project A-ko (c'mon, its a classic parody on anime!), Golden Boy, Lodoss oav, Dragon Ball (not Z), Vampire Hunter D, Patlabor movies, Dragon Half, Jin Roh, Iria,

C/C+: Mahoromatic, Gunsmith Cats, Earth Girl Arjuna, Sakura Diaries, Love Hina, Tenchi, Pokemon, the rest of Ranma, the rest of Kodomo no Omocha, Chobits, rest of GTO, GITS, SF2 Movie, Slayers, VHD Bloodlust

D/F: Kite, Bible Black (don't know why this was #1 on the most bought list here at one time), LILYCAT, Tekken, Battle Arena Toshinden, BioHunter, Fatal Fury, Green Legend Ran, LA Blue Girl, Ninja Resurrection, Super Radical GAG Family

That's all I can think of right now. :p

Popular series that I haven't seen yet: Inuyasha, Excel Saga, Trigun, Rahxephon, Slam Dunk, Full Metal Panic, Scryed, Boogiepop Phantom, any Gundam, Kare Kano, One Piece, DBZ
For those who think that Ninja Scroll is bad, what do you think of NINJA RESURRECTION? :p
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10