Career doesn't have to be for money..
Here is the definition for "Career"
Quote:1. an occupation or profession, esp. one requiring special training, followed as one's lifework: He sought a career as a lawyer.
2. a person's progress or general course of action through life or through a phase of life, as in some profession or undertaking: His career as a soldier ended with the armistice.
3. success in a profession, occupation, etc.

Note it says nothing for money. Some people choose career's to help others. Some choose them for money too.
Though I have never met anyone that posts here I have a reasonable amount of respect for everyone here but I just lost all respect for gubi. Serving ones country in the armed forces is honorable. Yes that means you can be placed in a combat situation but its far from mercenary work. Without the presence of armed forces the great nations of the world would not exist. What gives you the right to judge someone you've never met.
I'm not in the ARMY or Marines...I'm not INFANTRY! I don't carry a weapon!!!
I'm an Emergency Manager!!
The Military offers me oppertunities that I would find no where else.
If you see that as killing for money, so be it. You my believe what you will.
"MADE IN HEAVEN, FORGED IN HELL"
gubi-gubi Wrote:Well you said it was a career choice which generally means money doesn't it? So it seems you are willing to kill for money.

Go move to France ya hippie.
geo85 Wrote:Though I have never met anyone that posts here I have a reasonable amount of respect for everyone here but I just lost all respect for gubi. Serving ones country in the armed forces is honorable. Yes that means you can be placed in a combat situation but its far from mercenary work. Without the presence of armed forces the great nations of the world would not exist. What gives you the right to judge someone you've never met.

Well that's a matter of opinion. That's not what I said anyway I was enquiring about viewing the army as a career. Which in most uses of the term involves getting paid. Most people don't pursue a career for free do they? Like you said "Without the presence of armed forces the great nations of the world would not exist" so I was hoping to get a view other than 'it was a career choice' which seems to be the answer I hear from most people I speak to who have joined, people in my family included who viewed it as a way to get paid before pursuing something else which in my opinion is not that honourable and says a lot about options for young people.
Yea but there are lots of examples of people choosing career's that are NOT based on lots of money.

Police, Fire man, Church people (Nun's, Pastors, Monks etc. too many to list) Then you have alot of chariy organizations that do things for very little money. There are lots of instances where a person's career is not about money but what they wish to do in there life.
Joining the armed forces is more of a way of life than a monetary compensation. You join like stated for fireman etc because you want to accomplish something yes you get paid but look at what your doing for your country, if you didnt that would be a crime. I just asked my father who served during the vietnam war in the air force and again its a choice as a way of life. Bad save gubi it was a ignorant remark not some scientific probing query. You might think about the cash first but there are plenty out there who view work and accomplishments above that.
And you saying career = getting paid is your opinion.
I'm joining the air national guard shortly to help become a police officer. Gubi does have one valid point. It's hard to do anything as a younger person. Joining the military makes it much easier in many cases.
geo85 Wrote:Bad save gubi it was a ignorant remark not some scientific probing query.

I have nothing to try and save so don't try and flatter yourself. Joining the army for money is killing for cash. There's no other way to look at it. That's what I thought she meant so that is what I said, as I would say to anyone even including my own cousin who fought in Iraq. He certainly didn't do it for some valiant duty to his country.
Right...because that's all any military does...kill people.

I do not take my commitment to the military lightly and yet you make it sound as if I do.
You persume I "Kill for Money", that my intentions for being in the military are "Not that honorable." I know no greater honor than to serve my country and the chance to work in a career field that is still growing, still developing. The chance to leave a mark and make a difference that may save lives.

I understand that your degretory comments were made in ignorance, and not nessicarily out of malice. If this conversation is to continue, I request that a mod move it to it's own thread.
Again gubi you asume they join because they want to get paid to kill people but only a small minority have that state of mind, I know a lot of vets through my father. Why dont you stop judging people you dont know or commenting on states of mind you have no understanding of.
geo85 Wrote:Again gubi you asume they join because they want to get paid to kill people but only a small minority have that state of mind, I know a lot of vets through my father. Why dont you stop judging people you dont know or commenting on states of mind you have no understanding of.

Well that's pretty much what you do on a forum isn't it? To say joining the army for a career move felt to me that it was belittling it so I commented. If nobody replies to things then a forum isn't a forum. Your comments are jumping on a bandwagon and you have judged so get off your high horse.
Um, calling the military a career move is belittling it but calling it killing for money... what? Brings honor to it something? Unless you're in infantry, flying an aircraft or in an offensive vehicle chances are you aren't "killing" at all.
I have spent time with vets and officers and am son to a vet I know to a certain degree the feelings and opinions of some vets and active troops and am only stating that they and myself disagree with your statements I am on no bandwagon because I speak only beacause I have this knowledge and know so many vets. Real soilders pray they wont have to go to war but answer that call went or if it comes. Just because some one in your family is ignorant enough to pursue military life simply for the chance to kill does not condem all those who serve not sod off!
Honestly, I don't know any one in the USAF or US Army that joined solely for patriotic reasons. For some of us, this military way of life is what we were called to do. It is what we are well suited for. I only have to do the "war time" piece of my job when things have gone horribly wrong, and the enemy is using something more than bullets and explosives to kill. In truth, my job is to save lives and minimize damage to assets.

While the Army may be 95% "kill people and break there shit", the Air Force is about 90% Support for Aircraft and humanitarian missions. I was very careful in my choice of services...don't get my wrong, I love the Army, they guard my ass when I'm over there.