Import Anime Forums

Full Version: 300
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm shocked! No 300 threads. It's an awesome movie you have to see it in IMAX. It makes all the difference. Just awesome! Don't listen to any critic they all blow, you will love this movie. The cg just like sin city is amazing and never draws you out of the movie like star wars, totally beautiful totally immersive. Great cast especially wenham, you know faramir from lotr. Great music, great editing oh yeah great editing. Great pace, the 2hr is perfect not too long not too short, cant wait for the dvd.

You will leave the theater yealling ahhoooh and wanting to hit someone, and I mean that in a good way.
Of course you should listen to critics. I usually read my local newspaper so I know what to go see. I try to go see whatever movie the critics hate the most.
This movie was awesome in the special effects department, but it really... REALLY sucked in the story department. Wow, I couldn't even find another pro-Bush Administration propoganda than this movie. It's like the 300 Chipendales verses the freakin' Persians for like 90% of the movie.... seriously.

Correlations to Bush Administration.

1. Spartans go to war without Senate approval.
2. Along with #1, "I'm not going to war, I'm just taking a stroll, and these are my 300 bodyguards." Leader's deception into war.
3. "Freedom is not free."
4. Recurring theme to push the effort to send more troops.
5. Spartans show no fear, while allies (Arcadians) are a bunch of scared pansies.
6. Senate has a few corrupt members (well, that's probably true for almost all administrations).

Well, there are more, but these were the easiest to write down. Anyways, I felt the underlying message of the movie at the end were... "Send more troops, and we will win!"
What kind of crack are you smoking? Stop finding crappy conspiracies in everything.
Psygnius stop while youre behind. The movie is based off the miller comic. While the story is generic this type of movie only needs a few strong messages to work off. I hate morons like you who spout political correlation where it doesnt exist politicians blow and so do people like you. I hate bush as much as the next guy but Im not dumb enough to ignore the fact that congress has raped and destoryed the government far more than bush and his wife cheney.
No crap stop trying to find shit in everything Psygnius.

If you want to know more about the real battle look it up. Alot of those events portrayed was real. The comic and movie focused more on the 300 Spartans and didn't show alot more. By historians they believe that 300 Spartans did go to the battle but in total there was about 7000 people at the fight on the greek side. The movies show's this but doesn't show how many of the greek's there was.

And the king really did go against the console for a few reason's. Mainly the council didn't want them to go because it was actually the time for the Olympic Games which was for them suppose to be a time of peace not war. Don't remember what the Latin term was for it.

Also the scene with the oracle was true (as in they believed in oracle's and would go and ask for advice and blessing) and they believed in that. In the real history the oracle said that only they would be saved if a king of Hercules descendant which Leonidas was.

So why don't you actually get off your lazy ass and learn something then think everything is a conspiracy. and Personally i am appalled and really feel sorry that my wife and I serve this country so that you can be such a fucking asshole and close minded like you are.

And while you are at it why don't you go have fun with a Cigar and your significant other and then smoke it afterwards along with go Lie under Oath. I mean that is such a great role model for young kids these days. and i am sure you are going to be one HILLIARY 08 people too! I will surely get out of the Military is Hilliary becomes our Commander in Chief.
Psygnius Wrote:This movie was awesome in the special effects department, but it really... REALLY sucked in the story department. Wow, I couldn't even find another pro-Bush Administration propoganda than this movie. It's like the 300 Chipendales verses the freakin' Persians for like 90% of the movie.... seriously.

Correlations to Bush Administration.

1. Spartans go to war without Senate approval.
2. Along with #1, "I'm not going to war, I'm just taking a stroll, and these are my 300 bodyguards." Leader's deception into war.
3. "Freedom is not free."
4. Recurring theme to push the effort to send more troops.
5. Spartans show no fear, while allies (Arcadians) are a bunch of scared pansies.
6. Senate has a few corrupt members (well, that's probably true for almost all administrations).

Well, there are more, but these were the easiest to write down. Anyways, I felt the underlying message of the movie at the end were... "Send more troops, and we will win!"

That sounds like pinko commie talk to me lol

Seriously though, if your thinking that hard about this movie then you have missed the point. Its a good old fashioned testosterone soaked joygasam of violence and agression.

This movie makes you want to yell SPARTA, and then punch the guy next to you. This and fight club are the only movies that I have ever seen that made me want to commit an act of violence, and I own the Friday the 13th box set.

The political overtones are there, but you have to remember this was not written today, its based on a graphic novel thats been around a while. And in all seriousness you could see the U.S as the Persians if you wanted to, just depends on how you want to view it.

Besides its not very accurate anyway,
The spartans had about a 1000 alies by the time the final battle was faught, and Spartans did engage in homosexual acts, they werent the homophobes that miller paints them as.

In the end its just a bad ass movie. The concept of 300 guys taking on 10 times as many guys is just cool. Its Rio Bravo and the Alamo all rolled into one.

TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL (Also known as Arby's)
Hidalgo Wrote:This movie makes you want to yell SPARTA, and then punch the guy next to you. This and fight club are the only movies that I have ever seen that made me want to commit an act of violence, and I own the Friday the 13th box set.

TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL (Also known as Arby's)

Actually they think more around 7000. But for the final battle where all the Sparain's died (and they have archilogical evidence of the shower of arrows that killed them on the hill that they all died on) Alot retreated and left.

But the other thing Man Fight Club made me want to go to sleep. I never got that rush outta that movie i just thought it was boring and stupid the whole way through. on the other hand 300 kept me glued to it watching it so wanted that stupid king to die but he never did.
Yeah i watched a show on it. They did have more in the beginning, around 7k sounds right. Miller fudged that of course cause a book called 7300 or 1300 doesnt sound nearly as cool.

The last day of fighting was the 300 spartans and 1000 alliaes that stayd

All the others were moved out, the Spartans didnt force them to say, they just decided to.

Still, they were outnumbered by a insane amount, and the histories do show that the Greeks that did leave couldnt fathom how these guys had the cojones to stay when they knew they were going to die.

You cant help but get fired up by guys like that.

Now fight club i loved it, but hey thats just my opinon.
Hidalgo Wrote:Yeah i watched a show on it. They did have more in the beginning, around 7k sounds right. Miller fudged that of course cause a book called 7300 or 1300 doesnt sound nearly as cool.

The last day of fighting was the 300 spartans and 1000 alliaes that stayd

All the others were moved out, the Spartans didnt force them to say, they just decided to.

Still, they were outnumbered by a insane amount, and the histories do show that the Greeks that did leave couldnt fathom how these guys had the cojones to stay when they knew they were going to die.

You cant help but get fired up by guys like that.

Now fight club i loved it, but hey thats just my opinon.

Well they stayed because to them dieing in a battle was the most honered way to die. The Spartians was really all about fighting. So to them the only way out of that battle was to die.

In the true events 2 spartains actually survived it. The one shown in the movie that was sent back to get help. And another guy that was sent to Athens to try to talk to them also. The 2nd guy tried to get back before the fight was over and he didn't. He got there too late. After that not sure the time frame he actually hanged himself because he was discraced that he missed the battle and did not get a chance to die with them.
Yeah I saw a history channel doc on it, and according to historians leonidas died like many others in a hail of arrows and spears and some remaining spartans fought off 3 waves of persians to protect his fallen body but in the end they were killed and zerces took leonidas' head.

Just so some get it through their head Hillary might dress like a democrat but she is in fact a yes this is true card carrying communist, no look it up!!!
Schultz Wrote:HILLIARY 08 people too! I will surely get out of the Military is Hilliary becomes our Commander in Chief.

I'm actually getting in shape and thinking about joining the military again... but man I kind of want to wait to see what happens with the elections. I sure as hell don't wanna serve under any democrat running right now. Luckily the left didn't learn a damn thing last election. Their choice in people is hardly better than last election. Meanwhile republicans are running their most liberal people to appeal to both sides.
Yeah, I knew it was based off the Frank Miller comic that predates the Bush Administration. Conspiracy theory? WTF? Where did you get the idea that I think there's a conspiracy theory? I used the wrong wording I guess. "pro-Bush propoganda" isn't the right word, but there ARE a lot of correllations to the administrations although not intentional in the movie. And if you listen to CNN every day in the car like me, then you'd end up associating things to the news a lot of times.

But putting the Bush Administration stuff aside, if you actually paid attention to the story plot, the whole 10% of the actual film that contained plot, you will realize that the story is about politics, with major emphasis on the fighting. And putting the CG fighting aside and still leaving the Bush admin out of this, the movie still sucked.

Being a movie buff turned me into a critic, and as you all know, you all don't agree with the opinions of critics.

schultz Wrote:i am sure you are going to be one HILLIARY 08 people too!

Hillary? fuck that shit. I'm a registered Democrat but I'm pretty moderate on my views. A 2nd Bush was enough, we don't need a 2nd Clinton. If Colin Powell ever ran for office, I'd seriously vote for him. One of the few Reps that I'd vote for over most Dems. Well, if Hillary wins the Dem nomination, I'm so voting for Reps in 08. And I'm so hoping for Guiliani to win the Rep nomination.... seriously.

schultz Wrote:on the other hand 300 kept me glued to it watching it so wanted that stupid king to die but he never did.

Yeah, I was hoping to see a showdown between Leonitus and Xerxes. I was hoping that was gonna be the climax of the fights and we actually would get to see Xerxes do something... but that never happened, and Xerxes just cries at the end...which was lame.

Hidalgo Wrote:Seriously though, if your thinking that hard about this movie then you have missed the point. Its a good old fashioned testosterone soaked joygasam of violence and agression.

Yeah, it's definitely not my type of movie. I prefer something that pokes my brain a bit more. But you're completely right about it being a (lol) "testosterone soaked joygasm of violence and aggression" for guys.... but don't forget, the chicks dig the 300 chipendales walking around too.
geo85 Wrote:Yeah I saw a history channel doc on it, and according to historians leonidas died like many others in a hail of arrows and spears and some remaining spartans fought off 3 waves of persians to protect his fallen body but in the end they were killed and zerces took leonidas' head.
Actually he never did take his head off. For one this was against what they do. They honor fallen enemys in battle. I guess about 50 years later they actually returned the body of Leonidas to the Spartians and they held a funeral for him.

Psygnius Wrote:And if you listen to CNN every day in the car like me, then you'd end up associating things to the news a lot of times.

Well this is the problem that i hate about US News now. They now have shows that tell people how to interpret the news. Please do us a favor and look up stuff and make your own mind about what they are saying. Because i can take true facts and only give you want i want to tell you and scope things to how i want, convincing you to believe what i am wanting you to believe instead of what is real.

Its like that latest 60 mins report on teh War in Iraq that supposdly quotes troops as saying or a large portion of troops say they should get out. This was pulled out of a Poll in a Miltary Times news papar.. What they Failed to FULLY report and give you the FULL information was this.
Quote:Finally, and maybe most important considering the subject of this piece, only thirteen percent of those surveyed felt that there should be zero troops in Iraq and Kuwait. Again, pertaining to this piece, since Logan referenced this poll, wouldn?t it have been pertinent to show that a complete troop withdrawal is a clear minority view?

By contrast, thirteen percent of respondents felt the current number of troops was fine, while 22 percent said the number should be increased to between 146,000 and 200,000. And, sixteen percent said that there should be more than 200,000 troops in country.

So there is more troops that actually belive that the numbers are right.. AND there is even more tropps that think there should be more. Again this is a poll from the people that are ACTUALLY DOING THE JOB! the people that are putting THERE OWN LIVES in danger. Not some idiot back pushing a desk job to try and make some false news or there own propaganda.

So generally if something cites a poll then do yourself a favor see if you can find the actually poll and interprete for yourself what the polls means. Don't take what they want you to think, think for yourself.

Also one of my best friends back at home now all he listen's to is Public radio talk shows. Man he is soo fucked in the head now. It's really bad there is alot of things i can't to him about because just some of the shit he comes up with is just wow...
If we really want to have a discussion about politics and the news, that's fine, but we should probably make another thread for it instead of keeping it in the 300 thread.

Most form of news and opinions have some form of bias views in them. Just some arguably have more than others. My options in my car is the Fox News Channel or two stations of CNN, there are probably others, but I don't have an updated channel listing for Sirius and I don't know what stations they're on. Now out of those two choices, I feel Fox is much more bias than CNN, but I'll still listen to Fox once in a while if CNN is replaying a story.... or listen to one of the music stations.

I listen to CNN to find out what the current events are, not to make my decisions for me. I think this is true about the majority of the people who pay attention to the news (excluding FOX News :eek: ).

Although I do agree that Saddam needed to be removed from power, I just blatantly disagree with the war in Iraq. It was not our war to begin with, and went into it under the impression that he still posed a terrorist threat since he wouldn't hand over his supposed WMDs. But we really shot ourselves in the foot with this one, there's no way we can withdraw troops from here any more... at least not until we know a civil war won't potentially break out after we leave.

However, I'm for the war in Afghanistan, but we really don't ever read much about that war anymore though.

Schultz, I don't listen to talk radio BS, that stuff is too boring to listen to, majority of that is "let's listen to what our listeners have to say". The CNN I listen to is the same news reports you listen to on the TV, just maybe a couple of minutes behind. If you listen to CNN for only a couple of stories a day, yes, they'll sound biased, but if you listen to them for like 8-hours a day, every few days, you'll notice that their coverage is pretty balanced.

Anyways, this will be my last post in a while, I'm moving everything in a U-haul and heading out to California tonight. But Schultz, if you want to start another forum, or maybe have a discussion through PM, I'd be glad to chat with you. But until I'm settled in, later. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3