nostalgic rpg's
Cyrus Wrote:and thus this thread loses all purpose Tongue lol
You started this thread with...
"I was wondering who prefers the old kinda snes rpg dialog and style to the newer ones. It's almost like the newer rpg's just don't have the heart of the old ones and it's cool that the older ones have that childish yet mature sorta style mixed in instead of the newer ones always being serious and more realistic.

let me know

personally i dig it when the cleche's are all around the corner lol who knows maybe it's just cus i havn't played them in a while"

Now this is just me but when I diecide to discuss a topic that I care about I like the topic to be clearly stated. That is sort why I presented on what I though a traditional RPG was. Your first post almost begs for that type of response. As the times change the genera sometimes has to update. Such as there are little to no 2-d side scrollers anymore it has all gone 3-D. So do we compare 2-D to 3-D is it even fair to do so?

But if you want a simple answer then Yes I like the old school, try and true rpg's of old. The SNES was a RPGers dream machine. From Capcoms "Breath of Fire" to FF "Mystic Quest" there was something for every level and ablity of RPG fans.
[Image: slay6.jpg]
I am known as the Red leader of the Ichi Hentai!
Hehe.. Final Fantasy 8 huh, im still amazed that many people dont know how to play this game. first off its the easiest FF Game in the series. what you need to do is not level up at all just kill what you actually have to kill and steal magic. i beat it on level 16 including the omega weapon. Now the zelda series is tough to label but if its an RPG so is any metroid game. Castlevania SOTN And the 3 games for the gameboy advance are RPG's side scrolling doesnt mean otherwise.
It's all EVIL!!
justin Wrote:Hehe.. Final Fantasy 8 huh, im still amazed that many people dont know how to play this game. first off its the easiest FF Game in the series. what you need to do is not level up at all just kill what you actually have to kill and steal magic. i beat it on level 16 including the omega weapon. Now the zelda series is tough to label but if its an RPG so is any metroid game. Castlevania SOTN And the 3 games for the gameboy advance are RPG's side scrolling doesnt mean otherwise.

I agree FF8 is very disappointing because of that. Aside from having 0 replay value.

Anyways I feel the last good RPG was Final Fantasy 9, the music, graphics, and system was awesome. And I loved the story. Here's my list of favorite RPGs:

FFIX
FFVII
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Grandia
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
FF2 and 3
FF Tactics
Star Ocean 2

I agree with the main poster that old school RPGs were the best. FFX really went to shit, and FFXI wasn't a game (online chatroom with wild bunnies and sheep), Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.. blah! Uh.. Suikoden IV... main character didn't even have a name, nor a personality (III was WAY better but not a favorite RPG) Granda II wasn't as good and III was shit as well. Wild Arms has also gone down hill. WTF are these game developers thinking? THey're running out of good storylines, putting in complicated and annoying battle / eqiupment systems, and making a single task like "go to every cloister of trials then fight Sin" ... sad. Older stuff like Chrono Trigger and FFVII has storylines so complex it takes hours and hours to describe only the events, let alone the story behind the events. I feel RPGs are dying, anyone agree with me?

Good RPGs Released for PS2:
None

Average RPGs Released:
FFX (nothing compared to IX and VII)
Xenosaga (Xenogears wins)
Suikoden III
Star Ocean 3
Legend of Legaia 2

Shit RPGs Released:
Suikoden 4
Wild Arms 3, and Alter Code F (4)
Grandia Extreme (3)
FF Crystal Cronicles
FFX-2
FFXI
And 300 others I forgot about

There use to be atleast 3 great RPGs a year in the old days, now I haven't seen ONE good RPG in atleast 4 years. There is a "select few" that are average and about 95% are shit.
Anime Want To Buy / Sell / Trade List: http://www.import-anime.com/forums/showt...php?t=5548
suikoden 4 i thought was pretty good i mean im not sure but i think the next suikoden is gonna play directly off of suikoden 4 so....

suikoden 1 and 2 were much better then suikoden 3 and 4 tho

P.S. i think the reason the main character isn't all that talkative and stuff is cus you get to switch him out as you play thru the game the second time but maybe thats just me

ff x was a great rpg story wise but it got pretty repetitive.....

and what the heck both parasite eve games are awesome come on
Cyrus
The problem with most rpgs today is that a lot of them are just rehashing old stories but with better graphics and different characters. I personally like chrono trigger all the ff's up to 7. Around the time of legend of dragoon and ff7 was probably the pinacle of rpgs. It seems that there are some great new innovations and stories but no one game excells in all areas like the old rpgs. Developers dont take the time to craft a great game anymore, they just pump out a new one and hope it sells for profit. On a final note stadegy guides in my opinion are pointless. If you need one to play the game maybe you shouldn't be playing that game, I personally enjoy very long games and discovering side quests and extras myself.
I've been playing RPGs since the good old days of Dragon Warrior on the NES. I'd have to say that today's games definitely don't have the in-depth stories of those from years past. Which is the main reason why I personally play games - for the story.

This isn't to say that I hate all the next gen RPGs. I've had plenty of fun with FFVII thru X-2, Suikoden 3, KotOR I&II, Arc the Lad: TotS, Chrono Cross, plus many more that just don't come to mind right now.

But I'll never forget the games that made me love the genre - FFI thru FFVI, Suikoden I&II, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, etc etc etc.

I think it's amazing what the game developers are capable of these days when it comes to graphics and gameplay. I do wish that they would focus a little heavier on the story, tho.

Oh, and I agree, strategy guides are completely useless. I don't know why they haven't gone out of business since the introduction of places like gamefaqs.com
Opportunity - what happens when destiny cuts you some slack.
try out shadow hearts 1 it has a good story and ff 10 has an awesome story tho it's pretty competitive

yeah strategy guides are really crappy i mean if they came with a wallscroll or a really cool poster and coupons for merchandise or something else it may be different

and yes i know some do come with a poster but i want more then the little thing they decide to throw in i mean come on what are they 15 to 20 bucks i can buy another decent game for that...
Cyrus
Lufia and Lufia 2
Dragon Warrior
Zelda The first one
FF 3-4
Crono Trigger

I like some of the newer ones of course I list ever Ledgends of Dragoon and Crono Cross as newer titles.
I am "Pedro" I am an afro warrior-----
Excel saga
For the record Zelda is an ADVENTURE series, not an RPG. And I like the direction RPG?s are going NOW. If only they would put some effort behind the VA?s you know? I am an RPG fan, but my favorites have always been lesser knowns like Fallout. If you haven?t played Fallout one or two you don?t know where the scope of recent games like Fable, KOTOR, and Jade Empire have their roots. I have played both games at least 20 times apiece. They are masterpieces and stand up very well today unlike a lot of older RPG?s. RPG?s to me has become a story telling genre. Old RPG?s were ?You play a role in how this game is played?, and newer ones are like, ?you see the role the characters play in a story? and the most recent are fusing the two together seamlessly.
[Image: kakashianbubanner3psdva9.jpg]
"OMFG, let me rush onto my NOAHS ARC!" by JunkieJoe
I'll have to try Fallout when I get back to the states. You're not the first person I've met that said it was pretty good. Smile

There's just too many games and not enough time, plus I have to share the TV with my girlfriend. :p
Opportunity - what happens when destiny cuts you some slack.
Vagrant Saint Wrote:I'll have to try Fallout when I get back to the states. You're not the first person I've met that said it was pretty good. Smile

There's just too many games and not enough time, plus I have to share the TV with my girlfriend. :p

I can't evangelize it enough. It is for PC and can be played on a computer with just about nothing in the way of specs. Plus, I bet you could find both games together for less that 10 bucks together.
[Image: kakashianbubanner3psdva9.jpg]
"OMFG, let me rush onto my NOAHS ARC!" by JunkieJoe
i have fall out 1 and 2 and they are pretty cool games. They are about as good as septeras core if you have played that. but fall out has way more of a story then newer rpg's don't get me wrong there are a few good newer rpg's but for the most part they are pretty crappy....

btw someone i think has one of the fall out games for trade or sell just for your information
Cyrus
Cyrus Wrote:i have fall out 1 and 2 and they are pretty cool games. They are about as good as septeras core if you have played that. but fall out has way more of a story then newer rpg's don't get me wrong there are a few good newer rpg's but for the most part they are pretty crappy....

btw someone i think has one of the fall out games for trade or sell just for your information

I think I d/led Fallout 1 a long time back (er my judgement of time sucks) back when my monitor was still screwed up, & I couldn't tell what was going on because of the tint.

For anyone who loves 'old school' SNES age RPGs, that's where RPGMaker & other fan done games come in at. Although there's only about 1 good fan made game out of every 7-10 released, but when you find a gem it's worth treasuring.
http://www.gamingw.net
Right now I'm playing Kinetic Cipher (Again), it's a bit frusterating, but really good. Demon Hunter is quite nice, but there's a glitche a little ways into the game, or so I think.
My Soul Brings Tears to Satanic Eyes.

If Max Collins, Matt Skiba, Jimmy Urine, & Mark Phillips had a child it would be one fu*ked up mofo, but 'it' would be the God of music.

As-1D R077's temp homepage: http://www.freewebs.com/as1dr077/index.html