nostalgic rpg's
Just to comment, but I thought Zelda was Act/Adv, how is it an RPG. I myself called it an RPG up till..eh, well the point that I stopped & thought about it not being one.
My Soul Brings Tears to Satanic Eyes.

If Max Collins, Matt Skiba, Jimmy Urine, & Mark Phillips had a child it would be one fu*ked up mofo, but 'it' would be the God of music.

As-1D R077's temp homepage: http://www.freewebs.com/as1dr077/index.html
well if you consider secret of mana or secret of evermore then you should prolly consider zelda link to the past as a rpg cus you do lvl with hearts and upgraded weapons and armor
Cyrus
*Shrugs* I consider it one. It has most of the elements. At least the Ocarina of Time does. :confused:
./"Hey you, you only love me when i'm down. F*ck me, play yourself we'll mess around. On you, gazebo life you got me down. My pool, swim in this place and you'll drown. ~The Trews - "Antigonish Song"
[Image: guts20banner201smaller7jf.jpg]
Made By Blight ^
Well there is no big line in the sand that separates RPG's from Act/Adv. With that being said there seams to be some guide lines in that makes up the two groups.

RPG's Must have:
Leveling up
The ability to change or up grade base stats.
A long drawn out story that seams to go no were but you grow a strong feel to the people in the story due to it's drawn out factor. Dialog moves the story not the action.
An active battle system or chess board battle map system.
More than one playable character. And a battle involves 3 to 12 playable character

Examples: FF (any version), Lunar, Secret of Mana, and Wild Arms

Act/Adv
Up grading your character but never messing with his base stats (Example Castlevania (PS2) you got better whips and Armor but they never changed his base stats)
Battles happen in real time with little to no menu interaction
The story is more condensed letting the action move the story not the dialog.
One main playable character, with a cast on NPC?s to move the story

Examples: Zelda, Metriod, Castlevania (PS2), Devil May Cry.

Those are just a few basic rules that I feel apply to all games of these styles.

There are a few that bend the rules such as:

Castlevania: SOTN, D&D Balders Gate, X-men Legends, and a few others
[Image: slay6.jpg]
I am known as the Red leader of the Ichi Hentai!
castlevania Sympthony of the night doesen't really have story plus it's a side scroll platform game like mario so...

baldurs gate as in comp or ps2?

as in comp it's a rpg cus it's d and d and yeah it's as much a rpg as neverwinter nights is

as in ps2 id say action adventure
Cyrus
Cyrus Wrote:castlevania doesen't really have story plus it's a side scroll platform game like mario so...

baldurs gate as in comp or ps2?

as in comp it's a rpg cus it's d and d and yeah it's as much a rpg as neverwinter nights is

as in ps2 id say action adventure

what are you talking about, castlevania has a bad ass story, granted it is a side scroll, but the third one (and best one) is so rare, and bad ass, that i deem it an honorary RPG
odin0425 Wrote:what are you talking about, castlevania has a bad ass story, granted it is a side scroll, but the third one (and best one) is so rare, and bad ass, that i deem it an honorary RPG

Yeah? You and what army? Eh? An army of evil monkeys you say? *Slowly backs away...*
and thus this thread loses all purpose Tongue lol
Cyrus
Well while I never meantioned if it needed to be a side scroller or not I did state that Castlevania: SOTN was in one of those gray sections. Take for example it let's you customise Alucard to the style you like playing. If you want a magic using guy you can if you want to go bare hands you can. But I think the biggest reason I give it for being a non-traditional RPG is because of the leveling up you can do. Not only can you level up Alucard but you can even level up his familurs, swords*, and shields* (*- certain ones)

Also Cyrus I think both the versions of Baldurs Gate are in the gray area. But the comp version is lot closer to a RPG and the console is closer to Act/Adv.
[Image: slay6.jpg]
I am known as the Red leader of the Ichi Hentai!
Cyrus Wrote:and thus this thread loses all purpose Tongue lol

Only if you let it. I don't really like these debates. Who cares which category you put games into? There are many games that fit several categories at once. No sense trying to say they belong in one or the other.
actually at first this thread had a different purpose anyways so...
Cyrus
Cyrus Wrote:actually at first this thread had a different purpose anyways so...
At first it kinda compared the old to the new, in a way of looking back & aprecating the old more, but somewhere along the line newer game names started getting thrown in an irrelivant way.

If Max Collins, Matt Skiba, Jimmy Urine, & Mark Phillips had a child it would be one fu*ked up mofo, but 'it' would be the God of music.

The two RPGs I didn't like the most from the SNES have to be Earthbound and Zelda. I know they are good but they don't appeal to me personally.
i think most of the time people dislike earthbound cus it was so childish but it's kinda cool to beat up gang members and whatnot if i remember right.... lol

im not enjoying secret of evermore as much as i used to thought it's ok and has some good lines but the story is pretty plain Sad
Cyrus
Cyrus Wrote:i think most of the time people dislike earthbound cus it was so childish but it's kinda cool to beat up gang members and whatnot if i remember right.... lol
Maybe it was just the age at which I played it, but it seemed to have a great lacking of direction :confused: