The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.3.6 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Import Anime Forums
nostalgic rpg's - Printable Version

+- Import Anime Forums (https://import-anime.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Anime/HK DVD Discussion (https://import-anime.com/forums/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Video Gaming (https://import-anime.com/forums/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: nostalgic rpg's (/thread-5164.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

nostalgic rpg's - Cyrus - 04-22-2005

so yeah i have been playing secret of evermore and i've been noticing the somewhat cheesy dialog and the way it's kinda corney but in a good way and i was wondering who prefers the old kinda snes rpg dialog and style to the newer ones. It's almost like the newer rpg's just don't have the heart of the old ones and it's cool that the older ones have that childish yet mature sorta style mixed in instead of the newer ones always being serious and more realistic.

let me know

personally i dig it when the cleche's are all around the corner lol who knows maybe it's just cus i havn't played them in a while

nostalgic rpg's - tsunami - 04-22-2005

I love old-school RPGs. One of my high school teachers loved Ultima over any other RPG he's played. I personally love Chrono Trigger and FF2/3. I think RPGs these days are trying to get too complex like Disgaea and that stupid grid in FFX. I also think RPGs are starting to get too lifelike in their graphics as FF7 with it's blocky look was kick ass compared to the crappy graphics in FF8 and FF9s stupid talking action.

nostalgic rpg's - Cidien - 04-22-2005

PS1 has my favorite RPG's followed by the SNES (Chrono Trigger is my favorite of all time though) then the PS2.

nostalgic rpg's - evilomar - 04-22-2005

SNES by far had the better RPGs.... Old School Baby!!!

nostalgic rpg's - Cidien - 04-22-2005

Chrono Trigger aside I think the Final Fantasy games on PS1 (including tactics) and legend of dragoon sway me to the ps1 era. The breath of fire games are pretty good too. Still wish I hadn't sold Chrono Trigger... I had Janus to level ** and I hardly ever used him because he was such a loner character. Anyone who's played CT knows how hard that is even if you play with him quite a bit.... lol. No idea how many times i've played through that game. I've gotten every ending in the game playing from the beginning and i've gotten the common ending (with chrono) at least 15-20 times.

Yes, not a whole lot else to do for a youth at the lakes that doesn't like the lake. Big Grin

nostalgic rpg's - odin0425 - 04-22-2005

i am with you guys on this one, i am a snes to early ps1 rpg man. the story always seemed better, and they always had more heart...but the one thing i will give to the newer rpgs is voice dubs...finally an already lazy gamer, can become even more lazy...and they said it couldnt be done

nostalgic rpg's - Cyrus - 04-22-2005

i like the anime rpg's coming out when they have anime clips thats cool

but yeah voice dubbing can really improve a game it makes you get into it more

btw some good snes rpg's are

final fantasy series
chrono trigger
robotrek
lufia 2
secret of evermore is pretty cool
secret of mana
earthbound
zelda link to the past if you call that an rpg
yeah i wanted to play bahamut lagoon but sadly it's only in japanese Sad

good ps1 rpg's

lunar silver star story
tales of destiny
parasite eve 1 and 2
legend of dragoon isn't that great storywise from what i have played and that half way thru disk 3 but there are some really cool elements
final fantasy 7,8 has good things but i hate the story,9 origins Big Grin
suikoden series
breath of fire 3 is great 4 is ok
the only one i think i am leaving out that i can think of off the top of my head is xenogears and i actually havn't played it so....

but yeas as far as ps2 goes

suikoden 3 and 4 though 4 is better i think
Kingdom hearts
ff 10
arc the lad
(havn't played the other ones for ps1 yet)
shadow hearts

i just felt like blabbin on so...

nostalgic rpg's - -spike- - 04-23-2005

Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are two of my favorite old school RPG's.

nostalgic rpg's - rarnom - 04-23-2005

Dragon Warrior all the way. All of those games RULED.

nostalgic rpg's - Cidien - 04-24-2005

Suikoden 3 sucks the big one. Can't believe I forgot to mention Suikoden 2 though. It's definitely worth the price (can sell it for $100 in good condition) though. So many playable characters, 6 fighters at once without feeling overwhelmed, a great story and you get your very own castle that gets better with the more people you recruit to your cause.

nostalgic rpg's - Cyrus - 04-24-2005

see i always said yeah suikoden 3 sucks too but then i realized that alone it's not that bad i mean if you have never played the older games it's not that bad because it's soo different from the older games fans of the older games says it sucks but for people who are intorduced to that game it's ok.

It's the same with ff 8 compared to most final fantasy games it sucks SOOOOOOOOOO BAD but it still is a whole lot better then a lot of rpg's making it good it just has so much to compare up to.

nostalgic rpg's - Cidien - 04-24-2005

FF8 is better with a strat guide. I love the story of the game but the fighting system is overly complicated and can be a little annoying. There are some good things about it though.

Suikoden 3 (havn't even beat it) has a pretty good story too. I'd sit through it and watch if I never had to engage in any kind of battle ever again. Game has one of the worst combat systems i've ever played.

nostalgic rpg's - -spike- - 04-24-2005

I loved FF8, mostly for its story line. I think 9 is my favorite though.

I cant believe I forgot Xenogears, what a great game.

nostalgic rpg's - Batz Kage - 04-24-2005

Hard for me to post here, me & RPGs don't go that far back, probaby because I went from the Nes, to the N64, to the PSOne for about 2 years & now I play the PS2.

Had no real RPGs for the nes growing up. There were RPGs for the N64? XD

My PSOne rpgs were FF 9-7 (got them in backwards order) & Wild Arms2.

I've played quite a few for the SNES, but none were played so long ago for me to look back on; plus, I'm dense when it comes to plots. I see what's happening but don't analize it, & I skip generic conversations so I don't totally get the feeling of each charater's personaily.

nostalgic rpg's - katherine_jean - 04-24-2005

Chrono Trigger! *Drools*

Zelda for SNES can't be ignored either.