I Have A Problem -_-
Well, I never gave much thought to where the term came from. Although I had an idea. But I don't think it counts as a 'racial slur' because it's in my regular Webster's Dictionary.
Quote:Originally posted by tsunami
Ahh Vicious.... racial slur!!:mad: "indian giver" reffers to the native americans who were called "indians". The term became that because when the native americans "traded" Manhattan for some worthless beads and crap quality copper and found out they had been duped they wanted Manhattan back. (That's how I remember the term coming about.)

When I give away something I basically tell myself to kiss it goodbye cause I know it's not coming back. Tell her your willing to cut a deal if she starts getting pissy about it.

Oh thanks for the info, so its of Native American Indians! No wonder ive never come across the term before coz im British

Tut tut Vicious:mad:
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/
Also in their culture, if someone was cold, they would "give" them a blanket but it is expected to be taken back by the owner eventually. Sort of like if you owned something first, it's known that they could always take it back.
My mum uses Indian giver and we're from the UK... I thought it was if you give something then expect something else back instead... Never knew were it came from though...
I grew up with the term Indian Giver... I even have a song by the Squirrel Nut Zippers by that title.

So... thanks to the internet, I found a web page that has the origins of terms (You can check it out HERE) and here's the definition from them
Indian Giver

There are two popular etymologies for this term for a person who gives a gift only to later demand its return. The first is that it is based on an unfair stereotype of Native Americans, that they don't keep their word. In the other popular explanation, the term doesn't cast aspersions on Native Americans, instead it echoes the broken promises the whites made to the Indians. Neither is accurate, although the first is closer to the truth.

Instead the term comes from different commercial practices. To the Native Americans, who had no concept of money or currency, gifts were a form of trade goods, of exchange. One didn't give a gift without expecting one of equivalent value in return. If one could not offer an equivalent return gift, the original gift would be refused or returned. To the Europeans, who with their monetary-based trade practices, this seemed low and insulting, gifts were not for trade but were to be freely given.

The noun Indian gift dates to 1765. Indian giver follows about a century later in 1865. Originally, these reflected simply the expectation of a return gift. By the 1890s, the sense had shifted to mean one who demands a gift back.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problems with computer Cidien 2 2,028 03-16-2007, 01:46 AM
Last Post: Cidien
  Problem playing subtitles form dvd on pc RF_InSAnE 6 2,990 02-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Schultz
  Problem with dvd burner Cidien 10 5,391 01-29-2006, 12:56 AM
  Massive DVD Problem with Soul Taker starsoldier 6 2,878 10-04-2005, 02:40 AM
Last Post: gubi-gubi
  Mail Problems? cyborgninja828 8 3,977 09-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Last Post: cyborgninja828
  Dvd Shrink Problem Cidien 15 5,553 08-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Cidien
  DVD compression problems? Why? Cidien 24 6,711 06-01-2005, 10:11 PM
  English problems!!!!!Can anyone help me??? pythoness 7 4,207 04-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Puppet Master
  problem with other hk dealers puzzleguy 2 1,608 03-10-2005, 03:19 AM
Last Post: Elcoholic
  logging in problem Gemini 4 1,952 03-09-2005, 04:27 PM