MAC, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop...
Well we started to talk about music on this board. I had a thought, how much do HK DVD companies really make?

Figure at 26 episode series costs about $30 (Like Inu Yasha)
1. Cost of Artwork and Gatefold (not much but still enough to consider)
2. Cost of DVDs
3. Effort Subbing (some are trash but Maison Ikkoku was done really good)

After that how much do they really make?

I'll disagree with people who say HKs are perfectly legal. However look at some of the series Doreamon, Najica Blitz Tatic, Tekkaman Blade, and the like. They aren't liscensed, and therefore are no better or worse than fansubs (well legality wise, not translations ^_^).

Also Batz if I could be a pop star, I would jump on it. I wouldn't care how many people called me a sell out, as long as I had enough money to be set for life, I wouldn't care what others would say.
Steve_the_Talking_Pie: Hampsters Bumpin' and Grindin' Since '99.

Region 1: DVD Collection
A lot of not so main stream, & a pertty good amount of non-mainstream bands are set for life. So why not do something you can take real pride in, rather than "other" things. Listen to NoFx- Dinosuars will Die, it'll explain what I was trying to explain there. Ignore me my opintion are based 75% because I like Pnuk & Hardcore, & 25% based on all the people I hate like pop music.
My Soul Brings Tears to Satanic Eyes.

If Max Collins, Matt Skiba, Jimmy Urine, & Mark Phillips had a child it would be one fu*ked up mofo, but 'it' would be the God of music.

As-1D R077's temp homepage: http://www.freewebs.com/as1dr077/index.html
Aha, do you wear Chuck Taylors? I used to be that punk kind of kid who used to skate, but I got over it. I still enjoy punk Misfits, Sex Pistols, AFI, the Clash, and I voted for Kodos are all good stuff ^_^. Check out other stuff too, D Bomb (Polish Techno), Ayumi Hamasaki (JPOP), Steely Dan (Classic Rock), Eric Clapton (Blues), Enrique Boliviana (Cuban Jazz) and so on.

Quote:Originally posted by "Steve_the_Talking_Pie"

The Misfits, Sex Pistols, AFI, the Clash

I'll agree with all but the Sex Pistols, never heard them. But, have you ever listened to NoFx Rancid, Lars & the Bastards, Dropkick Murphys, Tiger Army, Pennywise, too many to name so i'll sum it all up, about everthing produced by Epitaph, & Hell Cat Records?

If Max Collins, Matt Skiba, Jimmy Urine, & Mark Phillips had a child it would be one fu*ked up mofo, but 'it' would be the God of music.

The Sex Pistols are a classic example of attitude over talent. The raw power and drive make it really easy to overlook any technical faults. Jonny Rotten went on to grow more with PIL and I think Jah Wobble grew out of the Sex Pistols as well. It's great seeing how these guys grew.

The Clash is one of my all time favourites. Balancing punk sensibilities with experimental productions took the band to places where no one else has been. Check out Joe Strummer's current stuff with the Mescaleros. Cool N Out is one of the most driving summer tunes I've heard in a long time.

Batz, I hate to say this but Pennywise and NoFx are both borderline mainstream. I think they've both broken into the top 40 at one point or another. That doesn't mean that they've sold out. It means that they made it.

I look back at all the great artists over the years like the Art of Noise, Thomas Dolby, Cream, Queen, The Beatles, PJ Harvey, Portishead, Carlinhos Brown, microbunny, Yokko Kanno, The Squirrel Nut Zippers, Benny Goodman, The Ramones, The Violent Femmes, and The Reverand Horton Heat, and realize that good music comes from all genres... it's just a matter of recognizing it when it comes along and giving it credit when you notice it.

Let's just be glad that most of the great musicians can't help themselves. Most of them like being able to make a living doing something that they enjoy doing and they bigger they get, the more people they can share that with.

My biggest complaint with the internet is that it makes it so easy for up and coming bands to get their stuff circulated that I can't keep up with all the new acts coming down the pipe.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
AS long as NoFx & Pennywise never turn into Blink 182 :roll: , I'll always love'em! Blink 182 has some good songs, but they're way to mainstream for my taste. :x

That's what I like about Blink 182 and Sum41... they've both managed to maintain the whole fun feel to their music while being embraced by the mainstream.
I will agree that their current music is way overproduced and they should find a way to bring some of the rawness from their live performances back into the recordings. That can be said for a lot of bands that have producers that like too much polish and gloss for their own good.
*nods* My friend acts like Blink 182 are the Gods of Punk, so naturely I hate them.

Anyone notice i'm trying to get a ton of post, & tring to keep my post being the last on sertain topics? Don't ask I have no life & a lot of homework is due tommarrow, yet I'm not working on it.

Here's some great Music
-------------------------------
CKY - metal group, that did crazy shit before Jack Ass was out
HIM - Dutch metal band that sings in English, did stuff for CKY
Maaya Sakamoto - Great JPOP, Platinum and Tomodachi are great
Bouncing Souls - Another Jersey punk band
Tokio - they did the opening theme for Kodocha, somewhat girly though
Happy Hardcore - Great techno, extremely fun (the Ultimate Sex Track)
Jose Amnesia - love the song Hentai, techno
Eva Dahlgren - German (correct me if I'm wrong) New Age

The music of the Pop-Punk bands is good but it lacks some things at times!!
There somgs seem to have no real substance, they just made to be hits and thats it! Blink has the occasional song with substance and Sum41 has yet to have one but the music is still good!!
and I agree with Steve
the songs
96 Quite Bitter Beings, by CKY
and
Right Here In Your Arms, by HIM
are amazing!!!
"Hitting rock bottom is not a weekend retreat."
"Something wicked this way comes."
I think I'm going to have to check out this CKY group.
Definately. Especially Disengage the Simulator, Sara's Mask, Lost in my Contraption, 96 Quite Bitter Beings, and Eye of the Tiger.

Also make sure to check out the group Next to Last. Good stuff. :mrgeen: Shonen Knife is like female Japanese punk which is actually pretty good. Iwao Junko is pretty good, solid JPOP.

So many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many (that's 20 manys, I counte) bands out there that rock, but most people will never hear about them.

How about mine? The great Tragedy of Chester McDermit. Can't really explain what we are, but I know we rock. :mrgreen: