Poll: What is your stand on anime?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Imports all the way!
0%
0 0%
R1's only, Go High Prices!
0%
0 0%
Normally Imports unless R1's are affordable.
100.00%
1 100.00%
Total 1 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

To R1 or Not to R1
Hi,

I love anime. Ever since i watched the Matrix, i a have been dying to see more of that type of action. It was after watching the documentry when it came to dvd that i learned it was inspired off anime and then my obsession began. The first anime i ever watched was Ninja Scroll and after that i was hooked. I started watching toonami back in the day when gundam, tenchi, ronin warriors, outlaw star, and dbz was on. At first i did buy r1's but only movies. I ended up buying about 30 r1 movies then it started to tick me off. I wanted to see more, not just movies but the series. It was then that they were taking off outlaw star and tenchi and i wanted them back. I started going to blockbuster, comic book stores, and ebay and then i found my calling. I was getting them cheap and i finally got my favorite series, tenchi r1. To my disappointment and to my wallet, the dvd did not have 5.1 dolby digital dubb and from then on i took a new stand to R1. I would not spend over $15 for any anime. I started buy new and not spending $30 at suncoast for a movie. I started to find sales but my first hk set was Cowboy Bebop. The quality wasn't perfect but good enough for me. After that i started buying anime in bundles seasonally. I made a friend on ebay and i now have alittle over 30 series. I have a new stand on anime. Why spend $20-30 on a fraction of an anime with very little extras, have dolby digital if it is a series, and not let you get that many animes. You can spend around $20 and get a full anime with 24-26 episodes and you may not get extras and no dolby digital but great quality. Better than new vhs and cd like sound. (all this depending on sets, some crap some good but if you just get fx or mi you should get a good average)

Animes are expensive. I prefer imports now. I don't have to download and i can afford them. We don't have the options to watch these like asians, we find out about these thru friends, pictures, or minute segment trailers. Then R1 companies have the nerve to ask for over $120 for something you have not seen before. If R1 companies really want our business, they should lower their prices to around $30-$40 for a normal 26 episode set. I know R1's have to pay licensing fees to both the original and us companies. That they have to package and recreate certain aspects but common. Buffy and Smallville can fit twenty-two episodes on six dvds and if you buy them from walmart.com you can get them around $45.

Don't they know teenagers are cheap. We don't want to be but if we have the ability to get A- vs A+ quality for less than 75% the price what would you do.

I know when people respond some will agree and some will disagree. For those in favor of r1s, you either are rich and can afford it but remember we poooooor folks. (who do the math and can outway the costs and are fine with the quality). I would prefer r1 because i know they are doing good and should be supported but not to that degree. I also want to repeat on the quality issue, it depends. Mac and Ac may have some junk dvds as do fx or mi. It depends on when they were made and both companies have highs and lows but fx and mi you do have to admit have the highest quality average. I personally haven't had very many complaints about fx or mi because i watch stuff dubbed and i know most imports have times where there are poor subs. I just can't get into action packed or comedy type animes where i am reading and can't watch the show and that is why i watch dubbed. (learned my lesson with yu yu hakusho 12 dvd sub madness)

Please post your opinions but don't be harsh and name call.
these kind of threads get out of hand fast so I will close it preemptively

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blue Seed R1 for $35 at rightstuf Vance 7 6,025 09-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Last Post: zrdb
  Dbz R1-r4 fahad17 16 11,149 06-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Last Post: isamu99
  r1 dvd production costs Cyrus 2 1,995 09-16-2005, 04:09 AM
Last Post: animeshop
  Something weird I discovered about the Inuyasha R1 Dvd's... Liete 16 6,597 08-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Liete
  Do R1 rips wear out faster then normal DVDs? Mot_Soldats 9 3,915 08-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Last Post: gubi-gubi
  Does Mac Do alot of R1 rips ? Spike_8 3 1,678 07-05-2005, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Cidien
  GITS: SAC R1's Cidien 8 3,495 02-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Last Post: dvd_master
  Bad R1 DVDs and GITS2 Dustball 16 6,465 01-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Dustball
  Sweet R1 dvd deals a just got recently kcpacman 6 3,212 11-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Cidien
  Do you watch R1's as you buy them, or once you have the full set? r00ster 20 9,150 09-20-2004, 08:19 PM
Last Post: Japschin