DVD players that will definitely play FX?
Well my other players and PS2 had problems playing my Trigun and Cowboy Bebop FX sets (of course the one player almost always wouldn't play some disc from any set HK). I bought a new DVD player (because I wanted progressive scan), and thus far it plays everything HK I have. I'm also getting another shippment of FX DVDs in the mail from IA, and I'll let you know if it plays all of them also. Anyways the Player that I just bought is a Pioneer model DV-260 and I got it from wal-mart.
[Image: gametz-ad6.gif]
It was my PS2 that prompted me to get a stand alone DVD player. The PS2 was having troubles with some R1 discs as well as a number of brands of HK DVDs.

I'll be the second in here to suggest the Panasonic 5 disc changer. Mine has played everything I've thrown at it including one disc that wouldn't play properly on my buddies Sony player.
I have a number of FX sets and every one of those has played without error for me as well.

To top it off, the Panasonic really isn't that much more expensive than other brands so It doesn't feel like you need to mortgage your house to get a nice player (I wish I had a $2000 DVD player...).

Just remember, the PS2 is probably the worst DVD player on the market. I love it for playing games but the DVD capabilities of it are highly over rated.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
Actually I don't know why but I've never viewed any movies on my PS2. I only use it to check the dvds that my other dvd players could not play. Other than that, PS2 is only for games. Isn't that what PS2 is for?
Sure, if you have a stand alone DVD player. If you don't, it works pretty well as both!!Big Grin
"MADE IN HEAVEN, FORGED IN HELL"
Yeah it's hard to pick a DVD player that will play them all. The only advice I can give is too get a good high end one. WE just got a yamaha one that is DVI and up-converts the resolution to the best. So far no trouble eith it.
I bought the Denon DVD-9000 over the weekend. Cost me nothing coz of the 0% interest till end of 2007. Heheheheheh....but I'm going to return it this weekend. WHY? Coz I have a little bit of problem playing Inuyasha Part II DVD #3, can't forward from episode 3 onwards, just hung/froze like my other dvd players. I got to switch off the player and restart the player. A dvd player that cost so much SHOULDN'T give me a problem. Crap! I have to send it back to JJ for replacement again coz I tried it on my computer too, it won't even recognize the dvd.
:mad:
Quote:Originally posted by Japschin
I bought the Denon DVD-9000 over the weekend. Cost me nothing coz of the 0% interest till end of 2007. Heheheheheh....but I'm going to return it this weekend. WHY? Coz I have a little bit of problem playing Inuyasha Part II DVD #3, can't forward from episode 3 onwards, just hung/froze like my other dvd players. I got to switch off the player and restart the player. A dvd player that cost so much SHOULDN'T give me a problem.

Man, if I had the money to get a decent Denon - quick return or not - I wouldn't dare soil it with troublesome HK DVDs.

Incidentally, my Pioneer DV 636 has finally been defeated - I can only watch Episodes 0-4 of X Disc 1 on it. It froze, but before doing so began to make the most awful 'clunking' sounds so much so that I feared for the health of the machine. I've never had a problem with the machine whether the DVD is R1, 2, 3 or 4 or a HK.

However, the disc plays fine on my DVD ROM and my lesser Tosh SD2100, but they are not my preferred set-ups. Hopefully the other Discs are okay and I can return to watching on the Pioneer.
Quote:I have a little bit of problem playing Inuyasha Part II DVD #3, can't forward from episode 3 onwards, just hung/froze like my other dvd players.

That is normal since Flora says it is a bad batch. But i think you should take it back anyway since:
1) You have enough players already
2) I tested 10 Disk 3's on my machine and it didn't freeze, just skipped forward 3 mins, so that machine deals unsatisfactorily with bad disks. :p

Flora says he is aware of prob and working on replacements.
Quote:Originally posted by Prophet Hero
Man, if I had the money to get a decent Denon - quick return or not - I wouldn't dare soil it with troublesome HK DVDs.

However, the disc plays fine on my DVD ROM and my lesser Tosh SD2100, but they are not my preferred set-ups. Hopefully the other Discs are okay and I can return to watching on the Pioneer.

Heheh Big Grin What really matters to me now is to have something that plays the HK dvds. I have so many HK DVDs to watch after buying from this site. I don't really worry about the R1s coz none of my dvd players have any problems at all playing them. Yeah...when I tried the Inuyasha on the Denon, it made weird, loud noises. That's why I don't want the Denon anymore coz from what JJ said, his friend's $2000 Denon had no problems with those 'defective' dvds so why should my $3000 player have it? So Denon is going back. :p One thing which I'm really grateful about it the 0% interest and 0 down payment at the store, I get to test out the electronics without havin to burn a big hole in my pocket.

Now I'm just hoping, like you, that all the other DVDs play well. Havn't had the time to test all the DVDs, don't really like testing them too when I've not watched any of the series at all. Wink It's really getting kind of troublesome/hassle for me to try to get more and more dvd players. Plus, i don't have them all in one room, I don't want to have to go get those dvd players or borrow my housemate's just to watch 1 dvd.

Like what crayon said, i have way too many dvd players to efficiently utilise them all. I only need 2 in my room to interchange.
Let's hope Flora does try to correct the problems, if not just minimise them. I'll be really happy then. Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Prophet Hero

Incidentally, my Pioneer DV 636 has finally been defeated - I can only watch Episodes 0-4 of X Disc 1 on it. It froze, but before doing so began to make the most awful 'clunking' sounds so much so that I feared for the health of the machine. I've never had a problem with the machine whether the DVD is R1, 2, 3 or 4 or a HK.

I think the same thing happnes in my Pioneer 656. When you Begin playing the chapters in Title 2 (the episodes in DVD1 are splitted across 3 different Titles , instead of the normal 1 Title with all the chapters) it freezes and image gets blocky right ?
Quote:Originally posted by The Swan
I think the same thing happnes in my Pioneer 656. When you Begin playing the chapters in Title 2 (the episodes in DVD1 are splitted across 3 different Titles , instead of the normal 1 Title with all the chapters) it freezes and image gets blocky right ?

Towards the middle of Episode 5, the image does indeed start to get blocky and then my player starts 'clicking and clunking' and eventually stops the disc - to limit the damage I suppose. The same thing happened on Episode 6. I didn't watch the rest of the Disc on my Pioneer for fear of damaging the machine.

As I said it's the first time this has happened - my Pioneer can usually be relied on to play most DVDs.
Prophet Hero : yes , from around episodes 5 and 6 it stops playing and blocks /becomes jerky in my Pioneer 656

The same thing happens to me. so it's not like i got a defective DVD Sad This batch just won't play well at least in my Pioneer (or in yours)

i have been experiencing similar problems in the last episodes (2nd layer) of NOIR FX Sad
Reading about all the troubles you guys are having makes me really happy about my Panasonic purchase for $300. I can load up five discs so I don't have to leave the couch for days on end and not worry about any sort of weirdness playing movies.

My only complaint is how long the player takes to recognize audio CDs and start playing them. Beyond that I couldn't ask for a better machine.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
which panasonic do you have? my f61 loads 5 discs but only cost me $120

but i have to agree, it's a damn good machine and plays anything your throw at it Smile
I've never had any problems playing anything through my PS2 or Toshiba DVD player. Smile