Import Anime Forums

Full Version: DVD players that will definitely play FX?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Any recommendations for any dvd players which will 100% play FX dvds? I already have Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, Phillips(my housemate's) and a Lasonic. They have problems loading some of the FX dvds. I bought an Apex last month after reading some good reviews on this and another website abt it playing 'buggy' FX dvds. However, I was watching X TV series earlier this morning when it refused to continue playing from ep 21 onwards. :mad:
Any recommendations?
Finding a player that will play 100 per cent of all FX discs could be a costly enterprise if it is indeed a viable one at all.

You have access to more DVD players than many people and if they all fail to play FX discs, but play R1s and other HKs perfectly then I'd say the onus is on FX to produce better discs rather than you having to buy a new DVD player.

Alternatively, you could wait for the MI Perfect versions (although judging by GTO and His and Her Circumstances they're no longer straight FX rips).
Quote:Originally posted by Japschin
I bought an Apex last month after reading some good reviews on this and another website abt it playing 'buggy' FX dvds. However, I was watching X TV series earlier this morning when it refused to continue playing from ep 21 onwards. :mad:
Any recommendations?

Just out of curiousity, did it also do the same thing on a computer DVD player? In which case that means the disc is usually defective... I've had some trouble playing some disks in my Panasonic, but usually no trouble at all with our Apex DVD player, now if I also have trouble on the Apex, then it usually won't work in the computer DVD player either and is a bad disk...
well if you're looking for a new dvd player i recently got a panasonic dvd-f61 five disc changer to replace my old pioneer 503c. it's played everything i've thrown at it, including a couple fx discs (masamune shirow movie collection) that would only play on my philips dvd-724. plus it's nice being able to load up 5 discs and not have to get up to change discs, especially on vcds/svcds where you can set it to automatically change at the end of the disc Big Grin
I just went out to buy another one half an hour ago. Supposed to play HK/FX dvds. Heheh dunno yet coz havn't hooked it up. Will post later abt the results.
I bought a Momitsu online. Read 99.9% positive reviews on it. Supposed to be region free with DVI or sth like that. Waiting for it to arrive from the distributor in Taiwan (machine is made in Japan though).
Thanks for all the help.
I will post back on whether the new dvd player plays that dvd. If it doesn't, then the dvd is definitely faulty. eheheh
Thanks again!Big Grin
Daewoo...
It was really cheap, and it played everything under the sun. The only problem we encountered was we played a burned DVD and it...umm...fried the DVD player. So as long as you are not going to be putting burned DVDs in there, it's the best DVD player I've encountered yet!
my friend has a 2000 dollar DENON DVD player, i should ask him to run some tests on some of the defective dvds that I've received to see if it would play them, but even if it does, that player is not a viable solution with that price tag heh
$2000?
Hehehe JJ, your friend's DVD player SHOULD better play all sort of dvds considering the price he paid for it.
Sometimes I just wonder how is it that the same model wouldn't play the same dvd.
When I first bought the Berserk (FX), I could only watched till ep 5 and then I would get error msg and DVD #2 and 3 won't even load. However, I tested on an identical dvd player which my friend had, it actually loaded up and played. Just tested on whether the dvd loads. Did not check whether it played fine throughout.
Thanks for the help everyone!
JJ, will PM you later to see whether I need a replacement dvd. Maybe it will load on the new one I bought earlier. However, it didn't load on my dvd-rom though ---"No dvd in the drive" or sth like that msg.
yea his player plays everything, SACDs too which is main thing for him, he's an audio junkie heh

sure, keep me updated on the issue.
Heh....the new dvd player did load the dvd up with "vrooo vrooo vrooo vrooo vrooo" sounds. Took abt 30 seconds for the menu to even show up. But eps 21 to 24 are all messed up. From the opening of ep 21 to the end of 24, pixelations appeared throughout the episodes. The pictures froze every 1 or 2 seconds. Not even a single decent scene which you could actually hear what the characters are talking about. Get what I mean? :confused: This dvd, I couldn't even fast forward or skip to another scene coz it froze up. I tried to watch the last few episodes on m 65 inch tv......wanted to kick the tv so bad...the problems ARE enlarged on it!!!
I tried other dvds (R1s and HKs), no pixelations or freezing. I didn't watch the shows throughout, just fast forwarded.
JJ, guess I'll have to send it back to you for a replacement dvd.
Thanks
I would have to second the suggestion of Daewoo. Mine works great thus far. Hopefully it continues that way.Smile
Actually, I heard that the Liteon 2001 is really really good. So good and easy to hack that the manufacturer stopped making it. Big Grin This model's usual retail is only about $159. But coz it's already out of production, all the places which still have stock are selling it for $350++. :o
The 2002 model is pretty good too. Heh...coz of FX dvds, I've already bought 6 dvd players + 1 on the way. 1 will definitely be able to play the dvd which the others can't.
Not sure whether I'm going to get this Liteon. I'll wait till the 7th to arrive before deciding.
At the rate you are going with dvd players you might as well just buy official dvds. 0_0
CrayonShinChan's got a point.
Quote:Originally posted by CrayonShinChan
At the rate you are going with dvd players you might as well just buy official dvds. 0_0

You know, ehehhehehehe I think so too. Just that they cost so much sometimes. :p But I've been having the thought of just sticking to R1s lately. We'll see after I've tested all the 9 sets I've bought during the month of Dec. So far only received 5 sets. Big Grin Kind of sick of tired having to keep buying dvd players, hoping that one will play FX dvds.
Pages: 1 2 3