Worst Anime
I'd have to say that Arjuna well get my pic as my least favorite anime. Aside from making up bogus environmental "facts" (apparently bugs and weeds DON'T kill crops according to Arjuna) it's highly preachy and Ambiguous ("Why oh why are they killing all the bugs?!?!" *Dramatic music*). For instance, we have to watch Arjuna inherit these powers to help the earth, and these gigantic worm like things are wreaking havok. However, upon trying to slay the worm, ther person who bestows the powers onto Arjuna admonishes her, yet never tells her what she needs to do. Totally frustrating.
Ok... we've been at this thread for a while now and I'm curious as to what makes a series the best or the worst. We obviously have some differing opinions on what the best and worst series actually are.

How important is the quality of the animation? Is this tied to how old a particular series may be?

How important is the character design?

Do the story arcs have to be original and what sort of depth are we looking at?

Does the genre come into consideration? Are we trying to hold something designed for kids up to the same standards as a more mature anime? Is it fair to call something one of the worst anime ever made just because you don't like the genre it falls into?

Can strength in one area outweigh all other areas and either raise or lower the series above or below the sum of the parts?

Again, I'm interested in finding out why people rave or rant for a particular series. Just saying something is awesome or lame doesn't give me any insight into why you feel that way about it.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
Quote:Originally posted by dvd_master
Have you tried Utena TV, OOC? The movie isn't that good at all unless you've seen the TV shows. If not, buy the R1 rip when it gets out in a month and try it, it is FAR better then the movie.

Yeah, I rented the 1st disc. While it was somewhat better than the movie version, I still didn't like it much.

As for Zagattos questions. Let's see. I would have to say that the most important thing is storyline or plot. I mean nice graphics can help, but you're just looking at pretty pictures if there's no story behind it. Berserk didn't have the best graphics in the world, but it's very popular due to the fact that it has an awesome story behind it.

As for what types of stuff I personally like. I like stuff that has some action/adventure with some comedy mixed in. Something like Bebop is an excellent example. Great storyline, has action, and keeps it lighthearted at times as well. But something like Full Metal Panic or Rurouni Kenshin or You're Under Arrest are all also very good examples IMO.

But I can like stuff even if it doesn't have comedic elements in it if the story is good enough. Good examples of this would be Berserk, Crest of the Stars or VHD Bloodlust.

I hate preachy stuff. Like Kakomu was saying with Arjuna. Don't preach to me about the earth and destroying it and crap. I don't watch anime because I want to hear the creator of the series to preach at me. I watch anime for some lighthearted entertainment, not to learn stuff that the director feels like teaching me.
Hehe, not a fan of Arjuna either, the show tries to make you feel guilty for wearing pants or taking a shit in the toilet.

Characters are very important to me, a show needs to have interesting characters and good balance between their personalities. Storyline is important but I don't mind fillers episodes if there isn't too many of them and if they are entertaining. Genres I like are romance and comedy, don't really like preachy and overly philosophical stuff, especially if they don't go anywhere story wise. Mecha I don't mind but not when the mechs are at the center of the show, I also don't like guys fighting is super suits shows.

Well sometimes a show just plain ol'sucks. Crappy characters, stupid story and bad writing. If 50 people watch 48 will say it sucked.

There's a difference in me not liking a show and it just being a bad show. I might not like the genre or the pacing but some other people will enjoy the show for that very reason so I won't say it was a bad series, I just didn't like it.

Sometimes high expectations can ruin a show, Ninja Scroll TV for example, was really looking forward to it and it didn't meet up to my standards

This thread has made me remember some crappy shows that I had forced myself to forget, luckily both of them were very short.
Apocalyse Zero, cheezy fighting, story? what story? The villains were the most vile things ever, I don't want to see a guy in a tacky suit fight fat perverted women or a some old dick monster.

I''s OVA
If you read the manga you'll be severely disappointed with it as the character designs are not as good as the manga and it doesn't add nothing to it. It's like they took the characters of the mang and put them in some idiotic situation.

See Battle Angel to find out how to do a very short series based of a manga.

Quote:Originally posted by dvd_master
Most of the newer shows have fantastic animation, but are just so STUPID or boring. Then the classics are older animated so less of a chance of being licensed (Kindaichi)

Yes most of the new shows aren't very good but that was probably the case in the past also, it's just that no one will remember the lousy shows and will rave about the classic ones. We just have so much access to the new shows these days, most of them will eventually be forgetten with time and people in the future will remember the really good ones. X TV, Azumanga Daioh, Hikaru no Go are all examples of excellent new shows. I do agree that the R1 companies are licensing alot of junk theses days, Earth Defender Mao-Chan anyone?
I only saw the first ep of Arjuna and said to myself.."No More."

As far as greatness in a Show goes. I think if it has a Manga you should read it and watch the show. You get (for most cases) the full experience in the book. The show is a nice additive. Like for me Berserk is the GREATEST anime I will have ever seen. After reading the manga, it is quite a steaming pile in comparison. But I still say it's the best Show ever, even after seeing what was DRAMATICALLY changed. Exceptions to the Manga is better rule (for me) are...Nadesico. The manga and the show were released coinside to each other. Asamiya had his manga going and at the sam time was helping with the anime. He gave insight on what should be done to parts of the anime as to what he was creating in the comic because at a few points the anime was ahead of the manga. So if you quote one thing from the Anime and it's different in the manga, well neither is wrong. They are both indeed correct. If you wish to read the interview with Asamiya you should get the Nadesico graphic novels. I have them and it's one of my favorite Anime/Manga series' to date!

What makes a great show for me though is character development, story, and the overall flow of a show. Animation and art quality are a plus but do not make a show great. Just like games...graphics aren't everything.
- The Original Lord Of Darkness -
"Ahh The Murthless Laugh of the Damned"
Quote:Originally posted by matthewmalay

There's a difference in me not liking a show and it just being a bad show. I might not like the genre or the pacing but some other people will enjoy the show for that very reason so I won't it was a bad series, just didn't like it.

That's like me with .hack or Lain. I'm sure alot of people liked them and they might have had some redeeming qualities, but they were just way too slow paced for my taste. so I can't call them bad anime or anything. They just weren't for me.
Yup, yup.

It's usually does kind of shows that have the most loyal and rabid fans. Either you love it or hate it, no middle. If someone tried to make a show that would appeal to the tastes of every anime fan it probably wouldn't be very good and be forgotten quickly.
I'm trying to think of what makes an anime bad. Stupidity is definately one factor. I'm not talking about intentional humor stupidity, but rather a stupid premise, or a stupid character. For a show to be good it has to have a healthy mix of characters, story and pacing. If you have an awesome story, but shitty characters, then you are destined to hate the characters too much to enjoy the anime (ex Shinji from Eva). If you have great characters and story, but the anime just drags, then you are destined to wait around eternally for something to happen (ex Noir, too much filler and junky bad guy of the week episodes, should have been 13 episodes rather than 26. also, after a while the berserk manga just drags on and on, no real sense of pace). If you have awesome characters, but a crappy story, then you are going to get bored rather quickly (EX Tenchi in Tokyo).

now deciding what makes those 3 factors suck or not is all subjective. It's all dependant on how it rubs me.
I say probably the biggest factor in whether or not I like the show would be the story. It has to have an engaging story. Animation and good artwork are only a plus.

I can't believe I wasn't the first to blast Arjuna.Smile That show is garbage. It is the show you use to see how bad others are. You say "This show is bad, but is it Arjuna bad?"Big Grin
?The louder he proclaimed his honor, the faster we counted the spoons.? - Ralph Waldo Emerson
http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/sere...&linkID=36
Story is the most important to me especially the ending. There are so many shows that have a good premise but try to wrap things up in the last 10 minutes which often ruins the show, often because of budget problems. The Japanese seem to be great at thinking up an original story but lack the quality to make it end to everyone's liking. I want all the bad guys dead or defected and no loose ends about why they were doing what they did.
Quote:Originally posted by kakoi_sugoi_yama
I can't believe I wasn't the first to blast Arjuna.Smile That show is garbage. It is the show you use to see how bad others are. You say "This show is bad, but is it Arjuna bad?"Big Grin

i'm still confused at how every online review place would give it a good grade. I mean, I never really trust the sites, but the mere fact that I couldn't find a bad review just sorta added insult to injury.
I also agree with you guys on Arjuna. Is it Arjuna bad is a nice scale to use. On a scale of Arjuna to Berserk I give (hypothetical anime) an Arjuna...man did (said anime) suck!!! Wow I like this scale already. I can't wait to use it!
- The Original Lord Of Darkness -
"Ahh The Murthless Laugh of the Damned"
I haven't watched many animes that are Arjuna bad :p
Quote:Originally posted by kakomu
I haven't watched many animes that are Arjuna bad :p

I have. Try Trouble Chocolate and then get back to me. That show had absolutely no redeeming qualities that I could find.
I can just see sales of Arjuna going through the roof because everybody has to have a copy for a base point reference with their anime critiques. It?s hard to use a scale when you haven?t seen the lowest point.

It?s like those horrible Noir subtitles from whichever set had those really bad ones? you know what I?m talking about, changing names, dropped lines, really bad timing problems, and hideous Engrish to hold it all together. That?s my base line for subtitles and I still haven?t seen anything nearly as bad.

Now I have to watch Arjuna just so I can know what a truly bad anime is? great? I can hardly wait?
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.