Why Buy Hk?
Quote:Originally posted by Suzakuseikun
Steve, it's an opinion thread, no one is right. Get that into your head.

Copying R1's are wrong man. It's illegal and against the law. There is no opinion in that. C'mon, I'd expect you to think of that.
Steve_the_Talking_Pie: Hampsters Bumpin' and Grindin' Since '99.

Region 1: DVD Collection
Quote:Originally posted by Steve_the_Talking_Pie
Copying R1's are wrong man. It's illegal and against the law. There is no opinion in that. C'mon, I'd expect you to think of that.

Fansubbing is illegal too, but people still do it. Copying CDs is illegal too, and people do it. Driving 2 miles over the speed limit is illegal too, and people still do it. If you spit on the sidewalk, it's illegal [littering with human body waste].

Are you telling me you follow all these? You've never broken a law in your life? You don't copy CDs? Don't download music?
[Image: ShinnSig.jpg]
[ #Uke-Fansubs current projects: Gundam SEED Destiny ]
My car has a V4 engine and I live in the city. I can't speed.

My hard drive is pretty clean, only thing I have on here is digisubs, and MP3 of CDs I have (CDs that were scratched).

Only time I really spit is in football. It's an open area where I have dirt in my mouth or mucus from dehydration. Smile

For JJ........

Your logic doesn't work. Ok the Big Mac thing. My diet choice is a different immoral than stealing licensed material. There is no law banning people from eating fatty foods,though there are laws against copying illegal material. With your Big Mac logic, I could say people shouldn't play football (or hockey, I know you watch it) because in the game you definitely want to hurt other people. That's immoral. Since there is no law against it therefore it's ok.

The Levis thing, they don't have a monopoly on pants or anything. Let's face facts. Your mother payed for the pant material and put her own work into it. Therefore it's ok in the eyes of the law. Unless your mother put good time into slapping the Levis name on the pants and started selling them. The R1 rips aren't like Mom's pants because she's going off a basic design.....pants, she is not copying any known work. R1 rips are simply copying the work and selling them. They are so completely different, there is no way to compare them.

I just wanted to point that out for everyone.

Guess what, Matt Greenfield has a family too. So does Robert Woodhead. Smile

My hard drive is pretty clean, only thing I have on here is digisubs, and MP3 of CDs I have (CDs that were scratched).

Digisubs are illegal. That's my point. Now you're just being hypocritical.
Hmm... I guess I didnt phrase my BigMac comment well... my point is if u are such an advacate whats right then why dont u join some "Feed the children" charity movement, sacrifice your dinner to feed some children, donate your anime money to their cause?

My point is do what you preach, u never responded at how big your MP3 collection was... see my point now?

the pants thing... my point is... if i wasnt gonna buy R1 to begin with, how can you say that R1 company is hurt by me buying HK dvd set... we are not arguing weather its legal or not... we are arguing here why people buy it etc etc etc... so my point is...

sigh...
Digisubs are illegal. That's my point. Now you're just being hypocritical.

They are illegal yes. Do the Japanese rights holders care? No. They don't bother with it. R1 companies aren't opposed to it. An R1 rip encroaches on R1 license holders. Fansubbers do their own work. HK productions which rip Region 1 DVDs do no original work. It's not their's. I don't hate HK sets that are originally subbed by HK companies, R1 rips get to me after a while.

I answered your Mp3 collection. I have no illegal Mp3 or Mpegs on my computer. I have no p2p software either.

Your Big Mac comment still makes no sense. I need to eat even if others are starving. I give money whenever possible. I give money to charities at church, I volunteer time with young inner-city kids, I work other charity jobs. I recently bought a Gorilla to protect it from being poached in Africa. I gave to a 9/11 Fund for families. I always give money to non-profit organizations. Turn it back on everybody else. Should HK Buyers not give money?

When we ask people why they buy HKs, this clearly is a chance for me to say why you shouldn't. If I buy the R1's and you buy the HK, they lose money that you would have given them. Plain and simple.

Then get off your soapbox and don't buy HKs. Simple as that.

When we ask people why they buy HKs, this clearly is a chance for me to say why you shouldn't. If I buy the R1's and you buy the HK, they lose money that you would have given them. Plain and simple.

No they don't lose money because i wouldn't of given them my money in the first place.. There are series that i will get that i basically experiment on.. See how i like them.. If i do then i will get R1' if i don't no hard lost only a little of my money gone and the R1 company's wouldn't of gotten it no matter what.. So that excuse is BS if i am concerned.. Its like the RIAA complaining that filesharing is whats making Cd sales go down.. but they don't like to see the true Side and Reports done that Counter that.. but i wont get into that here..
Schultz, you're right and wrong. You might not have given them money for that particular set anyways. But someone else might have, but they saw the HK's and went the cheapy route. I'm sure there's some HK series you own that you might have eventually bought R1 if the HK's had not been around. HK's basically give us an alternative that we really shouldn't have. It does hurt the R1 companies to some extent. Because there are people out tehre that buy nothing but rips, that might've bought some R1's if the rips weren't so readily accessible.

Don't get me wrong. I don't really care either way what someone wants to purchase. I'm just trying to point out a flaw in that argument.
Thanks Vicious. Now I don't have to type it. Smile

In short, I don't hate HK DVDs. Many sets help me to see series that aren't in America. Sets like Kodomo No Omocha, Fist of the North Star, Touch, H2, and Dog of Flanders will all find a home on my shelves.

With R1 rips, I really start to hate them. They are unethical but oh well, my rants won't stop anything. I know that. I agree spending $21 on Lain can be nice when the series seems funky and the R1 Company should have squeezed it on 3 discs.

I guess what I need to say, everybody should take a step back from demanding so many R1 Rips of series. Go out, spend some money on R1's. Support the companies. If there aren't any R1's sold then there can't be any rips. Choose your favorite series, like your Top Ten and buy the R1's. Also when you buy a Bandai rip, show that company some love and pick up another release from them so they can't see a little of their loses.

I still stand by my original thoughts.

Steve

i have a lot of hk, and i have almost as many r1 releases.

i got the noir mi set, and because i like the series i buying the r1 releases of it.

it's true that they are illegal, but it's better to check them out first then spent your money on something you probably won't like.

this will probably hurt the r1 company, but it doesn't hurt me and that's all i care about
Well, time for me to jump in, sinds this topic is overrun by some die hard R1 buyers/lovers (steve? Wink ). Most HK buyers don't even bother posting in topic's like these, for this reason alone ... They are fed up with people like that trying to stuff a guild trip up there ass ...

Why do I buy HK DVD's ... for one reason alone: PRICE!!!

I'm your average person, I'm not some nut who thinks "we need to support R1 company's", while those same company's STILL have a fucking 3 a 4 eps / dvd release rate. And DON'T you DARE bullshit use that it's not true, take a freaking look at the DVD releases lists (running time).

232 Releases Total:
152 release are 4 eps or less / dvd ( 61 dvd with 3 eps, 68 with 4 eps, 31 who i'm not sure of ( between 3 & 4 eps time)).
28 are 5 eps / dvd
22 are 6 eps / dvd
30 are box sets containing those dvd's ( I've counted all releases 200+min as box sets ).

This is ofcourse not counting several title's like Initial D who have dual releases ( 3 eps dub / 3 eps dubbed, who they advertise as 150min but are in reality 75 min).

66% of this & next years releases are 4 eps or less / dvd ...

Hmmmmm ... What??? Don't like the nr's ... you can check them yourselves...

They can pack 7 eps / dvd widout any compression loss, why don't they do that... easy .. it's better to milk the customers ...

Not lets NOT get started with price's he ... O yea, there are some sweet deals, IF you can find them.

These deal's in general are:

1. Useless for European/Asian/African buyers who have high transport costs & custom ( lets see if you like a 21% + 3.5% extra cost on your product + about a 20% transport price ).
2. A lot of those deals are only for US buyers sinds a lot of those shops with the mega deals are US based (sorry, ALL of them).

Shure, those deals are good is you are a US customer, but for the rest of the world, forget it (unless you are loaded with money, but then again, then price doesn't matter) ...

Now where does that leave the rest of the world, they depend on some R2 company's who are also milking the crap out of the releases (and who are in several cases only dubbed in the local language or subbed in that language, so even IF lets say a German company releases a good set, widout English subs, you are nothing with it in the nederlands, Belgium, France etc. (the surrounding country's)). O yea, 25 Euro / dvd are normal price's here, and if you think there is a lot of choice, forget it baby ... thanks to the splintered country language's (and the daim US company's of holding the English subed rights), making Anime a hard thing to get ...

Let's compare a general buying price ... you all heared the math, here it's again ... 25 eps serie:

HK: 3 dvd ( 9/8/8 ) * 10$ ( standard price of good HK shops - note the bigger one's now even sell at 8$) = 30$
R1: 6 dvd's ( 5/4/4/4/4/4 ) * 25$ (again, I'm generous with the price who is not uncommon at 29$ and dvd sets of 7 for 25 eps ) = 150$

Hmmmm ... 30$ ... 150$ ...

And I'm not using my own buying price's who range from 7$ (FX) to 4.5$ ( MAC/AC/MI ), you can get those price's with ease.

Shure, there are always exception's to the rule ... I love it when people come of with "why do you buy bootlegs, xxx title over here is not so expensive like what you claim" ... I just love it ... But they always forget they are talking about exception's or set's that are expensive to buy & even more to import.

Also, this argument that every HK dvd you buy, is one less R1 sold. ROFL ... I love they way some people think ( or are brainwashed ) like the RIAA ... "o wait, xxx HK dvd's are soled, so that's xxx legal dvd's less soled, so that's xxx * 25$ = xxx$ loss for the industries". Bullshit!! Thats called creative calculating (and thinking), making things look worse/bader then they are. Ofcourse they forget that the xxx HK are 5* cheaper then the legal stuff, and they also forget that widout those HK a lot of people won't bother buying dvd's, and again, they also forget, that there are HK dvd buyers who buy them, and then buy the R1's thanks to the HK dvd's ... but helase, who am I to say all this .. I'm a antichrist ... a sinner ... yes, I buy HK dvd's, do I need to feel bad about it, nowp, I don't give a crap how I need to feel about, so do all people. I'm in it for the cheap price's, just like every freaking person on this planet and I don't give a rats ass about the R1 Company's, they won't make a buck out of me now, and they won't even if they reduce HK dvd production to 0.

Now these are the facts of life, you don't like them, then get your sorry ass of this board, and go complain in the legal forum's how bad those HK dvd buyers are Wink and leave us the crap alone ... you don't see us preaching on the legal forum's how you r1 buyers need to be ashamed of yourselves for getting ripped off ...

End of the case for me ... Jesus, how I hate topic's like these (and even more how the same topic in mirror on a legal forum will get your ass banned for speaking the 'HK dvd' word - Looks like those HK dvd forum's are to nice to people Wink ).

I'm off to bed ... you don't like what I say, fine, I don't what you (general) say in regards. Then stop attacking people or trying to change people there mind, you guy's are like a bunch of religion fanatics ... we don't want your religion here ...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where do you buy your HK anime? jarjar111 42 14,204 01-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Last Post: jarjar111
  Where To Buy HK dvd's? ArkaidR 31 12,260 08-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Last Post: rav96