Share your knowledge about the upcoming Playstation Portable
Quote:Originally posted by Prophet Hero
Unless the situation has reversed Microsoft is losing money for every XBOX sold.

That's been the norm for most game companies. As far as I can tell, no console company sells their systems at or below cost of the creation of the system. They hope to achieve money through software sales. XBox woes are only because the games aren't selling that much (Frankly none of the games for either XBox, PS2 or GameCube look that great to me).

As for the Portable systems, I can't see how they're going to make their system portable AND have 3d games. THe heat generated by the supposed 3d card and their processor is going to get immensley hot if it's going to be 10x more powerful than the Playstation, especially considering early playstations got so hot that they would fry their own chipsets (due to Sony's negligence, just like their negligence on PS2 contruction). I think this system has VirtualBoy catastrophe written all over it. The main problem I see with competing consoles against the GameBoy is the bigger is better creedo all companies go with it. That and trying to make their system as powerful or just like a computer. This fails miserably because not only are the systems not very portable (the damn Game Gear was bigger than most novels I read when I played it), they also are full of gimmicks and fall flat on their face when the company realizes it was a bad idea to market something so hard to maintain.

I just want to point out some of the technical flaws I can think of. Their insistance to use Mini-DVD devices is a major flaw. Think about it, DVDs spin much faster than CDs, and DVDs running at 1x isn't even enough to run a DVD at regular speed. So they're either stuck with running a DVD REALLY slowly (meaning one of the most irritable loading experiences you'll ever encounter) or you'll have a DVD Running crazy fast in the palm of your hands (which means a LOT of skipping when you're on a bumpy ride). I doubt they can make the CD player portion any slimmer than most cdplayers unless they want to run at 1x speed, otherwise it's going to be fairly thick. Otherwise, it's gonna be fairly thick, not to mention having to find a place to mount the processors, and the screen. As I mentioned before, the single PS1 processor got really hot, every system afterwards has a fan mounted into it to keep it cool for long game sessions). This system will have DUAL processors, running FASTER (Thus hotter). This fan will be pretty damn bulky inside a portable system.

In the end, my conclusion is that the system is going to be too large to be considered very portable and will be far and above too expensive for the casual gamers (ie the ideal market to push your system to).
Quote:Originally posted by kakomu
That's been the norm for most game companies. As far as I can tell, no console company sells their systems at or below cost of the creation of the system. They hope to achieve money through software sales. XBox woes are only because the games aren't selling that much (Frankly none of the games for either XBox, PS2 or GameCube look that great to me).
well the Xbox loses more then what all the other systems do..I mean it has a full fledge Computer for $200..

Quote:Originally posted by kakomu
In the end, my conclusion is that the system is going to be too large to be considered very portable and will be far and above too expensive for the casual gamers (ie the ideal market to push your system to).

I agree with that statement fully..
I'm really surprised that someone has the balls to go head to head with the Gameboy. It holds nearly 100% of the handheld market. There is no way someone is going to loosen that strangle-hold.
?The louder he proclaimed his honor, the faster we counted the spoons.? - Ralph Waldo Emerson
http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/sere...&linkID=36
No one has survived because they all keep taking the approach that has failed so many times before...except Neo Geo Pocket. THat was All SNK's fault. If some company made competent hardware cheaply (just like the gameboy), you'd find it to be a much more formidable foe than any of the previous challengers.
Yeah, Nintendo has had a monopoly for far too long. It's time for someone else to enter the game.
Quote:Originally posted by Robojack
Yeah, Nintendo has had a monopoly for far too long.

For a very good reason as Kak mentioned.
Quote:Originally posted by Robojack
Yeah, Nintendo has had a monopoly for far too long. It's time for someone else to enter the game.

I don't think they have had it too long.. And they haven't done bad things games are priced decently even still being cartriges.. but heck in japan they have had Competition but they are still winning.. WonderSwan which is cool because all the final fantasy's from the NES where released onto it..
Yeah the Ol' Swan has always been kicking steady in Japan. If Sony has any brains behind this handheld competition, they, I hope, have taken notes from both the Swan and the big N on what to do and not do for a good Handheld system to work and be successful. N'Gage is Ncredibly pathetic, and even Korea has a handheld out too. It by the way looks REALLY SWEET! I hope Sony knows what they're doing and don't make a useless machine like Billy boy did with the Crap Box.
And speaking of assorted Crap...The Ngage has the following which I am taking straight out of GMR, a full page Ad which states the following...

In Game 3d Graphics
MP3 player
Built in Phone
and Game Card Titles from top publishers Bluetooth Technology

That's right ...Game CARDS...from Top publishers, Bluetooth Technologies...HAS ANYONE HERE EVER HEARD OF THIS COMPANY????If they are a top publisher, how come I have NEVER heard of them????

Nokia really makes me look forward to Sonys new little system in comparison.
- The Original Lord Of Darkness -
"Ahh The Murthless Laugh of the Damned"
I hope that they make a machine that is enjoyable. I wonder how they are going to solve the problem of the heat that it is going to put off, without making the thing weigh nine pounds.:mad: There is nothing worse that a clunky "handheld".
?The louder he proclaimed his honor, the faster we counted the spoons.? - Ralph Waldo Emerson
http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/sere...&linkID=36
Quote:Originally posted by DARK OSAMU
HAS ANYONE HERE EVER HEARD OF THIS COMPANY????If they are a top publisher, how come I have NEVER heard of them????

Bluetooth is a company that made infrared ports and specific motherboard parts for Chaintech or Gigabyte or whichever motherboard has the bluetooth stuff in it.
The CDs to be used with this are housed in a casing which is then inserted into the game. I have images in my Game Informer magazine. I'm too frickin' lazy to scan them, though, so if you want to see them, buy the magazine.
[Image: ShinnSig.jpg]
[ #Uke-Fansubs current projects: Gundam SEED Destiny ]
Dunno about the rest of you, but upon reading stuff like this, it just reeks of VirtualBoy...
It's just you.
[Image: ShinnSig.jpg]
[ #Uke-Fansubs current projects: Gundam SEED Destiny ]
Quote:Originally posted by Suzakuseikun
The CDs to be used with this are housed in a casing which is then inserted into the game. I have images in my Game Informer magazine. I'm too frickin' lazy to scan them, though, so if you want to see them, buy the magazine.

Are you sure they weren't trying to think of what it would look like because i have read a magizine where they tried to draw it.. Because last i knew sony hasn't released any pics of it at all.. Just some specs.. they don't even have a working prototype yet.. Hence why they are going to give software emulation for game company's to test there games on in Aug.. so they have something to work on before they can get one to really work with..
Quote:Originally posted by Schultz
Are you sure they weren't trying to think of what it would look like because i have read a magizine where they tried to draw it.. Because last i knew sony hasn't released any pics of it at all.. Just some specs.. they don't even have a working prototype yet.. Hence why they are going to give software emulation for game company's to test there games on in Aug.. so they have something to work on before they can get one to really work with..

True, there is no prototype of the machine yet, but it seems that the Universal Media Disc has already been designed: http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default...pagetype=2