Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Share your knowledge about the upcoming Playstation Portable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I just wanted to know what have you read or heard about the upcoming Playstation Portable. What do you know about it? Let's share the knowledge!
It will use 1.8gig Mini-DVD's
4" Screen (or around there i can't exactly remember think its widescreen also)
Wireless adapter on it 802.11b i think is the model.
Will retail for $199 (way to expensive)

i won't buy one..

Square is talking about creating a Final Fantasy VII continuation for the PSP only.. <- that is going to make me buy one and then turn around and sell it when i am done with it. read bunch more but that is all i can remember..
Also nintendo is going to do another upgrade to there Gameboy to compete with PSP .. I still think Nintendo will win this one.. Hell this last quater the largest selling unit was the Gameboy Advance.. even over Ps2!
Man its about time, they've been working on this thing since 1997. I just hope they make this portable version much durable then their crappy Home systems.
At first all gaming consoles are expensive. Remember the PS2 and the Xbox at first the cost of both was at $500, then time pass. Look at the price now. Patience, for all good things come to those who waits.
All I know is that the above info is right and that not even E3 knows what the thing looks like!!! WTF!?!?!?! It's a very secret operation sony has in production.
Quote:Originally posted by Kevil
At first all gaming consoles are expensive. Remember the PS2 and the Xbox at first the cost of both was at $500, then time pass. Look at the price now. Patience, for all good things come to those who waits.

Hehe a little over exageration. Ps2 came out at $300 its never been more then that.. And thats where the X-box came out at. The only thing that i know which was expensive was the Sega Saturn until the playstation came out.

Also other things i just read on the Psp is that it will incoperate two processor's.. It will have a 3d card.. and the mini-disc's that they are new optical some storage.. But supposdly its suppose to be like 10times more powerful then the Playstation.. Also other info is Sony is suppose to be giving an emulator for the computer so that developers can start working on games for it in Augest so they can have a bunch ready for the launch in fall 2004.
Quote:Originally posted by Schultz
Hehe a little over exageration. Ps2 came out at $300 its never been more then that.. And thats where the X-box came out at. The only thing that i know which was expensive was the Sega Saturn until the playstation came out.

Also other things i just read on the Psp is that it will incoperate two processor's.. It will have a 3d card.. and the mini-disc's that they are new optical some storage.. But supposdly its suppose to be like 10times more powerful then the Playstation.. Also other info is Sony is suppose to be giving an emulator for the computer so that developers can start working on games for it in Augest so they can have a bunch ready for the launch in fall 2004.

Sounds expensive. Could Sony be opting for an opposite approach to Nintendo, i.e. cheap hardware, expensive games? It'd be tough to strike middle ground, but I suppose if any company can it would be Sony.

It's got to be better than Nokia with its mobile phone/handheld N-Gage. The company slated the GBA as being for kids saying that the N-Gage was for the more lucrative 20 to 25-year-old market. I'm just beyond that age bracket but would rather have my 'kiddie' GBA than have to spend £299 (US$480) to be able to call my friends and play Tomb Raider on the train.

Here's a link to an article detailing the PSP's specs: http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default...pagetype=2
Quote:Originally posted by Prophet Hero
It's got to be better than Nokia with its mobile phone/handheld N-Gage. The company slated the GBA as being for kids saying that the N-Gage was for the more lucrative 20 to 25-year-old market. I'm just beyond that age bracket but would rather have my 'kiddie' GBA than have to spend £299 (US$480) to be able to call my friends and play Tomb Raider on the train.

Also don't forget that to change the game in a N-Gage you have to take your battery pack out.. ;o)
Quote:Also don't forget that to change the game in a N-Gage you have to take your battery pack out.. ;o)

I wonder who told you that....Big Grin

Anyways yes Sony is looking into paying Square to make FF VII 2
is it worth 200 dollars on a system that is set up for failure... Hell look at the N-gage it won't even come into the market purly as a gameing device it has a gimic that when put this way spells it's own doom...

Me and one of the lucrative 20 to 25-year-old market valley boy's get on to a plane. Now after we reach are crusing alttuitde I take out my GBA SP and he wips outhis N-gage 10 minutes late the Flight Attendent comes by and says wow my Son has one of those SP he plays it all the time. Then looks at Valley Boy and ask is that a cell phone sir... I'm sorry you will have turn it off for the remainder of are flight... Oh and the flight from Okinawa to Seattle is 12 hours... You tell me which one you would want...

Oh and back on point the PSP microsoft spent 2 years looking into the handheld market and came to the conclusion... No room for a new system compared to the huge library the the Big N has...
If Bill Gates won't jump in those waters why should Sony...
Quote:Originally posted by morgorath

Oh and back on point the PSP microsoft spent 2 years looking into the handheld market and came to the conclusion... No room for a new system compared to the huge library the the Big N has...
If Bill Gates won't jump in those waters why should Sony...

Unless the situation has reversed Microsoft is losing money for every XBOX sold. The recently released sales figures for Japan aren't very pretty either, so Bill Gates' research into the console market isn't exactly watertight (Last I heard Microsoft is releasing western games - without localisation - under a World Collection moniker to boost Japanese interest).

I'm no fanboy, but if any one company can mount even a semi-respectable challenge to Nintendo's dominance of the handheld market it's Sony.
Sony can look into paying Square all they want, but the official quote from the director of Squaresoft was "I'd love to make a sequel to VII, we all would, because almost the entire company was involved on it. BUT, if we do make it and it flops, we wont be able to live with outselves. Let's see how X-2 does first."

And X-2 flopped pretty badly.
I have all the hope in the world for Sony, but I don't see the PSP working to well.

And as for any FF-2 games, I'm against them 100%. Final Fantasy games should never have a continueing. & they shouldn't have called the on-line game FF11.

But of course if the PSP is a hit, & they make a FF7-2 I guess I'll either half to get off my lazy butt, work, then cash in my values & buy the junk, or download a rom...
Technically it'd be an ISO, not a ROM, and that's if they could even break the compression.
I know what a ROM is, & I know ISO is normally used to refer to PSOne games & the sort, but what do they stand for/mean, & what not?
Quote:Originally posted by Batz Kage
I know what a ROM is, & I know ISO is normally used to refer to PSOne games & the sort, but what do they stand for/mean, & what not?

ROM = Read Only Memory which is what Cartriges are..
ISO is just the standard Cd-rom filesystem.. So basically its juat a image of the cdrom and to be exact iso-9660 is standardization for it...

And on another note.. Some people have already broken the Gamecubes method of having the games.. And have modded the gamecube so that you can play it.. But they haven't released anything yet.. since nintendo did that huge bust about copy'ing games in Tawain or somewhere like that..

And back on subject.. After looking at the specs.. This system has to be pretty huge kinda like the Lynx. which is going to make it awkward IMHO.. I still think Gameboy wont' lose. .I mean back in the same it still beat out teh Sega Nomad, Atari Lynx which they all had color screens and where alot better then Gameboy but it still one with only its 4 shades of grey.
Pages: 1 2 3 4