Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips.
I hope more are out soon, I will buy R1s but for long series like ranma and GTO, R1 rip is the only way to go! with my budget anyway Confusedweatdrop:
Live life the way you want to, but one day, you might not wake up, and we all know why......
THERE ARE MAD KILLERS OUT THERE!!!

[Image: optimisticox.jpg]
Quote:Originally posted by "Vance"

I'll seriously by strictly R1's when they retail their DVDs at $17-$20, which is what pretty much every other reasonable DVD on the planet costs. When I can find R1's for this reasonable or close and I want the series then I'll pick them up (I grabbed Cowboy Bebop R1's for $100, and the first 3 dvds of excel saga for $50.) As for going down to Media Play or Suncoast and picking up Escaflowne for $240, forget it.

That's how much I got most of my discs for. You can usually find them around that price if you buy online.
I wrote this to a fan on Animeniacs.com forum. He insisted that downloading and H K was the way to go.

quote="YaKuZa"]Yeah, but whats the point in spending $30 on buying a 3-4 episode dvd?? The japanese get to watch it for free and if they want tehy can record it so FUCK SUPPORT[/quote]

Ahhhhh do some research will you before making such a stupid statement. R2 DVDs are so expensive. A Chobits disc that contains 2 episodes for $60. Likewise the higher end series like Yu Yu Hakusho, Fist of the North Star, Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, and Dragon Ball Z have sets that go for $1000.

Hmmmmm we can buy Ranma 1/2 in nice DVD sets with two ways to watch it and we spend what $700 or so, brand new (and we pay for translations). Looks like we do a little better. Oh they can watch it on TV, Noir appeared on TV at 1:15 AM. I'd be in bed a little before that so I can stay awake in school. Also we always end up missing an episode or so while it's on TV. I've missed the last 3 Simpson's episodes on TV and I ama devote fan of the series.

This 3-4 episode bull shit, look at the way things are being done, ADV releases a series with the 1 and 6 discs with 5 episodes, yes the other have 4. SRP comes to $180, look around and you can get it for $90. ADV also releases Perfect Collections which go on the internet for around $50. Also Right Stuff has put so much on His and Her Cirumstances discs, 6 episodes on the first and 5 on the rest. CPM has released a new line of Authentic anime DVDs which go for $20 brand new. AnimEigo has always kept their prices low. Look at Places like Best Buy and I gurantee that you won't be spending $30.

I don't know your age or socio-economic status, so I won't really touch upon this but let me tell you I'm just as young, as anybody on here. I got a thing called a "job". I make minimum wage which is $6.75 an hour. I do get tips, but no "time and a half" on Sundays. I split my pay checks 50-50 in order to pay for college. I still have more than enough for R1 DVDs and the solid HK releases. I don't have a huge collection, maybe 120 DVDs and 280 VHS but it makes me happy enough. Also I'm not spoiled and we actually have mone problems at home. We are far from rich.

Once again, this high and mighty atitude is a load of bull shit. And wouldn't be taken in a lot of other places.

It does hurt companies when that is all you do. Look I loved Bebop and was going to buy it on R1. Series like that are so popular, I think everybody would have shelled out the money for the series on R1 if it wasn't for FX.

I understand the importance of HK DVDs and I'm not saying they are wrong, or illegal. But don't give a stupid atitude in which you want to be some sort of Renegade. Save that for Lorenzo Llamas. I'd like to see you write a statement longer than this which actually makes some sense.
Steve_the_Talking_Pie: Hampsters Bumpin' and Grindin' Since '99.

Region 1: DVD Collection
Actually Steve, I have to agree with you. 6 and 5 episodes per DVD is much more acceptable. The absolute best, and what I think should be standard, is a series on 4 dvds (like sorcerer hunters.)

The ones I absolutely cannot stand though are 8 dvd series like Trigun, Eva, and Escaflowne. 4 on the first and last and 3 on every one in the middle. When you go to 2 episodes a dvd (FLCL) it is plain stupidity.

Lol, the other thing that doesn't help is that I actually prefer gatefolds to regular R1 cases. It's nice to have the series in one cohesive compact little brick. Less shelf space and easier to take around. Of course these new thinpack DVD cases are pretty dope.
o-('-')-o HuG
|)0Y: 1337 5p34k 4n0nyM0u5
"I understand the importance of HK DVDs and I'm not saying they are wrong, or illegal. "

Actually, they are wrong and illegal Tongue
Never catch a falling knife
I don't care how much you say you can afford. I can't afford R1 DVDs, pay for my car, school and live comfortably. R1 DVDs are out of the price range of the regular anime fan and HK DVDs aren't. Regardless of whatever time anime was released at, it was still free. FREE!!!! I don't care if it was shown at 1am, if I wanted to watch it, I would have (and could have given my sleep schedule). We don't get much anime for free here and all anime that is free is on cable (Which I don't have as well), so why should I pay exorbanant prices for a full series?
Quote:I don't care how much you say you can afford. I can't afford R1 DVDs, pay for my car, school and live comfortably. R1 DVDs are out of the price range of the regular anime fan and HK DVDs aren't. Regardless of whatever time anime was released at, it was still free. FREE!!!! I don't care if it was shown at 1am, if I wanted to watch it, I would have (and could have given my sleep schedule). We don't get much anime for free here and all anime that is free is on cable (Which I don't have as well), so why should I pay exorbanant prices for a full series?
You won't hear any arguments from this corner.
Welcome to my world.
I'm actually with Steve, in that I try and buy R1 if at all possible and if they are reasonably priced. I agree FLCL is crap at 2 episodes per disc and so is InuYasha at 3 episodes per disc. Steve's right about being able to get cheap R1's sometimes if you know where to look. I bought the 1st 12 discs of Kenshin for $120 off of EBAY. That's $10 per disc. Slightly more than the HK's, but not anything unreasonable. I bought my KOR and Slayers movies for $6 a piece brand new from Right Stuf. That's cheaper than any HK's of them.

Vance, you're not alone, I like gatefolds much better too.
I know where to get Anime for Cheap. However, in some cases, the cheapest still isn't all that cheap, $17*8 for Blue Gender is still $136. That's still too much for an anime unless I'm lucky enough to find a good deal on ebay, which can be hard sometimes.
True. Noones saying that you have to go out and buy R1's all the time. Myself and I believe Steve as well, were only saying that it's good to support the R1's if possible. Especially if they're competitively priced. That's all. Some people buy nothing but HK's. And that in my opinion is not justifiable and there is no excuse that anyone could give for that because some R1's are almost as affordable as some HK's.
Japanese R2 DVDs are exlensive but so are alot of things in Japan, the cost of living there is very high. If you can't watch a show on TV theres also an invention called a VCR. Also, in Japan you can go to your local video rental place and they will have a huge selection of anime unlike here

I do agree that people should buy R1 when they are competitively priced. I'm a patinet fellow so I don't mind waiting for those Perfect collection boxsets. Hopefully it will encourage the distributors to release more affordable boxsets. One thing I hate is when they released those volume 1+box and they don't release a complete boxset later on or release one that is priced the same as all the individual DVDs like Hellsing. They've even got the nerve to charge extra of a cheap piece of cardboard and they call it an extra
Quote:Originally posted by "matthewmalay"

One thing I hate is when they released those volume 1+box and they don't release a complete boxset later on or release one that is priced the same as all the individual DVDs like Hellsing. They've even got the nerve to charge extra of a cheap piece of cardboard and they call it an extra

Hahaha. I'm with you on that one. I didn't get Berserk as it came out, so I'm hoping that they release it completed in a boxset later on at a cheaper price. I might run out of patience and give in and just buy all of them separately though.
Ok look this is how I look at things and let me put things in percpective for you. I am from the old school the days when you have a buddy who had a buddy who got this VHS tape with the complete first season of Ranma with subtitles... and I would get a 7th generation copy. *old school* Now that we understand that look here...

http://www.uln.com/cgi-bin/vlink/097361569246IE.html
That is 26 episodes *first season* of ST:NG at under $100 bucks. Every other season is at the same price so you get the whole series for $700 pretty good.

http://www.uln.com/cgi-bin/vlink/782009080091IE.html
That is 18 episodes *first season* of Ranma at $72 bucks. If you break it down
your paying $4 an episode for Ranma and just about $3.75 an episode for ST:NG

Now that is good deal for my money... here is my problem...

http://www.uln.com/cgi-bin/vlink/702727013928IE.html
Gawl a great series but if you buy this R1 you are paying $6 an episode for
a grand total of 70 bucks of a 12 episode series. Now look at this

http://www.uln.com/cgi-bin/vlink/702727033520IE.html
The Box set you are paying just under $3 an episode cut in half.

That is the reason I buy HK first I spend $1.50 an episode most of the times
then wait for the Box Set form of R1's from the US dealers. I save money and then use the HK sets as gifts to draww more people into anime.

If you complain about the prices that is your right, but be honest with your self and us on the boards. R1's are the best hands down and the only reason we even deal with HK is beacuse we are cheap and want the whole series as soon as we can get are gruby hands on it.
[Image: slay6.jpg]
I am known as the Red leader of the Ichi Hentai!
I see you use bestprices alot too Morg. I use them, and just recently I've decided to give rightstuf a shot as well. They are better with LE items, plus I like their package tracking system better. I'll have to see how quickly they ship things out though.
Vicious, although I do like best prices, the reason I used them is because they had everything right there plus when you try to prove your point it is best to stick with one company. That way people can't say well i found it cheaper here and what not... One place one price it's all good for those who found it cheaper...

So Right stuff is good to could you post there url...
[Image: slay6.jpg]
I am known as the Red leader of the Ichi Hentai!