Import Anime Forums

Full Version: R1 vs. HK
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I've always read these reviews that say that HK picture quality suffers compared to the originals, but I never noticed it before last night. I've seen my HK Bebop set like 10 times and thought it was fine. But then yesterday, I actually busted out my actual Perfect Sessions and compared the two. There is actually a big diference. Especially in all the CG scenes. There is alot of pixelation (I think that's what it's called) in all the space gate scenes. You can easily notice it if you pause it. I was amazed that I've never noticed this before. Anyways, just wanted to fill you in on my new discovery (which I'm sure everyone else already knew about). Plus this is the only thread that is OO free. I'm sure he'll start a 2 page conversation with somebody on this thread shortly as well.
The bebo perfect set has alot of pixelation, the MI set has better video but horrendous subs.

The HK companies do compress alot of video and their encoding metohds might not be up to par with legit companies but if you watch on a normal TV the differences are pretty hard to notice.

The Ghibli R2 rips have perfect video/audio quality, they're perfect rips, as good or better than R1 official stuff, those are my best quality HK DVDs.
I did watch it on a normal TV. Just usually I sit far away, and this time I was up close. Plus I've never compared the 2 side by side before. But it might not be as noticeable with stuff with older animation or no CG. I'm sure with something like Ranma, you probably can't tell the difference.
Probably, the less action pack stuff won't have much pixelation.

If you really want to compare them both, watch it on a pc monitor because it has a much higher resolution than a normal TV so you notice the defects more.

One thing I dont like about HK DVDs is sometimes (its mostly MI) they put in fake 5.1 sound like in my Love Hina set, all it does make an echo in my back speakers.
Yeah, ovcourse you are gonna notice minor flaws but that is the price you have to pay to pay a lower price. (well that frase was a little wierd :mrgreen: )
Like my Berserk set with it's funny echo. The only thing I didn't like about that set. I agree with mattew. If you put it in your PC and watch you will see alot more differences. :mrgreen:
Yeah, Berserk has alot of echo, the worst was my Macross II, crazy amount of echo but if you turn off your back speakers its less noticeable.

Why dont they just keep it at 2.0 stereo instead.
you just shouldnt look for problems when you dont notice any at first, I even noticed some things on R1s on occation, and now I have learned to ignore minor flaws. :mrgreen:
I notice these problems but dont let them bother me, its not good to nitpick especially with bootlegs
Yeah, cause we are already pirates. :mrgreen: We can't complain too much. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That won't stop me though. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
yeah, everyone here is cheap, so you cant be picky for what you didnt pay for :mrgreen: ....that sounded off, oh well, something along the lines of that :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I still can complain, and you bet I will. :mrgreen:
My now and then, here and there MAC had a some missing lines in the subs, around 1 per episode. Piece of shit MAC. I'm gonna get the R1s now! :mrgreen:
The series is really good, huh? I will probably check into it. I've heard plenty speaking praise of the show. :mrgreen:
Hey, I'm not that cheap. Most of what I own is R1's. This might sound dumb, but sometimes I but the HK's because I like the packaging better. Like with Ranma, I honestly would have bought the R1's if they looked nicer and didn't take up so much damn space. I love the R1 Fushigi Yugi boxsets, so I'm trying to get those instead of the HK's. But if a company tries robbing you, then I buy the HK's as well. Like Viz is charging $25 for 3 episodes of InuYasha. That's like $8 per episode. The max I will pay is $5 per episode. Anything more than that is highway robbery.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6