Import Anime Forums

Full Version: why do some ppl like their anime dubbed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hihi,

I am gonna go ahead and open pandora's box for some much heated discussion, hahaha...

Just wondering why some ppl like their anime dubbed? I've been watching anime for more than 20yrs and I have yet to see one anime, where something doesn't get lost in the dub. I mean, you just can't reproduce the same feelings and emotions that the japanese voice actors put into their work, no matter how good the dub may be..

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers!
I'm not even going to argue as to how would you know what those emotions and feelings are if you don't understand the language. Or what makes you think those dubs could accurately convey what's going on without losing anything in the translation.

I watch dubs because I'm lazy and hate to read while watching TV.
Well.....emotions and feelings are most likely felt the same way in japan as they are here Big Grin So as long as you can Hear the japanese audio you should be able to recognize that feeling and emotion in the actor's voice.

The problem with dubs is that sometimes the english actors fail to grasp the feeling the original japanese actor had while playing the character.
Not all of it of course, there is a lot of anime out there that has been done quite well.

I like dubs for the re-watching of an anime..sometimes while watching things I get up and move about, place my focus elsewhere, or watch while playing a game orusing the computer, so it's nicer if I can hear what's going on, without having to watch the screen at all times to catch what everyone is saying.
I'm going to say this: People complain about bad English dubs. There's a lot of bad Japanese jobs too, but because you speak english and don't know Japanese, you don't recognise them.

I leave it at that.
I don't understand japanese so i prefer to watch it in a language i understand. I watched it that was a child and suffice to say not alot was lost in Doraemon. Big Grin

While i do appreciate that often the Japanese VA's can convey emotion better the USA VA's often suffice for me. It doesn't bother me too much. There are some rare instances when i couldn't stand the english dub like SMoon's American Voice but then i couldn't stand Smoon anyway. :p

I guess what i am saying is that given i don't understand japanese (& providing the english or other language dub is not totally dire) i prefer to be able to concentrate on the anime rather than reading it.

While the Jap VA's can express emotion it's not as if the subtitles along can express it as well. At times the subtitles on screen are not a direct translation of what the characters are saying due to the order in which sentences are constructed etc.

In the past especially subtitle tracks sometimes westernise what is going on so subtitles differ in quality too. And lets not even go the way of dubtitles (though they have come in handy when someone was sleeping and i had to keep the tv turned low).

I guess bilingual is the best option as we get to choose our preference or even experience both.
Actually I watch animes in both languages. English when I don't have the time. I can do my homework and listen to the conversation at the same time. Also, I could walk away from the tv for awhile and still could understand by listening to the English dub.
Japanese if I have lots of time on my hand. Japanese language does sound much much better I would say. But you can't walk away at all if you don't understand it. Either you pause it or you go back and watch the section again. Troublesome. Generally, i try to watch them in Japanese.
I guess it boils down to the quality of the dub job for me or in some instances how I first saw the show. With My Neighbour Totoro, Ninja Scroll, and Castle of Cagliostro I much prefer to watch these with the dub jobs just because it's how I'm most familiar with the characters. I watched Totoro millions of times before finally getting a chance to hear the original Japanese language track and it just sounded funny to me because I already had the American VAs associated with it.

That being said, there are tons of shows that I can't stand the dubs just because they feel like they are either being totally over acted or just read off a page. It seems that it is easier to find a well dubbed movie than a well dubbed TV show.

If I can get a good dub job, I will watch that just because it's easier and I'm lazy. At the same time, even a mediochre dub job bugs me and I'll switch to subs in a big hurry.
Although I choose not to watch dubs, it's good to have the choice.

Admittedly, there are many English dubs that appear clumsy and totally unsuitable, but there are just as many shoddy subtitle jobs, which can upset your enjoyment before you even think of considering the quality of translation. I've praised the company before, but Animeigo, in my opinion, makes the effort to ensure both dub and sub fans are happy.

I think a far more pressing concern is localisation, particularly in terms of the English dub. How far should a company go to ensure it makes a show accessible for an American (I'm specifying the US because all the companies are American) audience. I'm thinking of Tokyopop's handling of Initial D. I'll admit I haven't seen it, but the review I read seems to suggest that some crimes were committed.

I don't have the problem of 'reading' subtitles - I can absorb whole lines at once as I'm sure any avid reader can. Neither do I do other things whilst watching. Others might not have the luxury, but I set aside some time for watching and make sure that is all I do.
Typically, it all depends on which version I hear first, with one exception. For instance, back in the day, I watched Tenchi on Toonami, and loved the english Dub and could never get into the Japanese Dub. Conversly, it's the same with just about any other Japanese Dub I hear first, I just can't get into the English track. The only exception would be DBZ, but the only thing unbearable with that show was the awful music they replaced the original music with and the announcer's voice, but since I've watched the Japanese version so much now, it's moot, since I barely remember what the English versions sounds like anymore.
I guess I'm just different than most of you. When I am watching TV I tend to really pay attention. I won't do other things while watching. When I watch anime now I barely turn the subs on. I can understand without them. That being said there are (and I know for a fact) some very bad japanese dubs. Especially in the case of Love Hina. I have all of the manga (in pure japanese, of course.Wink ) and would read it all the time. I got to know the characters. They had voices of my making, and a very different delivery from what the anime gives. Overall it was way (the anime) too hammy. Just lame. I'm not saying the manga was dire serious (c'mon it is Love Hina), but it was different from the anime.

I hate dubs because it seems (this is just me) that people aren't even able to tolerate something in another language, just for the sake that it is different.
I alway pick dub over sub these day, not to say that they are better. I mean I love just anime I have that's subbed (Trigun & FF: U eps1-3). I like the Japanese sub of Trigun more than I do the English one, & it may be one of the few titles I'd rather see subbed.

For one reading give me a headache.
Second, I'm not the brightest person, & sometimes tend to get lost when watching subs, as my mind wonders a bit from what I'm reading. Plus when watching dubbed anime I can lay down, & still understand it, while with subs, I can't read sideways quick enough to keep up.
Plus one of my main goals in life is to get other to watch anime, & more people around here are willing to sit down & watch dubbed anime, when they would find watching the same title subed to be a waste of time.
Quote:Originally posted by Suzakuseikun
I'm going to say this: People complain about bad English dubs. There's a lot of bad Japanese jobs too, but because you speak english and don't know Japanese, you don't recognise them.

I leave it at that.

Very true. *Cough*ChanceTriangleSession*Cough*

In general, I gots no beef with dubs. If a dub is good I'll watch it at least once. And there are some series where I love the original voice cast and the dub voices equally (Fruits Basket, Kare Kano, Noir, etc.), so I'm glad to have both.
I do have to say usually, it is what I hear first is what I prefer, back in the day some of us had no choice but hear the English dub, because that is all Streamline would do and a few other companies were like that as well. Now of course we have a choice, but some English voices are horrible compare to the Japanese, but I do enjoy some stuff like Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Ranma, and others in English, but some stuff like DBZ and Kenshin are nothing compared to the Japanese, but to each their own.
I don't mind localization of dubs, the truth is there are alot of references in anime that was aimed toward a Japanese audience and not alot of non japanese will understand them.

If someone wants to watch anime as authentic as possible then watch with subs or learn Japanese and watch it raw. Now, if the subtitle track was localized and chaged then that would get me very upset.

Manga is a different story cause unlike DVDs there is no choice for people who don't speak and read Japanese, your force to read it how the company translated and presented it unless you go and get the scanlations which I hate cause it's a pain in the ass (literally) and eyes to read them.

And yes to each his own, watch anime how you like to watch it cause thats all that matters.
Quote:Originally posted by evilomar
but some stuff like DBZ and Kenshin are nothing compared to the Japanese, but to each their own.

To me Kenshin just wouldn't be the same show without Lex Lang (I believe is the name of Sano's VA.)

While my only complaint about the dub being I wish they would have added Kenshin's "that" speech as often as it is in the subs. I like to here him say "that it is", & the sort, it's sounds so cool.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6