Import Anime Forums

Full Version: why do some ppl like their anime dubbed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
They can't do that for an American dub. In the Japanese version, they animate the mouth for the duration of the script, for the American Dub, they couldn't just act, because they have to experiment with length, duration and speed of speech and words. Many times editing the script on the fly to get it down.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for the English VAs, they work with a lot more adversity than Japanese VAs, considering the Japanese VAs just have to act, the English VAs have to transform a meaning into dialogue and get it to fit in less/more syllables than they would desire.
Quote:Originally posted by kakomu
They can't do that for an American dub. In the Japanese version, they animate the mouth for the duration of the script, for the American Dub, they couldn't just act, because they have to experiment with length, duration and speed of speech and words. Many times editing the script on the fly to get it down.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for the English VAs, they work with a lot more adversity than Japanese VAs, considering the Japanese VAs just have to act, the English VAs have to transform a meaning into dialogue and get it to fit in less/more syllables than they would desire.

Whilst I don't disagree with you at all for having respect for the English-speaking VAs, I'm sure it's more than just a simple case of having to act for the Japanese. They too have to turn words into speech and dialogue filled with substance and depth.

The scriptwriters/translators will prepare a script for an English dub. It is then up to the English-speaking VAs their skills as actors to transform their English lines into believable dialogue.

There is very little difference - it boils down to your ability to voice act. This is evident in some of the A-list actors they get for Ghibli English dubs - they're great on-screen in their movies, but some of them aren't that impressive when you can just hear their voice.

I'm sure after several tries I could speak at least one line in time with an on-screen character, but I would be absolutely shit because I cannot offer any other emotion in my voice other than it's usuall dull, monotonous tone let alone be 'someone else'.

There are good English-speaking and Japanese VAs just as there are bad English and Japanese VAs.
I would also like to point out that the Japanese Director of You're Under Arrest said that the American Dubbed version was better done than the original. And it is also widely acknowledged that the American dub of Bebop is better than the original.

As for emotions in the Japanese voices. They could be saying something like "My Brother just died. I'm so sad." And say it in a happy and exuberant manner and you wouldn't know if they were doing a good job or not. You would never know the difference or what they were saying unless you read the subs. So you really have no idea how well those emotions are matchign what is actually being siad.

Everyone needs to get over their biases and open their eyes. Anyone that says dubs are never as good as subs or vice versa is obviously closed minded and will never give the other a fair chance.

I'm gonna be honest and say I prefer dubs because I don't want to be reading while watching TV. That being said, I've watched many, many dubs and they are getting much better than they used to be. People really should give some dubs a chance before automatically saying it's not as good. It's sad that the Japanese directors can listen to the dubs with an open mind but American fans can't.
um.. I like to watch the dub over sub. and it's because I just like it better that way. god, why do people feel like they need this big long drawn out reason for liking what they like. to me this whole thread is like some one asking me why I like my shirt, and then when I tell them why, they want to argue with me over my reasons. hahaha. sorry if that's not good enough for some of you, but it's the only reason I can or will give. I JUST DO!~
These were the kinds of threads I closed when I was a mod, because they're pointless. Someone on this forum is slacking on their job... Rolleyes
Quote:Originally posted by meowchi
um.. I like to watch the dub over sub. and it's because I just like it better that way. god, why do people feel like they need this big long drawn out reason for liking what they like. to me this whole thread is like some one asking me why I like my shirt, and then when I tell them why, they want to argue with me over my reasons. hahaha. sorry if that's not good enough for some of you, but it's the only reason I can or will give. I JUST DO!~

Well put, I feel the same way these posts just bring out peoples stupidity. It's a shame that we can't act in an adult manner around these sites, and just answer the mans or womans question when they have one. No we can't do that it has to be one person answering and then 3 other people going "well your stupid for liking it a different way than me." I mean come on damn it I go through this crap enough at Gametz with everyone calling everyone else stupid because the like the PS2 over the Xbox or the Xbox over the PS2, oh and if you like the Gamecubed you get insulted twice as much. I mean come on now are we all 2 year old, you need me to wipe the drool off you face little ones?
Quote:Originally posted by pugmagician
"well your stupid for liking it a different way than me."

You guys are absolutely right! Its dorky ass attitudes like that, that drive people away from the anime genre!
Quote:Originally posted by evilomar
You guys are absolutely right! Its dorky ass attitudes like that, that drive people away from the anime genre!

I am glad that I am not the only one who felt that way. I just hate this whole sub over dub debate. I mean why does it even matter, unless we are gonna hang out and watch some anime together, Then we can fight over who gets to watch it what way. Smile
I wanted to figure out some reasons why anyone would prefer dubbed anime over subbed anime, as I could not see any. After reading all the responses I can understand some of the reasoning now. Thank you very much for sharing your valuable input.

As it seems this discussion is going out of hand with some of the name-calling that has begun, perhaps it is prudent that we end the discussion right here.

In the end, it does not matter whether a person prefers dubbed anime over subbed anime or viceversa, as long as we all enjoy anime!

Cheers!
Suzakuseikun:
i believe someone has already pointed that 99.9999999% of anime is originally in japanese so i think that justifies my point. and i watched vampire hunter d: bloodlust in english because it was intended to be viewed that way.

Prophet Hero:
i know that because anime is being dubbed in the usa that it will undoubtably have americian accents galore but it would be nice if the actors at least tried to get into character by at least attempting to hide their accents no rubbing them in our faces. a certain mister john clements suggested to manga entertainment that patlabor should be dubbed by english voice actors to get an english cop drama feel to the show (i think he had "he bill in mind"???), now i would have liked to see that!

kakoi_sugoi_yama:
excellent point that i should have pointed out myself, i must be slipping in my old age! the reason the acting in japanese dubs are so much better is because they are actioning with their co-stars not with a tape recording while tring to keep in sync with a cartoon!

Junkie Joe:
hurry up and lock this thread its quite obviously became a "dub vs sub thread"!!! hurry or someone may die!!!
The english dub probably would (actually definitely would) be better if they had the ability to do it together. Right now it is like watching a live action movie where all of the actors taped thier stuff, and sent it in to be edited together.Wink It is just odd.Big Grin It just comes down to what you prefer.
For a really neat look into the dubbing process, there is a short bit on the R1 of Mononoke Hime that gives a glimpse into what goes on. A neat side note to that particular release is that they hired Neil Gaiman to work on the translation to get a better sense of story after the translation.

Now here's something that makes me laugh out loud: people asking for a thread to be closed. If it was a TRULY pointless thread then people wouldn't respond or they would stop reading it all together. Instead, this thread has continued for a reasonable length of time. I will agree that some of these posts are getting a bit personal and there is major flame bait strewn about but I will also say that it IS interesting reading peoples opinions and finding out how they like to enjoy their anime.

I guess that's the key to any debate. Enjoy the anime. If someone likes to turn off the sound and switch between the English and Chinese subs every five minutes, then that's fine with me as long as they enjoy it that way. With anything based on opions, there isn't a right or a wrong... just opinions. No matter how many facts you use to make a case, in the end you're still stating your opinion. You can't be wrong about how you think. Just don't confuse opinion with fact and it's really hard to get into a flame war.
Zagatto, the reason why people ask for the trait close are:

1. They are fed up with ANOTHER dub vs subs trait ... every anime forum has a few up to a few 100 of those ( depending how populair the forum is & how many time's people start a dub vs sub trait ).

2. These trait almost always end up in big time flaming. 1 Person stays loyal to his ideals, another person doesent like it, and the flaming starts ... most of the time's with something small, and then it grows ...

And point 1 is the biggest reason for most people ...
all the mods must be in bed because this thread has had too good an innings.

based on the arguements ive read it looks like sub is well winning, the dub crew aint got not real good points. infact this debate would convince me to watch anime in japanese if i already didnt!
Quote:Originally posted by sanosuke
all the mods must be in bed because this thread has had too good an innings.

based on the arguements ive read it looks like sub is well winning, the dub crew aint got not real good points. infact this debate would convince me to watch anime in japanese if i already didnt!

Why complain it's not locked then continue the argument?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6