Final Fantasy 12 thoughts?
what are your thoughts on final fantasy 12? i just bought it. i find the battle system unique and average, i would rather prefer a battle system from 10. its not god awful by anymeans, just hard to get used to.
My girlfriend reviewed it in the latest Beckett Anime Magazine. She seemed to like it. To me it seemed a bit boring to play, but the graphics were pretty. And Damn that Fran is one fine looking bunny!
http://www.aboutheroes.com Best comic book podcast!!! Come and join in!
I'm loving it. I haven't played that much yet but i really like the darker story they set up in the opening movie. I really like the battle system, especially no more random encounters. The license system seems interesting and is easier to understand than what they had in FFX imo.

I'm told it only starts getting really interesting after the first 6 hours or so. So it gets even better.

And boy does it look good. Also very small load times which is amazing in a huge game like this. PS2 is getting alot of time from me. Okami also had me hooked. Best ps2 exclusive I've played.
Oops! It seems I shoud've come here first. It would've prevented me from talking about the game in 'The future of Zagatto' thread. Oh well, I'll let you know what I think about it after playing for a few hours.
Just want to say that if the battle system is as hard as the battle system of Magna Carta: Tears of Blood was supposed to be (supposedly very hard) then I'm going to find it extremely easy. To this day I still wonder what was so hard about Magna Carta's battle system. Rolleyes
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
12's battle system is easy to use but some of the battles can be pretty hard. I'll write more later. So far I like 10 way better but it's still a pretty good game.
I like it so far, it reminds me of FF9, which is my favorite.
-spike- Wrote:it reminds me of FF9

Blasphemy!

It's taking some getting used to, one morning I wake up looking forward to playing it, the next I say Godd@mn it, this game f***ing sucks.

I am sort of enjoying the game, but at the same time it gets old entirely to fast. I sit down to play it & within 2-3 hours I'm bored & want to take a break. The wonderful thing about FF 5-9 was that I could sit down for at least 4-5 hours of straight gameplay.

It's hard to say, I'd give it an 8, maybe a 9 at the most. It just doesn't feel like a classic Final Fantasy.
My Soul Brings Tears to Satanic Eyes.

If Max Collins, Matt Skiba, Jimmy Urine, & Mark Phillips had a child it would be one fu*ked up mofo, but 'it' would be the God of music.

As-1D R077's temp homepage: http://www.freewebs.com/as1dr077/index.html
Man I really like not having to load battles. I do like turn based systems, but not having random battles makes me so... happy. My biggest problem with 12 so far is vaan is kinda gay. I hope he gets cooler later. So far if balthier wasn't in the game i'd want to play it a lot less. He's an excellent supporting character. Oh, and frans voice actor blows.

The license system if fairly easy to use but also kinda annoying. I hate having to find and spend points on squares just so I can wear a piece of equipment I found. And I forgot - when is this game set? I was quite surprised to find that stupid moogle from tactics at the guild hall. Also, wasn't it decided the tactics world was entirely made up? I never finished it so I don't know how it ended but i'm slightly irritated that I may be playing in a fictional fictional world with a serious story line.

The world is still pretty cool though. The judges look awesome. It's nice widescreen actually works. DQ8 was kinda annoying. They had a setting for widescreen but everything was still slightly smushed lol.

BTW does DQ8 ever get any better? The characters generally range from stupid to annoying, the world is dumb (i don't like silly much) and i'm getting tired of running from town to town chasing a jester that kills everyone. Heh, you know, that sounds much cooler in writing than it actually is.
Cidien Wrote:Man I really like not having to load battles. I do like turn based systems, but not having random battles makes me so... happy. My biggest problem with 12 so far is vaan is kinda gay. I hope he gets cooler later. So far if balthier wasn't in the game i'd want to play it a lot less. He's an excellent supporting character. Oh, and frans voice actor blows.

The license system if fairly easy to use but also kinda annoying. I hate having to find and spend points on squares just so I can wear a piece of equipment I found. And I forgot - when is this game set? I was quite surprised to find that stupid moogle from tactics at the guild hall. Also, wasn't it decided the tactics world was entirely made up? I never finished it so I don't know how it ended but i'm slightly irritated that I may be playing in a fictional fictional world with a serious story line.

Hell has frozen over, as I am actually willing to agree with you for once.

I don't really like Vaan's character, as Balthier steals the show for me as well, but for the longest time he was the only one I played as. Finally I started to use Balthier in battle.
Is Vaan voiced by the same VA as Tidus was or something? They're both equally shitty.
I like Fran's voice though, it really seems to reflect her slightly disconnected personality.
Balthier is probably the only other voice actor I like. Boach (however you spell it) is decent, Vossler was pretty good, but none compare to Balthier.

The problem I find with the license board is I'll model one character as a fighter, one as a white mage, And one as a kind of Paladin. Then I can either make the other three characters carbon copies, or do as I normally do, jsut go around the board randomly licensing things in hopes that I'll have a use for that character, like ignoring some skills & going for more exotic equipment. I think only one of my characters can use ninja swords & only one can use katanas. The problem is they say it takes about 13,000-18,000 points to master the board, & I've already colelcted well over 1,500 & that was just within 10-12 hours of gameplay. By the time the equipment is availible in the shops all my characters will be able to use it.

And buying armor from the shops is so annoying. It doesn't tell you enough about the item you want to buy. It says Def or Mag Def, but the difference between light, magical, & heavy are the stat boosts you get. I don't like having to buy one of each to find out which will play best with the "classes" I use.
I end up trying to over generalize some of the inbetween characters by giving them long ranged weapons, with battle armor, but then I buy them the advancements in magic along side the advancements in battle lore. I end up with maybe one pure fighter, one pure healer, & the rest are Jack-of-All-Trades & that can't be good in the long run.

There are just to many options for me, I lamely enough miss the old days of 'Hey, at level 22 I get dkgfjskgs attack!"
FF9, tactics, & 7 did a good job at changing it up, but still leaving it enjoyable. It was more of, hey I can equip this or that, either way I'm going to end up learning both, but hmmm, which first.
That was probably my only real problem with the sphere board or whatever from 10. Should I go left or right? Ok, now should I go left again. Wait, I'll be stuck there for a while while I wait to get a level 2 lock...
Hmm, I guess I'll just teach him White magic....wait, why does he need white magic.. Why is Kamari a playable character, I don't want him.

ehhh, -_-
My Soul Brings Tears to Satanic Eyes.

If Max Collins, Matt Skiba, Jimmy Urine, & Mark Phillips had a child it would be one fu*ked up mofo, but 'it' would be the God of music.

As-1D R077's temp homepage: http://www.freewebs.com/as1dr077/index.html
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Just want to say that if the battle system is as hard as the battle system of Magna Carta: Tears of Blood was supposed to be (supposedly very hard) then I'm going to find it extremely easy. To this day I still wonder what was so hard about Magna Carta's battle system. Rolleyes

Magna Carta's battle system sucked because each attack was like watching a full summon in a Final Fantasy game. An easy battle would take pretty close to 5 minutes. If there was a way to skip the visual display of attacks (like how FF games let you show a short version of a summon or dress change), then it would've been a little bit better, and probably taken 1 or 2 minutes for the actual battles.

Oh yeah, you also had to wait for the slower-than-normal attack gauge to fill up before you could attack.

I'm pretty sure I spent more time in battles than I did playing the actual game. /end rant

But the art was good.
I really like it but my mind boggles as to why they did some of the stupid crap in this game. Again my biggest problem is with the license board. Equipment shouldnt be on there and magic shouldnt be in shops. That would have made it much more stategic. I like using it for stat gains and stuff. I like the battle system and prefer it over the old. Although only after about 20 hours in when it started to really make sense.
Other major anoyence is leveling and how points are aquired. I find myself exploring more due to liking the new fight system. However the exp points gained in each area dont change much for how big a skill is required. So if you complete one area and move to the next you might get an extra 20 exp points but the skill/difficulty is alot harder considering. So to level up quicker its easier to explore the easier areal in which everything dies within a hit or 2 and healing is no biggy. Also the points for the license board dont change (the odd vcreature gives 2) So you go back to the very first area with lots of creatures and its one hit with no damage taken.
masamune arcade..........still in development
[Image: masasig6xh.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on Final Fantasy 12 demo darkanx 19 10,620 01-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Andromeda18_