And E3 unofficially begins...
Exactly, when you have a game where every one is pretty and everyone does exactly what they should whats the point. Its like oh okay now is the part where the dude with amnesia saves the world, oh now is the part where the girl finds the crystals to save everyone, the stories are no longer strong compeling stories they just fall into the cliche checklist.

The best villians are the ones who have an equal possiblitiy of taking the path of good or evil, the ones who have to make that choice and had just as much chance of turning out to be the good guy as they did to be the bad guy.

No one said that pretty people cant have depth or personality but square seems to think so.
geo85 Wrote:Its like oh okay now is the part where the dude with amnesia saves the world, oh now is the part where the girl finds the crystals to save everyone, the stories are no longer strong compeling stories they just fall into the cliche checklist.

You can say that about the games you have already played but not about the games you have yet to play.
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
Blight Wrote:You wanna say I have built a stereotype that pretty people can't fight, but you can't see that when everybody is pretty, THAT ISN'T EVEN POSSIBLE!

Andromeda18_ Wrote:It's a game! Almost everything going on there is impossible!

I believe you have once again misinterpreted what I was trying to say. Admittedly, I wrote it weird. Basically I was saying that if everyone was pretty, it would be hard form me to invent a stereotype that pretty people couldn’t fight, because if every one was pretty, and this is strictly with in the confines of the virtual realm, then naturally some of them would have to be the fighters. It would then be impossible for all of a team to not be pretty, and making a stereotype that pretty people can’t fight isn’t going to happen because it would just be stupid then.

I'm saying don't put words in my mouth. I did not say pretty people can't fight. Ever.

Andromeda18_ Wrote:You do realize the majority of people who create these characters aren't exactly pretty right? Don't go blaming this on pretty people!

Do you realize that I can actually divulge the difference between characters (people in the game) and real people? I’m having doubts about you… Seriously, I don’t know where you pulled out this idea that I have a problem with pretty people, but stop it. I have a problem with skin deep characters, and more importantly, the mundane writers who resort to the same archetypes time and time again.

Andromeda18_ Wrote:I suggest you play Radiata Stories then. Plenty of average looking characters there. In fact, one of the main characters is a short, fat man (who just happens to be a warrior). :p

Yeah, Radiata Stories is pretty damn funny. You know why? It has non-clichéd writing (or even better, some cliché mocking), and it's cast is very well rounded and lively without a bunch of gorgeous characters. But you know what? If every one of them would have been angelic in appearance, it wouldn't have changed a thing. I may hate that every game out there seems to use pretty boy leads, and most female leads are quite buxom, but it doesn't matter when they are paper thin.

Andromeda18_ Wrote:And by the way, Tom Cruise's nose is far from perfect.

Um, WTF? I really hadn't noticed...:confused:

Anyway, if the ultimate point you are trying to make is just because it's pretty doesn't mean it's bad; that goes down as a big no shit. I'm just saying that far too many pretty characters are pretty to compensate for their lack of depth, and that just doesn't work for me.
[Image: kakashianbubanner3psdva9.jpg]
"OMFG, let me rush onto my NOAHS ARC!" by JunkieJoe
Now on to why I was gonna post in the first place.

"E3 2006: Microsoft Recommends Wii
Peter Moore tells people to pick up a Wii and a 360 instead of a PS3.
by JKR

May 11, 2006 - You read it right. Peter Moore, a vice president for Microsoft, asked in a recent interview, "Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3?" He went on to explain, "People are going to buy two [machines]. They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3."

Microsoft seems to have decided to side with Nintendo in order to overthrow Sony's current lead in the videogame market. Whether the strategy will work or not remains to be seen. Though no official announcement has been made regarding the price of Wii at launch, it is expected to release for a significantly cheaper price than either the 360 or Playstation 3 consoles.

Nintendo has stated many times that it does not wish to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft in the next generation war, opting to move into a new direction with Wii that will complement the other systems."

OMFGLMAO!!! That's so funny. In the history of video games, I don?t think I have ever heard one company endorse the people they compete with. But what a dis at Sony. Too bad I plan to only buy a Wii.
Blight Wrote:Do you realize that I can actually divulge the difference between characters (people in the game) and real people? I?m having doubts about you? Seriously, I don?t know where you pulled out this idea that I have a problem with pretty people, but stop it. I have a problem with skin deep characters, and more importantly, the mundane writers who resort to the same archetypes time and time again.

Now I think you're the one who misunderstood.
This is what you wrote in a previous post:
Blight Wrote:I just want to know why we ONLY see the pretty battlers. I mean, are pretty people the only ones fit save the world? Is that why they think they are better than everyone else, cause with out them our world would fall into tremendous peril?

And this is what I wrote in reply to that:
Quote:You do realize the majority of people who create these characters aren't exactly pretty right? Don't go blaming this on pretty people!

You clearly ask, why we only see pretty warriors in games nowdays, if pretty people are the only ones fit to save the world, and if it's because of that that pretty people think they are better than everyone else. That's why I mentioned that the one's creating these characters aren't exactly pretty. The pretty battlers weren't created by pretty people who think they're better than everyone else. Pretty people might think they're better than everyone else, I'm certain some do, but that has nothing to do with why we only see pretty warriors in these games.
Unless you were talking about the characters in the game when you said "Is that why they think they are better than everyone else", and let me tell you it didn't seem that way, then there's no reason to doubt my ability to tell the difference between real people and characters in a game.

Blight Wrote:Anyway, if the ultimate point you are trying to make is just because it's pretty doesn't mean it's bad; that goes down as a big no shit. I'm just saying that far too many pretty characters are pretty to compensate for their lack of depth, and that just doesn't work for me.

First you were complaining about these new RPGs because everybody was pretty but then you complained about the bad writing and the shallow characters. If you don't like these new games because of the lack of depth or whatever then fine but not liking them because you don't like bishounen characters is a bit narrowminded, almost prejudiced. Personaly, I seriously doubt they're pretty to compensate for their lack of depth. They look the way they do because that's what pleases the players in Japan, it's in conformity with their culture and aesthetic principles and since these games are made in Japan it only makes sense they make them according to their likings.

Blight Wrote:Um, WTF? I really hadn't noticed...:confused:

His nose has always been a bit big and chunky but as I watched MI3 I couldn't help thinking he had something done to his nose 'cause now it's more defined but it's also a bit crooked. You can see that here: http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5269/...0026ke.jpg
Not that it makes him any less hot. :p
Blight Wrote:"People are going to buy two [machines]. They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3."

Then the Wii is going to have to be seriously cheap compared to the other two. Here the 360 costs almost as much as the 20gb PS3 is going to cost so, unless the Wii is really cheap there's no way I'll be able to buy a 360 and a Wii for the price of one PS3 (and I mean the 60gb one).
You have to add tax and at least 70 for one game to the ps3 so thats about $726.00 for us in the states, so you figure if you get the 360 and a game thats 500, so that means the wee wee could be like 200 or even 180 but i say 200 is a nice round number. I think if M$ has worked out the kinks in the 360 by the time the wee wee comes out ill get the 360 as and the wee wee and forget the ps3, my ps2 works just as well, heck my midnight blue psone works just fine too.

The ps3 controller looks like a chinatown ps2 controller, way to go sony, cheap it up, and I like the tack on copys of nintendo and M$, heck I bet the button doesnt even work or maybe it just turns on ps3 external lighting and thats it.

Also blight was trying to say that they make them all pretty to hide that fact that they are skin deep, not jumping from one arguement to the other. for the record for anyone with the your opinion doesnt matter cause it will make lots of money arguement, you all hate episode 1 and 2 but they both made record breaking millions. Also i wont play ff12 you will big deal lets move on.
I'll play ff12 for three reasons.

1) FF hasn't let me down yet (holy crap typing drunk is bad, had to use the delete button three times on that and four times on this explation. 8 now.)

2) The intro movie looks really cool. The one on the disc that came with dq8.

3) Ya ill try to post 3 when I remember again.
Listen, in the end they can say whatever they want that they think the consumer wants. Bottom line is the exclusive games. If you want everything you need to get all 3. A 360 and wii won't give you everything nor does any other combination. The PS name is big, maybe even bigger than nintendo's now. Xbox is not known as a family console and the other 2 are. Ps3 and wii have the most and best exclusives. Xbox fails in Japan so it'll never be no.1 worldwide.

Hey Geo, where did you see ps3 games on sale for $70?
Halo will sell the 360. If for no other reason i'll buy one for halo 3.
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Not that it makes him any less hot. :p

I kind of see him as desexualised... Maybe scientology is just a big turn off lol... And what's with the leather pants? For someone trying so hard (and expensively) to dodge rumours of their sexuality he's not doing a good job lol. I see what you mean about the nose though...
http://www.playfrance.com/news-e3-2...rm-devoile.html

Kick ass motorstorm gameplay video.

Looks absolutely great (its a cam) but gameplay seems a bit slow. Cars need a bit more horsepowers.
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Unless you were talking about the characters in the game when you said "Is that why they think they are better than everyone else", and let me tell you it didn't seem that way, then there's no reason to doubt my ability to tell the difference between real people and characters in a game.

That is exactly what I meant when I wrote that. I mean, when was the last time any one saved our world?

Andromeda18_ Wrote:First you were complaining about these new RPGs because everybody was pretty but then you complained about the bad writing and the shallow characters. If you don't like these new games because of the lack of depth or whatever then fine but not liking them because you don't like bishounen characters is a bit narrowminded, almost prejudiced. Personally, I seriously doubt they're pretty to compensate for their lack of depth. They look the way they do because that's what pleases the players in Japan, it's in conformity with their culture and aesthetic principles and since these games are made in Japan it only makes sense they make them according to their likings.

I'd agree with you if I only hated them because of their looks. And partly, I do. I am beginning to develop a prejudice against SE's charters in general, because to me some of them all feel like the same person, or fit in to the cast type. I first talk about the bishounen because they seem to be every where, not just in SE games. By their existence, they are become a cliché. Not scratch that, they are a cliché, absolutely now doubt about it. They may be a part of Japanese culture, but that doesn't excuse them from being over used.

So moving on to why I complain about the writing in their connection to bishounen characters. It is not necessarily how they look, but what their look immediately heralds when you see them. Because of bad writing, they get the bad rap. Which I admit is unfair, but not untrue either. Because writers continually use them in similar ways, the visual design of that character is now pigeon holed.

So I have come to this conclusion. I am different than you. You see a game, and react more like you have described Japanese people to act, and enjoy their looks. Nothing wrong with that, cause you aren't me. I see a bishounen character and curse because of another Emo pretty boy in a FF game. Nothing wrong with that, cause I ain?t you.

Andromeda18_ Wrote:Then the Wii is going to have to be seriously cheap compared to the other two. Here the 360 costs almost as much as the 20gb PS3 is going to cost so, unless the Wii is really cheap there's no way I'll be able to buy a 360 and a Wii for the price of one PS3 (and I mean the 60gb one).

I fully expect it to, but I just posted that cause it Microsoft saying to buy a Wii. That has almost infinite humor. And if the Wii managed to out sell the 360, even more.

gubi-gubi Wrote:I kind of see him as desexualised... Maybe scientology is just a big turn off lol... And what's with the leather pants? For someone trying so hard (and expensively) to dodge rumours of their sexuality he's not doing a good job lol. I see what you mean about the nose though...

Hahahaha, that?s so funny. But I didn?t know he was trying to dodge rumors about his sexuality.
Okay I added the 70 but its not unreasonable they cant sell for less than 60 thats for sure.

Who gives a F*** bout cruise or his sexuality. He probably has scientology orgies with kirsty ally and travolta. Some people seem to forget that they idolize a man that kept 12 year old girls as sexual slaves and wives.
Blight Wrote:That is exactly what I meant when I wrote that. I mean, when was the last time any one saved our world?

Okay, so now explain to me how characters in a game can possibly think they're better than everyone else because they're pretty. As far as I know ficticious characters can't think.

Blight Wrote:I first talk about the bishounen because they seem to be every where, not just in SE games. By their existence, they are become a cliché. Not scratch that, they are a cliché, absolutely now doubt about it. They may be a part of Japanese culture, but that doesn't excuse them from being over used.

It's not any different with 'careless about their image', tough looking guys. They're everywhere as well and have been everywhere for a much longer period of time.

Blight Wrote:So I have come to this conclusion. I am different than you. You see a game, and react more like you have described Japanese people to act, and enjoy their looks. Nothing wrong with that, cause you aren't me. I see a bishounen character and curse because of another Emo pretty boy in a FF game. Nothing wrong with that, cause I ain?t you.

I never said you had to be like me, nor like the same things I do. If we all liked the same things it would be plain boring. But I do detect a bit of prejudice in there, not against characters in a game since that's all they are, but against people (men) who worry about their appearance.

gubi-gubi Wrote:I kind of see him as desexualised... Maybe scientology is just a big turn off lol... And what's with the leather pants? For someone trying so hard (and expensively) to dodge rumours of their sexuality he's not doing a good job lol. I see what you mean about the nose though...

I don't really pay a lot of attention to gossip and rumours although sometimes they're unavoidable. I look at him and see the same hot man I used to see when he was 24, that's just it. I do think he has gotten worse as an actor.

geo85 Wrote:Okay I added the 70 but its not unreasonable they cant sell for less than 60 thats for sure.

Who gives a F*** bout cruise or his sexuality. He probably has scientology orgies with kirsty ally and travolta. Some people seem to forget that they idolize a man that kept 12 year old girls as sexual slaves and wives.

Who said anything about idolizing him?! I just think he's hot, that's all.