V for Vendetta
evilomar Wrote:You do realize that 99% of the time the books and comics are better than the movie right?

I doubt very much this is in that 99%. And I think you might be reading too much if you think this movie was made as a blatant attack on the patriot act... would be like me saying this movie was made as a blatant attack on nazism. This kinda makes me wanna go find any interviews with the director now lol.
Cidien Wrote:I doubt very much this is in that 99%. And I think you might be reading too much if you think this movie was made as a blatant attack on the patriot act... would be like me saying this movie was made as a blatant attack on nazism. This kinda makes me wanna go find any interviews with the director now lol.

The differences between nazism and the Bush administration are few and far between. I think you've missed the whole point of the movie. Then again I think I remember you saying in a thread that you don't care if the government read your emails or listen to your phone calls so I doubt you'd care if the world was the same as V for Vendetta...
I agree with the original poster that this was one seriously kick ass movie! However, it is not for everyone. I have a feeling that some people may be turned off by V's way of talking (using Shakespear and the like). However, if you are not bothered by such, then you will likely love this movie. To best describe this movie, think the Count of Monte Crisco, Nazi Germany, and Hitler's reign all rolled into one. That is more or less this movies story, as once you actually see it, you can clearly see the story was strongly driven by them.
LordODFlizeX Wrote:I have a feeling that some people may be turned off by V's way of talking (using Shakespear and the like).

Yeah I think you're right. I saw it for a second time and the first time you see V he's talking really fast and weird. It's so weird it almost doesn't fit in with the rest of the movie as he's not that bad after the first time we see him... Unless it's there to get you used to it really quickly... Also the English accents in general are a bit dodgy but it kind of adds to the style.
gubi-gubi Wrote:The differences between nazism and the Bush administration are few and far between. I think you've missed the whole point of the movie. Then again I think I remember you saying in a thread that you don't care if the government read your emails or listen to your phone calls so I doubt you'd care if the world was the same as V for Vendetta...

I've just lost any and all respect for you. People who compare Bush to Hitler are the dumbest people I know of. You should really be ashamed of yourself, but considering you'd make the comparison in the first place i'm sure you won't be.
Cidien Wrote:People who compare Bush to Hitler are the dumbest people I know of.

Why is that? Do you even know anything about your own president? Did you know for instance his family once actually FUNDED Hitler? Or how they were supporters of the Nazi party in America? Did you know what Hitler did when he got in power? He burned the Reichstag and blamed it on the communists. Notice how the official story of Sept. 11th doesn't fit or how not soon after Afghanistan was invaded it was Iraq? Bush is a power hungry fool bent on world domination...
Just arrived home from the movie and I must say I really, really loved it! I wasn't turned off in the least by the way V talked, quite the contrary and I think Hugo Weaving's voice fit the man behind the mask perfectly. Also, I didn't have any trouble understanding what he was saying except for the first sentence that came out of his mouth. Boy, did he speak fast! But I suppose having recently watched GITS: Innocence really got me used to complex, philosophical sentences (you wouldn't believe the amount of people that walked out in the middle of the movie).
I didn't know what to expect of this movie since I've never read the comics, nor was I familiar with the story in any way, but it truly turned out to be awesome.

gubi-gubi Wrote:Why is that? Do you even know anything about your own president? Did you know for instance his family once actually FUNDED Hitler? Or how they were supporters of the Nazi party in America? Did you know what Hitler did when he got in power? He burned the Reichstag and blamed it on the communists. Notice how the official story of Sept. 11th doesn't fit or how not soon after Afghanistan was invaded it was Iraq? Bush is a power hungry fool bent on world domination...

Well, I'm not going to say much about this because if I do I might offend someone and I'm not too keen on doing that, but if any of your sentences if truthful beyond a doubt is this last one Gubi-gubi.
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
I am going to step in here and point out that there are many parallels between Hitler's rise to power in Germany and what is currently happening with the Bush administration. Both of them rose to power supported by a disaffected populace looking for someone to blame for the societal problems of the times. Both countries gave up civil rights in the name of nationalism. Both countries exercise their military strength in foreign countries explaining that they were needed to liberate oppressed people. And these are just points off the top of my head. How much detail do you want me to dig out supporting these claims? It's not hard to find the information.

As far as I can tell, the only people who don't see the similarities between the Bush administration and Hitler's administration (remember that he didn't work alone) are blinding themselves to history in the name of nationalism.

And keeping with the original thread, I really want to see this movie. It's been one of my favourite comic books for a long time and I'm anxious to see what's been done with it in the cinema.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
Both countries gave up civil rights in the name of nationalism? Pretty sure I can say whatever the hell I want except maybe there's a bomb in the building or i want to slit your throat with a knife without fear of being thrown in jail or shot.

We both exercise our military strength in foreign countries liberating oppressed people? Pretty damn sure Saddam Insane was oppressing those people. Pretty damn sure we aren't taking over the country and making it a part of america. Did we do it 100% out of the goodness of our hearts? Of course not. We do a helluva a lot that we don't get much back from, but I dare you to name a country that does more for the crap it gets back from it.

Also gubi, i'd be interested to hear this conspiracy theory you've obviously decided as fact.
Btw an example is all the hurricane and earthquake relief money we give out to countries and end up getting nothing back. Doesn't even seem to help americas rep except with the third world countries we're helping. I support helping them but big deal if they like us. =/
I just love it when people use the excuse that Saddam was an insane dictator oppressing his people. Regurgitated propoganda just tells me at how easily some people are led and find it to ignore what's happening in the rest of the world.

I'm not going to disagree that Saddam was a bad leader and that there were serious human rights violations going on under his rule. What about China? Why don't we invade them and help them with their human rights violations? Oh yeah... they're one of our biggest trading partners in the world... not to mention the fact that they hold approximately 50% of the US debt.

The UN was created to step in and help the countries of the world respect each others sovereign rights. The US took it upon themselves to invade Iraq even after the UN agreed that Iraq didn't stand out as a particular threat to other countries. The action of breaking away from a global council is a pretty good way of thumbing your nose at the rest of the world.

And then you look at the charity given to other countries in the form of disaster relief. Most of the money you are referring to comes from independant charities as opposed to the government. Money comes from the Red Cross and the Salvation Army and hundreds of smaller organizations of charitable individuals that show how great the heart of the American people can be.

Going back to your basic civil rights I'm talking about your right to privacy. It doesn't matter if you're talking about muffin making or bomb building, having the right to talk about things in the privacy of your own home is a basic right. Once you give in on a single rights issue the others are easier to take away.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
Now I really want to see this movie.

Zagatto I agree with your arguments. But comparing Bush directly to Hitler goes way to far. You can however compare Nazi Germany to what's happening in the US now. There are sooo many similarities. But I doubt the government would kill every Muslim in the world.

But on a personal level you really can't compare the two. Hitler was a genious, an evil one but extremely smart non the less. Bush is a powerhungry pupet and an idiot.
elcoholic Wrote:Now I really want to see this movie.

Zagatto I agree with your arguments. But comparing Bush directly to Hitler goes way to far. You can however compare Nazi Germany to what's happening in the US now. There are sooo many similarities. But I doubt the government would kill every Muslim in the world.

But on a personal level you really can't compare the two. Hitler was a genious, an evil one but extremely smart non the less. Bush is a powerhungry pupet and an idiot.

Bush the powerhungry and idiotic puppet interesting but I have to agree with you on that. Though my reasons for viewing him as an idiot are most likely quite different but still it doesn't change anything.
[Image: IA.jpg]

'The depths of my soul are rooted in dark thoughts. But than we all have darkness and light in us. If we are all light on the outside we are nothing but darkness underneath. There comes a time when the darkness must come to light.'
- Shinobu Sensui -

It is only when you refuse to give in with all your heart that you begin to transcend your humanity. - Alucard

Trade List
R1 Collection
HK Collection
Zagatto Wrote:What about China?

What about North Korea? Not a very good idea is it? Considering their military power. They just might take the war into American soil. It's funny how America usually only attacks countries that don't have the ability to take the war all the way back to America. The fight is always fought in somebody else's backyard.
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
Andromeda18_ Wrote:What about North Korea? Not a very good idea is it? Considering their military power. They just might take the war into American soil. It's funny how America usually only attacks countries that don't have the ability to take the war all the way back to America. The fight is always fought in somebody else's backyard.

It would be foolish for any country to purposely take a war into their own homeland knowing what happens that's why.
[Image: IA.jpg]

'The depths of my soul are rooted in dark thoughts. But than we all have darkness and light in us. If we are all light on the outside we are nothing but darkness underneath. There comes a time when the darkness must come to light.'
- Shinobu Sensui -

It is only when you refuse to give in with all your heart that you begin to transcend your humanity. - Alucard

Trade List
R1 Collection
HK Collection