Finally: PS3 info and about time
Blight Wrote:It?ll be ten years before my broke ass even considers getting an HDTV.

No worries man, I'm in the same boat you are in. Rob just has too much money to know what to do with and can write shit up like this for people that are interested in HD technology. It will be a long time before I get a PS3 anyway, nothing has impressed me with the new systems yet. I'm too old school for all the pretty graphics that are out right now.
http://www.aboutheroes.com Best comic book podcast!!! Come and join in!
hdcp support is important with getting new monitors as well.Vista supports it(most likely hacked in 2 seconds)
Most likely the ps3 is just a little bit too far ahead of itself.To run full quality playback you need hdmi 1.3.It isnt due in receivers etc till late this year as far as i know.It should help ensure good quality output late in the consoles life.
Once you make the shift to high definition or use large screens you really start to notice quality.The ps2 is an absolute shocker.While its graphics hold up on small displays using it with a projector really shows how crap it is compared to the other consoles.The type of cabling and quality is also important.Having a digital output is a smart move IMO and not just for movie playback.
The difference cabling does alone can be like watching hk anime or divx and r1 dvd.Getting expensive/high quality component cables can be an eye opener for the first time with dvds.Im always afraid when i see how thin the cabling is for console component cabling and wonder about quality.I guess thats one of the downsides to having custom connections like ps2.
Using hdmi/dvi its a digital connection.The theory being that its 1s and 0s and as long as the signal gets through its always the same quality.As well as keeping things digital instead of having to convert it to analog and potentially lose a little more quality.
masamune arcade..........still in development
[Image: masasig6xh.jpg]
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Really?... Maybe I should go to Holland during the World Cup... Visit some sites, buy some cheap TVs... Big Grin
Anyway, that information was interesting for me as well as I don't want to spend a load of money on the wrong TV.

Portugal's in the WC aren't they? Then you should see the same bargains in your country. Its just a good time to buy a tv. If people were planning on buying a tv soon then they'll most likely do it right before the WC and cerainly not after. They've researced it over here. Around the WC tv sales like double.
Just adding to all the recent ps3 news that is out there. It has now been confirmed that the ps3 will be able to play blu-ray games and movies from any region. Then again, this is due to the fact that blu-ray discs won't be region coded.

It is also official that it WILL come with a HD built in. Due to every single game requiring it. This was announced yesterday (even though everyone already knew it would come packed with one)
[Image: 468x60_gumgum.gif]
What about dvd movies, will it play movies from any region?
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
desfunk Wrote:due to the fact that blu-ray discs won't be region coded.

That's good news if it applies to movies... I never saw the point in stopping people buying official discs from another area... All it means is that they would buy bootlegs that would actually play. Maybe they've finally realised that.
gubi-gubi Wrote:That's good news if it applies to movies... I never saw the point in stopping people buying official discs from another area... All it means is that they would buy bootlegs that would actually play. Maybe they've finally realised that.

Well, I just found out regular dvds will not be region free so they haven't really realised anything it seems.
At least the PS3 will be region free when it comes to games which opens up a world of possibilities!
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697656p1.html
Unfortunatly bluray movies won't be regionfree. Games will but developers can still decide to lock it to a region.

They're fighting for support in the format wars and you won't get any movie company on board with region free movies. Sometimes the dvd is released in the US while the movie just opened in our cinema's.
elcoholic Wrote:Unfortunatly bluray movies won't be regionfree. Games will but developers can still decide to lock it to a region.

They're fighting for support in the format wars and you won't get any movie company on board with region free movies. Sometimes the dvd is released in the US while the movie just opened in our cinema's.

desfunk Wrote:Just adding to all the recent ps3 news that is out there. It has now been confirmed that the ps3 will be able to play blu-ray games and movies from any region. Then again, this is due to the fact that blu-ray discs won't be region coded.

Well, Desfunk was the one who said both blu-ray games and movies would be region free. I myself have read an article about games being region free so perhaps blu-ray movies will indeed be region free as well. I honestly don't know. Maybe Desfunk could tell us where he got this information.
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Well, Desfunk was the one who said both blu-ray games and movies would be region free. I myself have read an article about games being region free so perhaps blu-ray movies will indeed be region free as well. I honestly don't know. Maybe Desfunk could tell us where he got this information.

I forget if it was Blu-Ray, HDDVD, or both but I think it was Blue Ray. What the story was is that there was less regions just forgot what they were exactly.
[Image: IA.jpg]

'The depths of my soul are rooted in dark thoughts. But than we all have darkness and light in us. If we are all light on the outside we are nothing but darkness underneath. There comes a time when the darkness must come to light.'
- Shinobu Sensui -

It is only when you refuse to give in with all your heart that you begin to transcend your humanity. - Alucard

Trade List
R1 Collection
HK Collection
Yeah well regions arnt really needed except for languages with the new format.Even then they sould be able to fit alot on one disk.Hd is a new video format that is the same everywhere eg 720p@60hz where as pal and ntsc run at both different resolutions and hz.Alot of older tvs cant run both pal and ntsc whereas all hd tvs can run hd material.
It will be interesting to see what they do with regions.In new zealand its always cheaper to import movies and games from overseas.
Having dvds encoded with regions is stupid nowadays. I doubt there are a whole lot of people that would be buying dvds from other regions but wouldn't have bought a dvd player that can play them anyways. I have a few dvds from australia. Would be nice if I didn't have to put a stupid code in every time I wanted to watch them. Bah just realized when firefox deleted all my bookmarks my bookmark with how to do everything with my dvd player went with it lol.
Stores pretty much only sell all region dvd players in nz.
I'm not sure exactly where I read the news. But it was confirmed that the ps3 would be all region. The thing is, it would have to be, since ages ago they announced that blu-ray would have no region coding as well (they may have changed it).

Either way, with the PS3 being all region, it won't matter IF a game is coded. Since the system itself will be able to play everything.

Another interesting tid-bit. It seems that some online retailers are starting to list Blu-Ray players. They have them listed at some INSANE prices (some higher then $1000). Even more reason to own the ps3 as your 'blu-ray' player as well. That is, if the console stays in the $500-$600 range that they keep hinting at.
[Image: 468x60_gumgum.gif]
And this is actually what has pissed some people off in the Blu-ray side of the house. Is because Sony will be undercutting them with the PS3 that will play blu-ray discs and Sony will also recoop the costs because they will be getting money from game sales with the console.