Nintendo?s secret out
Well, the controller has been unveiled. All I can say is it is truly unique and will have to be experienced before anyone can see what?s up with it. But here it is if you don?t know.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651301p1.html

Upon seeing it, I was totally like WTF, but after reading the article, I can see major possibilities in it. Possibilities that could change the direction of the gaming industry? but won?t. Damn, I don?t want Nintendo to bow down to being main stream but I am really afraid they will die this generation because they become more and more off beat. The controller can be absolutely awesome if it works right, and the precision of the control for FPS will surpass any other controller I can think of (besides possibly a gun in rail shooters, but that isn?t what I am talking about). But it makes me wonder if perception will kill it. I think people are going to have a hard time accepting such radical change when the industry is moving more and more toward uniformity of concept. How could a game be ported to the revolution from the 360 or PS3? Will games have to be designed from the ground up as Revolution titles? To me this raises more questions than answers, and I think these questions can only be answered by holding and using the controller myself and waiting for the rest of the world?s reaction.
[Image: kakashianbubanner3psdva9.jpg]
"OMFG, let me rush onto my NOAHS ARC!" by JunkieJoe
I'm exactly like you, WTF! I don't now if I'll be comfortable sitting in my sofa with a remote in my hand making all kinds of weird moves. I don't think you'll be able to relax while using this thing in a fps. It'll become a stressfull and maybe even painfull way of playing games since you'll be sitting upright with your hand raised the entire time you'll be playing, or so I imagine. Its a cool concept but not for the main controller. It should just be an add-on like eyetoy is.

I too fear this might be the downfall of nintendo in the home console market. They'll get 0 third party support again. I'm going to get it anyway (assuming they'll give it a nice prize) just to try it out and for the couple of great games nintendo will make for it.

This is my first reaction since I hadn't seen the thing till I saw it here. I'll have to think about it a bit more to say if I'll like it. I'm going hunting for more nintendo news now. See if he revealed anything else about the revolution in that press conference.

EDIT: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

This article has some more info, especially an explanation of the demo's that were shown. I'm starting to like what I'm reading and understanding the posibilities. But I'm still fearing the masses won't dig it.
No matter what i can't make a conciences choice weither i will like it or not till i get one of those in my hands.. its just way to different then anything i have seen before.. or delt with.. So this will be interesting.. but either way i am sure 3rd party people will make "standard" controllers anyways.. So don't leave that out either..
What. The. Fuck.

While it could possible be cool this makes me not want to buy a revolution at the moment... and I was pretty set on the idea before. They better have standard controllers available. I don't want innovation. I just want a damn nice controller that fits in my hand well!
There just don't seem to be enough easily accessed buttons either. The gamecube controller was odd enough to make people not want to play a lotta games like shooters on the consoles. I think this new controller is going to guarantee Nintendos failures in those same genres only 10x worse than they are doing so now...
Quote: Eurogamer: How is the controller going to work with games that aren't designed specifically for the Revolution - multi-platform titles and so on?

Jim Merrick: We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded.

So there's that option - but even while it's inserted into the classic-style shell, the freehand controller will still be able to sense positioning and so on, so there are more options too

That's how they solve that problem.

I'm wondering how you'll be able to make a 180 degree turn in a fps without breaking your wrist right now.
elcoholic Wrote:That's how they solve that problem.

I'm wondering how you'll be able to make a 180 degree turn in a fps without breaking your wrist right now.

Make 90 degree turn of your hand = 180 degrees on the screen. I think (actually hope is more accurate) there will be some kinda adjustments you can make to the hardware to customize the sensitivity to your liking.
Well, its already been said I agree I can not totally decide until I play it, it could have lots of potential, but I think its the dumbest A** controller design I have ever seen, and this is coming from huge nintendo fan.

They really did not have to weird out just come up with a decent controller that looks a little different from the others, nowadays you need at least two sticks and a pad to work with a variety of games, and the tilt thing is a pathetic idea, I dont see how you play a fps properly on this just like the cube controller is bad for fps.
One word
Fugly
Two words
Pug Fugly
Three words
Fugliest Controller EVER!(Congrats Atari Jaguar you no longer have the crown in that category)

Now all that being said. If it works Nintendo will have a big feather in thier cap, but if it doesnt, then its over for them as a independent. I don't think they can realy affored to lose big in another round of the console wars. If they do then it seems like they will fall to the same fate as their once great nemesis Sega. This is risky on thier part because this controler will be hit or miss, and a miss means a system doomed by its controler.
That PS3 boomerang is looking a lot better to me now.
In dis country u gota make da money first, den wen u get da money u get da power, and den wen u get da power, den u get da woman
I will disagree with you here i dont think that it will be the end.. I mean currently right now nintendo isnt third by much in world wide console sales.. Xbox only has them by a few million compared to ps2 blowing xbox and nintendo out of the water..

Also as someone else already reported here they will have a normal controller also that will work in conjunction to this one.. so they are not putting everything into this.. I think its unique and i will have to see hwo it goes.. though the one thing that i do like i can put my heads in any position that i want when using the joystick instead of on those small ass controllers like the PS2
All I say is I hope they make converters for normal controllers, I dont wanna use that crap.
aka EngrishMajor
see this is proof that people are scared of change.. to me it seems like most people won't even give the controller a try.. i will attempt to give it a try and then base my judgement after that. Because you never know what you will do or think unless you have experianced something or go through something.
Who would want to game with a tv remote control with some gyro thing-a-ma-bob attached to it anyway? I think nintendo fell off the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down...

Also revolution is suppose to be backwards compatiable, you play old games with that thing to? I certianly hope not.
aka EngrishMajor
well i think its quite obious...the fine people at nintendo have lost their minds...i was thinking about buying a revolution because it will be backward compatible with all of their other systems, and will be the cheapist one on the market...when i found out that it isnt coming with a stock hard drive and the game downloads where going to be 10 bucks or so, i quickly lost interest...just buying the hard drive will bring it up to the price levels of the other systems...and id much rather just keep uing emulators for older games, and get much more of a kick out of the cell prossessor and the ps3
odin0425 Wrote:when i found out that it isnt coming with a stock hard drive and the game downloads where going to be 10 bucks or so, i quickly lost interest...just buying the hard drive will bring it up to the price levels of the other systems

And where did this bit of information come from, cause I have scanned the net over for any information on next-gen Nintendo and nothing about anything you said has come up. So in others words, quote or it's BS.