Poll: What do you think of the dub voices overall for Naruto?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Awesome
4.88%
2 4.88%
Great
9.76%
4 9.76%
ok
14.63%
6 14.63%
Pretty bad
36.59%
15 36.59%
The most terrible thing you have ever heard in your life
34.15%
14 34.15%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What do you think of the dub of Naruto?
I don't think it was that bad. I thought the voices *themselves* were all competent, except maybe for sakura's. The third's voice was very good, even. The Pronunciations, well, that's something they'll have to get used to ver time - it's not something you can automatically know, and if they were going for voice matching, well, it's hard to get both thigns at once.

They could probably have done a little better - at a whole lot more cost.

I'd give it 7/10 or so, 9/10 voices, 5/10 pronunciation, 8/10 modifications (they just took out blood and "blackscreened" a couple of the scenes.)
VIZ you have rapped one of my favorite shows.

I hate you die!!!!!!!

However naruto's VAs are not the worst i have heard, so i just voted pretty bad
Wow, just watched the clip, thats just bad. Im going to cry in the corner now.
hakken Wrote:8/10 modifications (they just took out blood and "blackscreened" a couple of the scenes.)

yeah, but they also took out every single nosebleed in there. then they go and keep the characters wiping their noses or stuffing keenex up there. its so unbelievably stupid cause nobody is going to get it.
[Image: kogepansigcopy.jpg]
vegeta76 Wrote:yeah, but they also took out every single nosebleed in there. then they go and keep the characters wiping their noses or stuffing keenex up there. its so unbelievably stupid cause nobody is going to get it.
I saw Iruka's in the second episode, that was so retarded I couldn't stop laughing . . . Big Grin

But yeah, alot of people, espeically kids won't get that. It's there own damn fault for watching the dub like little fanboys and girls. (And then claiming they're fans) ...So freaking many in my school its unfit, and these people are teenagers. T_T
./"Hey you, you only love me when i'm down. F*ck me, play yourself we'll mess around. On you, gazebo life you got me down. My pool, swim in this place and you'll drown. ~The Trews - "Antigonish Song"
[Image: guts20banner201smaller7jf.jpg]
Made By Blight ^
I can't imagine it's going to have the same popularity it has online. (Thinking in proportions here) I don't think that dubbed viewers can get the same message we got the first time. As such, it shouldn't catch on like it has in the online community
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
Quote:yeah, but they also took out every single nosebleed in there. then they go and keep the characters wiping their noses or stuffing keenex up there. its so unbelievably stupid cause nobody is going to get it.

They won't understand what's up with the kleenex, but the bug-eyes are a clear enough indication. I don't think much meaning will really be lost.
hakken Wrote:I don't think much meaning will really be lost.

Literal, black and white meaning, maybe not but inferences and the structured continuity of the creative aspects die because of it. The way things are said and presented is 99.9% of any form of entertainment. Start screwing with that and it doesn't matter if they mean they face the same face value, the power and perspective falls out of the words and pictures that way

Edit: on a side note it blows my mind that someone actually voted Awesome. What the bleeding hell. I know it is someone’s opinion, but it presents a strong argument that some opinions don't deserve to be voiced. An ignorant one I wouldn’t ever join because of my first amendment evangelism, but strong none the less.
[Image: kakashianbubanner3psdva9.jpg]
"OMFG, let me rush onto my NOAHS ARC!" by JunkieJoe
I certainately wouldn't call it "awesome". Maybe "good". But I don't think in most cases of the Naruto dub that the edits are going to change the meaning (or nuances) any more than the fansubs i've seen so far have.
hakken Wrote:I certainately wouldn't call it "awesome". Maybe "good". But I don't think in most cases of the Naruto dub that the edits are going to change the meaning (or nuances) any more than the fansubs i've seen so far have.

What you just said is retarded, because the Fan-subbers don't cut scenes. All they do is try to interoperate what is going on dialog wise, they don't screw with the video.
Quote:Literal, black and white meaning, maybe not but inferences and the structured continuity of the creative aspects die because of it. The way things are said and presented is 99.9% of any form of entertainment. Start screwing with that and it doesn't matter if they mean they face the same face value, the power and perspective falls out of the words and pictures that way
Bad language or translation can mess with meaning just as much as editing the video.
Really. And which sub group mistranslated Naruto mr. master of language. I thought that might be what you meant when blight responded but I thought it was just as stupid.
Personally, I found Dattebayo's to be lacking, though honestly Inane's recent manga scanlations have certainately been subpar. I'm grateful they *exist*, but I'm saying that both formats can be suboptimal - dubbing/editing isn't the only way to change meaning, nor is messing with the language in subtitles. It's difficult to compare the two because they require different timing formats - the dubbing is much more difficult to get right because you have to pace mouths to character voices as well as retain the meaning, but the subtitling has a little more time to be read (and so tends to be able to get more information in). Effort-wise, I think the dub took a whole lot more time, money, resources, and willingness to execute than the fansubs. Granted, in either case it's difficult to translate beacuse some words do not have direct translation (or, at least, easy direct translation), like the accent 'dattebayo' itself, even; I've heard a plethora of opinions as to whether it's more of an accent, a phrase, an exclamation, or an idea.

The problem with their showing of naruto is that the U.S. has harsher censor standards than japan, especially when it comes to sexuality. (U.S. is bass-ackwards when it comes to that kind of thing). It's not particularly fair to peg the problems with one thing or another on the dubbing studio, the recording studio, the producer, or in fact the VA's themselves, because while they may have actually done the deed, it's likely to be necessary to get the anime published at all on normal TV.
hakken Wrote:because while they may have actually done the deed, it's likely to be necessary to get the anime published at all on normal TV.

And this is the shining spot where the rift in our thoughts emerges. I couldn't care less if it makes it on T.V., I just want it done right. They failed on the quality level, to succeed on the business level. In that respect, they played the hand the wanted to, and said F-you to every one who wanted to see an anime, rather than a week ass cartoon.
I would not qualify the english dub of naruto as a "weak ass cartoon". It's still an anime, just not quite as authentic as an unedited version might have been. And in either case, I understand your want to "have it done right" - but if you don't care whether it makes it onto TV, then why even bother discussing the TV version? What I'm saying is that IF it were to make it onto TV, it would HAVE to have most of the edits that it currently has. So if you wanted something that was perfect, why look for the TV version - just wait for the unedited, or keep watching the way you've obviously been able to. The fact that it's now accessible to a whole lot more people isn't a *bad* thing, even if what they're accessing is, in your opinion, an inferior product.

Yes, the topic of the thread is "what do you think of the dub of naruto" - but consider, if you take for granted that if they're going to show this on U.S. TV, it's going to have edits, which will inevitably include "the power and perspective falls out of the words and pictures that way" -type ramifications. That taken into account, I think that they did a good job. Not an awesome, nor an excellent job, just a good job. Well worth watching - it's still naruto, even if some of the nuances are missing.

And if they hadn't released it, kids in the U.S. and canada wouldn't have anywhere near as easy access to it, and merchandise (specifically the videogames, imo) wouldn't probably have made it to the states.

The internet creates an elite - a group of superinformed people who are privileged with second or third-hand, mostly unedited information. This fact shouldn't impede on everyone's else right to information.