I've lost it all....
Man that is horrible, I'm sorry this happened to you. At least it was a force of nature that took some of your stuff, not your ex wife. You are right, Don Rosa is the motherfucking man!
http://www.aboutheroes.com Best comic book podcast!!! Come and join in!
I'm not trying to pour salt on your wounds here or anything, but this just brings me to something, mainly how dependant we as humans get on objects and things. I'd be distraught too if something like that happens, but I'm just trying to wonder - is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I mean, we are gonna die one day or another and I don't think we'll be buried with our possessions, so why do we care so much about them in life? lol, sorry to sound so melodramatic - your topic just made me think how much I'd hate for such a thing to happen, then it got me into thinking - why it would be so bad.
when you deal with contractors and or insurance, youll need a list of everything you lost as well as the prices you paid for them-( dont get into the fact some of them are HK rips )Photos of the damaged goods will be a major plus - yes a few of your items are probably irreplaceable , but the contractors insurance ( or your homeowners )-will not likely pay crazy prices for stuff- be happy if most of this gets straightened out- then keep your stuff in rubber maid containers from now on -- about 5 bucks at most walmarts.. again i am very sorry for your loss -
I was able to speak with the contractor today. He's been feeling really horrible about the whole thing. I guess he knows how I feel about the whole thing, because not too long ago he had a storage unit he was renting for his collections flood. He lost about $89,000 worth of his things. The insurance company gave him $15,000. He doesn't want to even deal with the insurance company. He said he would pay me back what I was out directly out of his pocket. I understand why he wants to do it that way. He doesn't want his premiums to rise, and he doesn't want this to go on his record. I don't care as long as he makes things right (which I really believe that he will) and gives me what my things are worth.
?The louder he proclaimed his honor, the faster we counted the spoons.? - Ralph Waldo Emerson
http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/sere...&linkID=36
animeshop Wrote:I'm not trying to pour salt on your wounds here or anything, but this just brings me to something, mainly how dependant we as humans get on objects and things. I'd be distraught too if something like that happens, but I'm just trying to wonder - is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I mean, we are gonna die one day or another and I don't think we'll be buried with our possessions, so why do we care so much about them in life? lol, sorry to sound so melodramatic - your topic just made me think how much I'd hate for such a thing to happen, then it got me into thinking - why it would be so bad.

Kakoi, I can really feel your pain. Just thinking that something like that might happen to my collection makes me feel depressed. And it's not just a matter of money, even when things are replaceable, the memories and feelings attached to those specific things are important too. I understand your point of view Animeshop, the same thoughts have crossed my mind several times yet even if I'm very attached to my things I'm not at all a greedy person, I don't desire to be absurdly rich and if I was I know I'd give a lot of that money to charity and research. I've learned to take pleasure in the little things and one of the little things that gives me a great deal of pleasure is reading and all the emotions that come to me while reading remain attached to the books and manga I have and that's what makes them unique to me. I don't feel guilty about this sort of materialism, I'm not hurting anyone by being this way and it contributes to my happiness. When the time comes for me to die I'll just die, the things I own don't even fit into that equation.
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Kakoi, I can really feel your pain. Just thinking that something like that might happen to my collection makes me feel depressed. And it's not just a matter of money, even when things are replaceable, the memories and feelings attached to those specific things are important too. I understand your point of view Animeshop, the same thoughts have crossed my mind several times yet even if I'm very attached to my things I'm not at all a greedy person, I don't desire to be absurdly rich and if I was I know I'd give a lot of that money to charity and research. I've learned to take pleasure in the little things and one of the little things that gives me a great deal of pleasure is reading and all the emotions that come to me while reading remain attached to the books and manga I have and that's what makes them unique to me. I don't feel guilty about this sort of materialism, I'm not hurting anyone by being this way and it contributes to my happiness. When the time comes for me to die I'll just die, the things I own don't even fit into that equation.

The attached feelings are the biggest part. Losing presents from relatives that half left this world behind is in many ways another detachment from that relative, and you feel a little bit of the sadness of the loss of them again. You don't realize how much an object means not by what it is, but what it represents, until it no longer has that value for one reason or another.
[Image: kakashianbubanner3psdva9.jpg]
"OMFG, let me rush onto my NOAHS ARC!" by JunkieJoe
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Kakoi, I can really feel your pain. Just thinking that something like that might happen to my collection makes me feel depressed. And it's not just a matter of money, even when things are replaceable, the memories and feelings attached to those specific things are important too. I understand your point of view Animeshop, the same thoughts have crossed my mind several times yet even if I'm very attached to my things I'm not at all a greedy person, I don't desire to be absurdly rich and if I was I know I'd give a lot of that money to charity and research. I've learned to take pleasure in the little things and one of the little things that gives me a great deal of pleasure is reading and all the emotions that come to me while reading remain attached to the books and manga I have and that's what makes them unique to me. I don't feel guilty about this sort of materialism, I'm not hurting anyone by being this way and it contributes to my happiness. When the time comes for me to die I'll just die, the things I own don't even fit into that equation.

Reading this makes me want to cry all over again.

You've really summed up exactly how I feel about the whole situation. The whole thing makes me feel ill.
?The louder he proclaimed his honor, the faster we counted the spoons.? - Ralph Waldo Emerson
http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/sere...&linkID=36
kakoi_sugoi_yama Wrote:Reading this makes me want to cry all over again.

That was not my intention! Sad So sorry. Sad Sad
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]