Yo! I am new here
Blight Wrote:That would completely defeat the purpose of religion. It isn't about what people think or feel or want to do, it is about a certain way to live your life and you must be the one to change.

I totally disagree with that. Religion can totally be changed. If it couldn't then our society would be no where by now. It has changed drastically over the years. Not everything is taken word for word in the Bible. If people did that the world would be crazy. It's full of contradictions yet people let them go saying the people were different those days yet anything about being gay is taken word for word. You even said yourself society creates religion so why cant it change it?

Andromeda18_ Wrote:Now we're back to a time where people see it as a bad thing.

Actually we are now in general accepting it again when you look at society and laws ect. Not everyone does but the general view is that is accepted. It's alot better in the UK than the USA at the moment but laws are changing.
gubi-gubi Wrote:I totally disagree with that. Religion can totally be changed. If it couldn't then our society would be no where by now. It has changed drastically over the years. Not everything is taken word for word in the Bible. If people did that the world would be crazy. It's full of contradictions yet people let them go saying the people were different those days yet anything about being gay is taken word for word. You even said yourself society creates religion so why cant it change it?

Upon thinking deeper this statement is also true, sort of. Religions have changed, and new religions have been forged that take the name of the old ones. But maybe religion is a constantly evolving thing. The more I think about it the more possibilities seem to arise. My thinking outside of just accepting things as true in the religious arena is still pretty immature, so I guess I'm not totally sure what it is that I believe anymore. This sure is a stimulating discusion. Smile
[Image: kakashianbubanner3psdva9.jpg]
"OMFG, let me rush onto my NOAHS ARC!" by JunkieJoe
Blight Wrote:Upon thinking deeper this statement is also true, sort of. Religions have changed, and new religions have been forged that take the name of the old ones. But maybe religion is a constantly evolving thing. The more I think about it the more possibilities seem to arise. My thinking outside of just accepting things as true in the religious arena is still pretty immature, so I guess I'm not totally sure what it is that I believe anymore. This sure is a stimulating discusion. Smile

Religion is a very complicated thing that raises many questions and many concerns for people with claims of hell and all that. It would make for a huge discusion even with very few people...
[Image: IA.jpg]

'The depths of my soul are rooted in dark thoughts. But than we all have darkness and light in us. If we are all light on the outside we are nothing but darkness underneath. There comes a time when the darkness must come to light.'
- Shinobu Sensui -

It is only when you refuse to give in with all your heart that you begin to transcend your humanity. - Alucard

Trade List
R1 Collection
HK Collection
Puppet Master Wrote:Religion is a very complicated thing that raises many questions and many concerns for people with claims of hell and all that. It would make for a huge discusion even with very few people...

Yes as we have proven here, lol. I also have aunts and uncles who are Pastors and I had a similar discussion with them about Christianity not believing in homosexuality, they said it's the idea that's wrong and it's not what God intended, but what about those kids who are born with extra chromosomes and are both boy and girl? Is it so wrong for one of them to be brought up as a girl, maybe a girl wasn't the right choice and that individual enjoys girls for a companion rather than a boy? They shouldn?t be shunned for that something they didn?t have a choice in. Maybe it wouldn?t be such a bad thing to have a modern day Christianity teaching; it could be the new chapter in religion.
Exactly I have a problem with the whole 'God wants us to have kids' kind of statements... What about people born infertile? Are they no longer a valid part of society? Humans have more use than to recreate. That totally ignores all the other skills we have that make us stand out compared to other animals... Damn this IS getting stimulating isnt it lol! Big Grin
gubi-gubi Wrote:Actually we are now in general accepting it again when you look at society and laws ect. Not everyone does but the general view is that is accepted. It's alot better in the UK than the USA at the moment but laws are changing.

How I wish you were right! It's true that in the the more industrialized countries homosexuality is accepted in a general way. However, only 25% of the world's countries are industrialized. The other 75% are poor countries in which religion and tradition are still very important and homosexuality is seen as a bad thing. Even in many areas of the USA homosexuality is still perceived as a terrible sin, and people hate gays. You live in the UK and things are certainly much better there, they're also much better here in Portugal than they were some years ago but unfortunately that's not the reality in most of the world.

gubi-gubi Wrote:Exactly I have a problem with the whole 'God wants us to have kids' kind of statements... What about people born infertile? Are they no longer a valid part of society? Humans have more use than to recreate. That totally ignores all the other skills we have that make us stand out compared to other animals... Damn this IS getting stimulating isnt it lol! Big Grin

Well, actually, we do have in us a biological instinct to procreate, as have all animals. However, even animals who live basically to eat, sleep and procriate display homosexual behaviour. Ultimately they'll mate with an animal of the opposite sex in order to perpetuate their gene pool but they also try mating with animals of the same sex. It's the same thing with us humans, the only difference being that we can choose not to have children, we can overcome our instinct. So yeah, saying that "God wants us to have children" is absurd because then why would we have the ability to choose not to have them?
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
If someone is gay, it doesn't matter to me at all. Seeing guys kiss sorta freaks me out, so I stand as do what you want, just not in front of me.
[Image: 4c1.jpg]
^^Made by Blight

"If teachers were paid more, we'd be able to afford better drugs." -Eikichi Onizuka
onizuka17711 Wrote:If someone is gay, it doesn't matter to me at all. Seeing guys kiss sorta freaks me out, so I stand as do what you want, just not in front of me.

If everyone says that though then we are back to square one where it's pushed underground again.

Andromeda18_ Wrote:How I wish you were right! It's true that in the the more industrialized countries homosexuality is accepted in a general way. However, only 25% of the world's countries are industrialized. The other 75% are poor countries in which religion and tradition are still very important and homosexuality is seen as a bad thing. Even in many areas of the USA homosexuality is still perceived as a terrible sin, and people hate gays. You live in the UK and things are certainly much better there, they're also much better here in Portugal than they were some years ago but unfortunately that's not the reality in most of the world.

Yeh I suppose but by those rules then it has never been accecpted ever as it was only really ancient Greek or Roman societies that you can actually say where totally open to it. (I mean all accepeted and took part). All other occurences you cant really say where 'gay'. I mean stuff like the Japanese took feminine boys and dressed them as girls and sent them to war to have sex with the soldiers and some old tribes (African?) making teenagers drink the sperm of the elders to 'take their wisdom'... In general now its probably more accepted than ever in the history of the earth... (All at the same time I mean)
onizuka17711 Wrote:If someone is gay, it doesn't matter to me at all. Seeing guys kiss sorta freaks me out, so I stand as do what you want, just not in front of me.

It freaks you out because it's something you're not used to seeing but if you keep having that attitude towards it you'll always be freaked out by it.
gubi-gubi Wrote:If everyone says that though then we are back to square one where it's pushed underground again.

No it doesn't have to be, I feel the same way Onizuka feels. Like I said before most people don't like PDA of any kind.

I've got friends who are Gay, and I don't mind the fact that they like being with the same sex, what is, for lack of a better word, "gross" is seeing them display their affection for one another. It's the same way with a guy and a girl; you don't want to watch your friend and her boyfriend make out in front of you, that's not cool. Or for me to make out with my boyfriend in front of anyone, it's wrong and well gross because people don't want to see that.
gubi-gubi Wrote:In general now its probably more accepted than ever in the history of the earth...

I suppose you're right. However, to me this is a time of both light and darkness. We are more open minded than ever when it comes to some issues but much less open minded than we used to be centuries ago when it comes to other issues.
daisyflower2003 Wrote:No it doesn't have to be, I feel the same way Onizuka feels. Like I said before no one likes PDA of any kind.

I agree but thats not what hes saying. Alot of people dont mind seeing a straight couple kiss goodbye in the street but if it was a gay couple they would complain but say 'its ok behind closed doors'...
daisyflower2003 Wrote:It's the same way with a guy and a girl; you don't want to watch your friend and her boyfriend make out in front of you, that's not cool. Or for me to make out with my boyfriend in front of anyone, it's wrong and well gross because people don't want to see that.

It doesn't really bother me to tell you the truth.
Andromeda18_ Wrote:I suppose you're right. However, to me this is a time of both light and darkness. We are more open minded than ever when it comes to some issues but much less open minded than we used to be centuries ago when it comes to other issues.

Exactly I totally agree things are FAR from perfect... It's not even an official basic human right to be gay (It got thrown out by religious countries)
gubi-gubi Wrote:I agree but thats not what hes saying. Alot of people dont mind seeing a straight couple kiss goodbye in the street but if it was a gay couple they would complain but say 'its ok behind closed doors'...

That's how I understood it as well.