Questions about imports
I spend too much money on video games to be able to buy R1's but if I could afford them, I would buy them.
I just got a negative for "bashing imports". I don't need to know who it was, but you're a retard. (I hope that isn't a personal threat since I don't know who it is... lol) I suggested buying the R1's for series you like to support the companies. I didn't say IMPORTS SUCK AND YOU DO TOO FOR BUYING THEM! If you think i'm bashing them because I said they are illegal.. THEY ARE ILLEGAL. I still buy them for series i'm not sure if i'll like, but I also acknowledge that they are illegal and what i'm doing is stealing.

Actually i'm rebuying the Initial D superbox. I was gonna buy the R1's for the superior video and subtitle quality, but I just can't bring myself to shell out cash for what Tokyopop has done to the series. At least they were smart enough to add the "Classic" choice. Then again, they were also dumb enough to add only 3 episodes per disc. The only possible thing they could have done worse with that release was remove the "Classic" option.
elcoholic Wrote:Read the FAQ in the anime discussion part of the forum. Its stickied in the top of the page.

They are illegal but most of us don't care because the official product is to expensive with to little eps. per disc (6-8 discs for R1 releases vs. 3 on HK). Customs wont hassle you. There has never been anyone getting caught or had their order confiscated as far as I know. The difference between this product and the official ones are hardly noticable since the packaging looks very proffesional and if your not into anime you won't know they are bootlegs.

Don't let Cid scare you :p

Don't let Elcoholic pretend he's justified in buying HK's. He's not. I'm not either, but I still do occasionally.
-spike- Wrote:I spend too much money on video games to be able to buy R1's but if I could afford them, I would buy them.

Ya know, I used to also lol. I don't play games as much as I used to though. Well, console games anyways. I play day of defeat every day on my computer but half life mods havn't cost me a dime since I got half life for christmas however many years ago it came out. The only console games I own atm are Gundam: Zeonic Front, Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon (both of which i'm selling very cheap on my trade thread) and Madden 2004. I don't even have a game for my gamecube or xbox right now lol. Althought I recently bought/sold fable. Great game, just too short. Not worth buying, but worth renting when you have a weekend you can spend playing video games.
Mantis421 Wrote:I think that most of us would by R1 if they were alittle more affordable. It just doesen't help when you are like me live in an area were anime isn't very popular so finding it is difficult to begin with. Anime when you find it around here is grossly marked up. But the last and most important thing which I am sure some of you know about being a student who only gets to work a non paying internship right now I rely on my military school benifits that is around 1200 a month after paying for school

Go to ebay.com

No matter where you live anime will be more affordable. If it wasn't for ebay i'd probably still be collecting HK's almost exclusively.
It stills costs quite a bit for me to order R1 anime DVDs at sites such as eBay, mostly due to the ridiculous Canadian customs' regulations. Add that and the conversion rate (which I must admit, isn't so bad recently), and it ends up about the same as buying R1s here. For those who don't know, everything here in Ontario that's non-essential is taxed 15% on top of the regular price, so it can really add up. I don't have that kind of income right now, being in university and all.
Macross. An experience often imitated, but NEVER duplicated. Shame on those who think otherwise.

Visit MacrossWorld for all your Macross needs!
You mean you don't want to have to save up your money for one set instead of three. Everyone can afford R1's if they can afford HK's. It just takes you longer to get them, and understandably many people choose HK's.
The way I see, in my current situation, it's about getting more for my money. If I knew that cheaper alternatives were available, I would most definitely go towards that cheaper solution. People do tend to do different things when they feel the squeeze of having a limited amount of money. It's not just that people are cheapskates, it's that the when the going gets tough, people put their morals second to value.
Macross. An experience often imitated, but NEVER duplicated. Shame on those who think otherwise.

Visit MacrossWorld for all your Macross needs!
I buy boots because they are cheap. Plain and simple. I do have a couple of single R1's, like 'Neo-Tokyo' and 'Memories', but I just am too much of a penny pincher and I like getting a lot for a little. I am a cheapskate. But I prefer the term 'bargian hunter'...Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kenshin Perfect Collection Question (Important) USSJTrunks 52 16,397 01-25-2003, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Raining Upwards