Going to Canada
Zagatto Wrote:I don't consider any drive under an hour to be a waste of my time.
Next weekend I'll be meeting Peter face to face while I'm up in Montreal. I think it's cool to meet other IA forum members in real life.

Hey, nice to see you come down here Zagatto. We should all get together one day. Hehe, Peter's a nice guy but it's impossible to feed his insatiable appetit for hentai.

Zagatto Wrote:Too bad the US dollar is doing so poorly lately. You've lost a lot of the advantage of the exchange rate lately. Currently, our dollar is worth about $0.80 US and when you figure in the 15% sales tax here it's pretty much a straight up exchange. The best thing to do is use a credit card to make most of your purchases and get a bit of cash just for basics.

Hehe, but it sure is damn cheaper to buy stuff from the US or even here than it was a couple of years ago when the dollar was barely above $0.60US. Cash for asian live action or anime DVDs though, I don't think most place will accept credit cards
Zagatto Wrote:Robojack... you live in Markham (a suburb of Toronto for people reading this who aren't familiar with the area). I love going to the Pacific Mall for food, toys, and other asian stuff. I've heard that there are better places in the area for just about anything a person could want. Is this true or do you find the best selection at the Pacific Mall?

Also, do you know any sushi resteraunts that haven't started freezing their fish yet? I know there are a number of them that are refusing to comply with the new by-law but I have no way to find out which ones those are.

I'm good for Tuesday or Thursday nights next week if we are having an evening get together while Nina is in town. Any other time will probably work for me after that if I have enough notice.
I agree with you. Pacific Mall is a great place to get food, toys, and other asian stuff. If you're looking for a one-stop shop location, then Pacific is probably one of the best. I personally go to Pacific to buy Gundam models (since they have one of the best Japanese model shops in town, Kuramai) and Japanese music, as well as to meet up with friends.

There are better places to get each of the things you mentioned, but you may have to do more running around Scarborough, Markham, and Richmond Hill (which is why I recommend Pacific). There are other places similar to Pacific, such as First Markham (Hwy. 7 and Woodbine Ave.), and Metro Square (on Steeles, just before Warden), and Times Square (Hwy. 7 and Leslie). While none of these places are anywhere as big as Pacific, they're all worth checking out if you have the time.

Regarding restaurants that freeze their fish, I'm sure if you call the restaurants, they'd be happy to tell you. I don't know of any in particular that don't freeze their fish. Myself, I'm free anytime on Tuesday and Friday. Other days, I have classes (university), and I'm sure most of you are spending Thanksgiving Monday with family and/or friends. It'd be great to meet up with a couple fellow Torontonians, including Nina, who's in town the next week.
Macross. An experience often imitated, but NEVER duplicated. Shame on those who think otherwise.

Visit MacrossWorld for all your Macross needs!
Oh wow, this is great Smile I have been really stressed out worrying about this trip and everything, even though all my co-workers keep saying it'll be great. I haven't stepped a foot out of the US since I was 7 so I was really scared. But I really feel better now. Thanks for all your input, Zagatto. I actually didn't think about using a credit card *smacks head* And I'm relieved to know it's not freezing cold over there. I hate being cold. It would be great if you could show me around. You are so cool! I would love to meet your wife too but I don't know if she'll be interested in meeting me since she doesn't post in this forum. Robojack, any way you could have dinner with us on Thursday night next week? I land in Toronto at around 7:30pm Tuesday night so I'd hate to say Tuesday and then get a delayed flight. I also found out that the anime store JingRoyale mentioned is a mile away from my hotel. *Joy*

It's so weird for me to hear Thanksgiving's on Monday!
I should be able to, though I'll have to miss a class. But for you guys, I don't mind doing that once in a while. Just provide me with the details as to where you're meeting and when, and possibly a cell number that can be reached if we're unable to find each other, and I'll be happy to meet you all for dinner. PM me if you feel any of this information should be confidential.
Macross. An experience often imitated, but NEVER duplicated. Shame on those who think otherwise.

I'm glad that store is so close. I havn't been but let me know how it is. Thanks.
There can be tears of sadness, and there can be tears of joy, but they are far from the same.

King Of Bandits Jing

My DVD trade list:
http://www.import-anime.com/forums/showt...php?t=4518
So Nina, we're meeting this coming Thursday (the 14th)? And where are we meeting and when? If you or Zagatto can PM me about the details, that be great.

Thursday night is good for me.
Depending on what time we meet, I may even bring Rebecca and Katina with me. I'd be happy to pick you up from your hotel so we can drive to wherever you want to go in Toronto. I have mentioned the Pacific Mall and I still find it one of the coolest places to take people to because of all it has to offer.

If you're staying by the airport, it might be easier to head into Mississauga to show you their tiny China Town. It doesn't have any great places for anime or manga and toys but the food is some of the best I've had and they have a really cool arch at their entrance that is worth going to just to look at.
I can be in town around 4:30 or 5:00 depending on what part of town you're staying in. It's looking like I'll be meeting a fair number of IA members this weekend. I'm looking forward to meeting Peter and MatthewMalay on Saturday while I'm in Montreal as well. Then in December I still hope to head down to the Big Easy and meet the Schultz family with JJ before Christmas comes along even though there isn't any anime convention worth going to down there.

These are good times indeed.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
It would be more convenient for me if we could meet somewhere in the GTA, preferably someplace within TTC access, since I don't have car access on weekdays. But let me know ahead of time of the specifics, so I'll know whether or not I can join you. Just so you know, Pacific Mall closes at around 7:30pm, so it would be better meet up early if you wanted to take Nina on a tour there (which I feel is a great idea).

Gemini Wrote:Sushi is great but also try some dim sum, definately gotta go for that.
I actually don't know what that is.. sounds familiar though.. noodles maybe?
Zagatto and Robojack, I pm'ed you guys. Hope we'll all get to meet up this week Smile Yeah Zagatto, that's a lot of members you're meeting.. fun fun fun.
I got through Customs with no problems Smile I LOVED Canada.. I would want to live there permanently except I know it gets cold. That Pacific Mall I went with Robojack & Zagatto + family is sooooo huge! There were so many Asian food shops, DVD shops, and this really nice arcade section. I got to see Zagatto do the DDR hand version thing (and he was pretty good for trying it the first time) Thanks guys for being able to show me around & for the company. I am really jealous that the Worlds Biggest Bookstore is so far away from me.. hmmm, but I didn't like how the mangas were shrinkwrapped and I couldn't flip through any of them. I had a great time in Canada and wasn't lonely at all... Let me know how Montreal turns out!
Wow, this "sounds" like it was a fun time for all. It's a rather interesting new social thing, meeting people that you correspond with online. I was going to make this a new thread, but i'll put it here:

Canadians:
I'll be turning 19 on Jan 8, and my friends and i are planning a trip to Toronto to drink legally for the first time. They want to go to a strip joint, but i'm trying to squash that (tempting, but costly, sleezy, and such). What do you Canadians think of foolish Americans coming over and boozing it up when 19?
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
Bring it on! I'll buy you a birthday drink. Maybe some of the other members in Toronto can also join us.

I had a fun time, meeting up with Nina, Zagatto, and his wonderful family. I only wish we had more time (maybe an extra day) to show Nina around Toronto.

I'll PM you when and if we make definite plans then. Smile
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
Ohhhh been meaning to ask take any cool pictures...

you wanna share the meetin picks with us

an IA meeting/convention thingy would be cool
i'd like to see some you poeps face to face
Big Grin
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/