I was ripped off by Manga Entertainment
Being upset and calling someone 'criminals' are two totally different things. Mistakes are bound to happen no matter what business you're in. They're aware of it and said they'd fix it. what more do you want from them?

I bought the SE edition for the first disc and played both DVD's on my TV fine. I have no speakers attached to it at all. You do not need extra speakers to be hooked up to hear sound with the DTS disc.
Take it back to HMV. They are a big company and explain to them it is not what it says it is, faulty according to manufacturer. If you kow cantonese basically "fo but do ban". Get a refund.

Bandai / Manga may or may not replace the disk for you since you are overseas in my experience. HMV should be your first avenue. Bitch at them like you have done now and it should be fine. Big Grin
gubi-gubi Wrote:Cant you like downsample DTS to stereo in the settings of the player? I dont have any speaker set up but I can still hear DTS. Also you do have a right to be pissed off. How many people moan and bitch when FX makes a mistake? You bought official stuff and still got a fucked up disc, you have a right to voice you're anger...
Digitally encoded sound such as DTS needs a decoder in the DVD player, even if you only use the stereo sound. His DVD player must be old. Nowadays just about all DVD players come with DTS and Dolby digital sound decoders. If I were him, perhaps I'd just buy another cheap DVD player and enjoy the surround sound.
beboprules Wrote:Digitally encoded sound such as DTS needs a decoder in the DVD player, even if you only use the stereo sound. His DVD player must be old. Nowadays just about all DVD players come with DTS and Dolby digital sound decoders. If I were him, perhaps I'd just buy another cheap DVD player and enjoy the surround sound.

My DVD player DOES have a DTS decoder, and my TV DOES support DTS (Well it has a DTS logo on it) but I don't get any sound when I enable DTS.
Bandai's email response:

Dear Customer,
Quote:How was this purchased in Hong Kong? We distribute only in the U.S.
Was the product imported? At this time we don't have a replacement
program and even if there was our license restricts us from sending over
seas.

Anyway, I took it back to HMV and at first they tried to shoo me away (I guess it's a good way to avoid trouble by getting rid of weak willed people in the beginning)
They put the disc in their DVD player and tried to tell me that the English stereo track was the track marked on the cover. (The cover said Japanese and English in both stereo and 5.1) . I got fucking pissed and explained the problem three times over, and when they looked it up and saw I was right they were nice about it and said they'd order a new one for me (All the other copies were switcheroos too) and if that one is also defective, they'll give me a refund.
I should just ripp the episodes or burn the DVD for my trouble if that's the case. (I still have the DVD with me, they'll switch it for the new one when it arrives.)
Oh well all the media companies are all same. No they are not criminals since they didn't break any laws, but you figure for charging such a price there would be some obvious QA. Mislabelled disc got out, obviously no QA tested any of the manufacture disc before it got on the market. And this doesn't just apply to animes where companys are generally not that big. Take a look at Lucas, they released Star Wars trilogy on DVD with music scores reversed on the rear surround channcel. And they claim it is a creative intent! Now that is simply pure disregard for customers. When all they are thinking is put the disc out without a bit of care just to check out the manufactured disc just to see if they are what they should be. They are not like a few frame is bad type mistakes, they generally a reasonably big mistakes. But rather no one in the company would take the time and effort to bother. Sure Manga/Bandai offered to fix the problem, but I can tell you, that's only because they have a small market. If they are like Lucas, they'd claim that's an (artistic intent) too to give you DTS quality instead of 5.1. Heh... anyway be glad, at least Manga/Bandai is fixing the problem and you got your solutions too. I can only feel for those who purchased the Star Wars DVDs.
Sam Wrote:My DVD player DOES have a DTS decoder, and my TV DOES support DTS (Well it has a DTS logo on it) but I don't get any sound when I enable DTS.

Then you should go and learn how to use your DVD player properly and maybe, I don't know, read the manual.

Are you sure your DVD player can decode DTS or just pass the stream through via an optical or coaxial to a receiver that can decode DTS.