Favorites #6 Studio Ghibli
It's kind of funny... before I even knew about Nausicaa I had seen Warriors of the Wind about 10 times and thought it was a great movie. Then I had the opportunity to read the manga which blew me right out of the water. Finally I got to see the unedited movie shortly after joining this forum and I got my Ghibli boxed set (one of my very first purchases and still one of my favourites).

It's funny because I recognize how great a movie Nausicaa is but it had been diluted for me by the combination of Macek's butchering of it on video and the inspiration that went into the entire manga. Under different circumstances it may have even dislodged Totoro from my fave.

For the record, I don't think there are many movies that are "much" better than Mononoke but it isn't the best of the Miyazakis. Even the worst of them are still incredible movies (I think Porco Rosso is the weakest and I've still watched that one three or four times now).
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
Zagatto Wrote:For the record, I don't think there are many movies that are "much" better than Mononoke but it isn't the best of the Miyazakis. Even the worst of them are still incredible movies (I think Porco Rosso is the weakest and I've still watched that one three or four times now).

I was referring to Miyazaki movies only obviously since he said that's the only Miyazaki movie he ahd seen. IMO, Mononoke is on the low end of my Ghibli movie rankings. It's def below Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, and Castle in the Sky.
Zagatto Wrote:It's kind of funny... before I even knew about Nausicaa I had seen Warriors of the Wind about 10 times and thought it was a great movie. Then I had the opportunity to read the manga which blew me right out of the water. Finally I got to see the unedited movie shortly after joining this forum and I got my Ghibli boxed set (one of my very first purchases and still one of my favourites).

It's funny because I recognize how great a movie Nausicaa is but it had been diluted for me by the combination of Macek's butchering of it on video and the inspiration that went into the entire manga.

Yeah I saw Warriors of the Wind back in 84' and didn't get to see the uncut Japanese version until 89' . To anyone who has not read the manga Zagatto is right, if you love Miyazaki's films you have to read the Nausicca manga. I do take up for Macek alot, because he did alot to help bring the first wave of mainstream anime here in America, but you are right the plot was pretty buchered in Wind Warriors.
http://www.aboutheroes.com Best comic book podcast!!! Come and join in!