Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Favorites #6 Studio Ghibli
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I wanted to try something alittle different this week since I have a few orders in transit and I want to keep to stuff I own or have seen recently. I picked up not to long ago the 7 movie set of the Studio Ghibli films. After watching the films I found that the ones I liked the most was Grave of The Fireflies and Luputa Castles in The Sky. They remind me especially Laputa of animation films that were coming out in the late 70s early 80s. What was everyone elses fav or favs of the films that Studio Ghibli has made?
Nausicaa followed closely by Whispers of the Heart.
It's really hard to pick a favourite but I'd have to say My Neighbour Totoro just because it's the first anime I remember enjoying together with my wife.

I love every Ghibli movie I've seen since then right up through The Cat Returns. I just wish I could see Mei and the Kittenbus soon or at least have some sort of idea of when it will be released.
Nausicaa and the one with the little racoons or whatever they are.
Thats Pompoko elcoholic, as far as my favorite, it would have to be Whisper of the Heart, which also happens to be my favorite anime of all time.
Yes, Pompoko. What a fantastic movie that was. It was so easy to relate to the little rascals. I loved every minute of it.

Whisper of the heart is the only one I haven't seen from my Ghibli box. I started it once and in the intro it seemed like a love story kind of film which is not what I watch anime for. If I want a love story I'll watch a live action movie. I want action and fantasy elements in my anime, not something that could happen in real life.

So, was I right by not watching it or isn't it a love story at all?
I think the thing that sets The Studio Ghibli films apart from alot of anime is not so much the animation style of the films by the Human feelings that is put into the films. Granted their is a certain little bit of Fantasy or Magic in each of the films, but the main characters in the films are relatively belivable that they could acually be like that in a real life situation. Thats the charm of the Studio Ghibli films I found
elcoholic Wrote:So, was I right by not watching it or isn't it a love story at all?

It's Miyazaki. You're never right in not watching his stuff.

I've only seen what's been released here so far and Porco Rosso. My fave would probably be Porco Rosso.
Vicious Wrote:It's Miyazaki. You're never right in not watching his stuff.

I've only seen what's been released here so far and Porco Rosso. My fave would probably be Porco Rosso.
My fave also is Porco Rosso. I love all Ghibli stuff, but that one is just cooler somehow than the rest.

I also really liked Grave of Fireflies, but it is just so sad, especially if you have your own kids, it just tears you up.

I haven't seen Pom Poko or Whisper of the Heart since it isn't on the FX Ghibli set, but I will grab them as soon as MAC makes singles for them.
rarnom Wrote:I also really liked Grave of Fireflies, but it is just so sad, especially if you have your own kids, it just tears you up.

Even without kids, it tears you up. Well amlost. I am Vicious after all. Big Grin
Even though Grave of fire flies was good, it's not something I would wanna watch over and over again. It is too depressing. Nausicaa.....Now there is something I wouldn't mind watching many times.
Princess Mononoke, its was cool and its the only Studio Ghibi anime I've ever seen.
Ryujin Wrote:Princess Mononoke, its was cool and its the only Studio Ghibi anime I've ever seen.

You're missing out then. There are many that are much better.
My favorite Ghibli film is Nausicaa as well followed closely by Grave Of The Fireflies. And shame on you Ryujin. You really don't know what you're missing. Studio Ghibli offers all of the elements that make anime such fun to watch. I suggest you pick up the 14 movie boxset and see for yourself.
Nausicaa is the one i really like. The others are good but not up there with Nausicaa imo.
Pages: 1 2