Ivan the Blowhard
what type of housing do low class members of their society use?
Ivan the blowhard doesn't quite sound right. On weather channel, they are calling it Ivan the Terrible. Since they alternate the names, next one will have a female name.
On okinawa they have the same concrete houses.. I think it might be a building code or something for the island.. I know the military can't build houses or anything on base if it isn't concrete and follow some local building rules if i remember correctly.

http://gallery.theschultzs.org/japanhouse/IMG_0212
here is a picture showing all the houses.. And don't mind that little building its just for where farmers stay when they are working.. its not a house.

and here is another one of up the street.
http://gallery.theschultzs.org/japanhouse/IMG_0211
Okinawan's in the middle to lower class rent. There are a lot of apartment buildings. My first apartment was a very little place made out of pure concrete. We only had a house in Okinawa after Schultz and I got married, we made good money for housing because we are both in the Mil.
"MADE IN HEAVEN, FORGED IN HELL"
Question for the Schultzes:

I've always wondered, why do people move to places like that that are always being hit with natural disasters? I understand that some people are born there and are thus native to that part of the country. But why would you two voluntarily choose to live in New Orleans or whereever you're at? Why not choose a safer location?
Vicious Wrote:Question for the Schultzes:

I've always wondered, why do people move to places like that that are always being hit with natural disasters? I understand that some people are born there and are thus native to that part of the country. But why would you two voluntarily choose to live in New Orleans or whereever you're at? Why not choose a safer location?

they aren't always being hit. That's the first reason.
Well right now they didn't have a choice... well not much of one. They are both in the military and both have hard to fill jobs. So they have to go to a base that has both of thier jobs. That is why they moved there.

But every place has it's one or two weather problems. Cali you have forest fires and earthquakes, Midwest you have tornadows, Texas floods and the passing hurricane, florida... I could go on but sometimes it is a job and the lesser of two evils that make you choose where to live.
[Image: slay6.jpg]
I am known as the Red leader of the Ichi Hentai!
kakomu Wrote:they aren't always being hit. That's the first reason.

I don't know too much about New Orleans, but Florida is. I hear about them all the time and hurricanes. But anywyas, you know what I meant.

And Morg, we don't have any natural disasters where I live near DC. We get our occasional snowstorms during winter, but that's about it. There was a hurricane warning or something last year and that's the first time I can ever remember having one. And all we ended up getting was a big thunderstorm and nothing more.
It's not like we choose to live in places that are plagued with extreme weather, but I understand what you are saying. There was a retired Military couple who had to leave their home on the ocean front. Why even tempt mother nature? I want to retire to the North East or the North West, none of this Tornado, hurricane, killer ocean waves stuff!!!
flordia has nice weather year round, except for the 4 or 5 days out of 365 when a tropical storm hits. However, temperate climates have shit weather. In chicago land, it was cold as fuck up until may, at which point it immediately switched to hot and humid weather. Then only 2 months of moderately good weather it switches right back to fall weather. I fucking hate this weather, I'd much rather live somewhere down south.

However, I'd rather not live in a red neck area, so a coastal area is where I'd like to live.
I don't know. If I knew there was a chance that I might get hit once or twice a year and have to worry about my house and evacuate, I'd tend to stay away from there.
kakomu Wrote:In chicago land, it was cold as fuck up until may, at which point it immediately switched to hot and humid weather. Then only 2 months of moderately good weather it switches right back to fall weather. I fucking hate this weather, I'd much rather live somewhere down south.

However, I'd rather not live in a red neck area, so a coastal area is where I'd like to live.
I am so happy I won't be in Indiana this winter!! I hated going to school there because of the cold. New Jersey will be cold too but at least it doesn't last as long. I'd prefer to live in the West coast... Hawaii would be my number one choice, California #2.
Well, to update you all, the Schultzs survived Ivan. As did both vehicles!! I'm happy and I know my insurance company is even happier. They even sent me an advisory email on Ivan because of where I live!! :o
Jersey is where it's at. No major natural disasters, the worst we get is a bit of snow in Febuary but nothing to hard to deal with.
Unless you count the traffic and the drivers. Rolleyes