complaining about subs?
Okay, you can give Japan the money. But with more money spent on money, the more companies will release titles. It helps for people who can't understand Japanese. :wink:
Steve_the_Talking_Pie: Hampsters Bumpin' and Grindin' Since '99.

Region 1: DVD Collection
My question is this: Which HKDVD company has the best subs?

I recently bought Gungrave 4 dvd set, but i have no idea what company made it. The serial number is DVD-07018. Sorry my scanner is kaput, but i've checked the reviews, and can't find this. The cover is the same as the release from Animation Video. The subs are good only for the 1st episode. For Eg. "You Bloody Poltroon!" What?????

I agree with lifestop. If they don't improve, might as well get fansubs over the net.
I usually get them for the chinese subs. :p I only look at the english subs the first time I watch something so I can see the quality.

I think the fact that non-native english speakers are doing the translation from japanese to chinese and then to english has got to be a bit of a draw on the quality. But yeah gotta support the R1 companies.
I am usually not a big fan of sub titles myself but form the movies and series that I have seen where it wasent an option when the presentation is done in letterbox with the subtitles in the black area I like when they have been done like that
I am "Pedro" I am an afro warrior-----
Excel saga
If people didnt care about subs and didnt get pissed off when they get bad subs then why is this site here? The whole point is so people dont get bad subs or generally crappyly made HKs. Why should I get a set and not be able to watch it and not get pissed off? If nobody says anything then stuff will only get worse. Doing nothing isnt going to make it get better. Sure it might not take notice and make it better but at least something got said... HK companies could just wait a few weeks (even days) for a fansub to come out and rip timed subs off it in about 30 mins or less. Isnt it better to try and hope for that than to sit down and feel grateful we get to watch a series even though we cant understand it? (Yes it is better to have a series than not but still).
desfunk Wrote:and half the time your brain has to be working overdrive just to RE translate the subs.... but it still never took away the enjoyment of the series for me

I know EXACTLY what you mean, I thought that I was the only one!!. My brain works 5 - 10 times harder to understand some of these things!. Personally I don't mind badly dubbed anime that much, depending on how bad it is, I mean Shadow Skill and Getta Robo are fine, a little bit of translating, in shadow skills case sometimes I use the brain overload thing. But sometimes it is almost totally gibberish, like E's Otherwise, that show made almost no sense, luckily I used my super brain overload re-translation powers so I could understand it a decent amount.

I think people can complain and have the right to if the subtitles are just gibberish, but sometimes I think people complain about anything thats not R1 quality, and in that case people should just deal with it because in most cases they are seeing shows that will probably never be released in English ever, and if they do it will be a few years later, so people complaining in those cases should take their heads out of their assess.

Also I can't be bothered finding the quote, but to that guy who said that they are not going to make stuff only for the American market... em news flash, your not the only english speaking country in the world, so don't be so ignorant/arrogant. As for it not being an important market, of course it is, otherwise they would not bother putting in the english subs in the 1st place. And I think they will do better jobs overall in future as more englosh speaking people buy more HK anime.
"The best way to a girls bed is trough her parents, have sex with them and your in for sure!" -- Zap Branigan

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complaining about HKDVD Subs? Or just want better subs... digitalAQUA 7 4,068 10-06-2002, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Steve_the_Talking_Pie