Artist Remaking Songs
Batz Kage Wrote:For me, when ever a rapper uses an old song they completely screw it up!

There's a difference between sampling and covering a song. Puff Daddy using the Police's every breath you take riff is a sample. That rapper taking The Police's Roxanne riff is a sample. So on and so forth.
I personally think that remakes of songs, even if the remake does good in the charts is a lack of creativity on the part of the artist who does the remake. Something about hearing 70s and 80s songs done by teenie bop artists just doesent seem right. Its my life by No Doubt is actually the 2nd time the song has been redone. The song really doesent sound different musically wise other then the female vocals vs the male ones in the original done by Talk Talk in the early 80s.
I am "Pedro" I am an afro warrior-----
Excel saga
Yup. I was singing along wit some song called "Endless" by a group called Toto. it was funny. My friends and I were dancing and stuff. And some passers by stared at us like we were freaks. I guess they would think that if they saw some girl that looked gothic and some other people wearing bright colors mixed in with some punks dancing to a song like that. Lol.
Hot Damn, that was cool!

kakomu Wrote:There's a difference between sampling and covering a song. Puff Daddy using the Police's every breath you take riff is a sample. That rapper taking The Police's Roxanne riff is a sample. So on and so forth.
Hey sampling is even worse in my view. And Puff Daddy pretty much did a cover of the song "Every breath you take" he added new vocals and lyrics, but the sheet music was left almost untouched. Sampling is a bane of music. Let?s take a "hook" or something people already now and then add are own stuff to it. Is it new yes... is it good that is left up to choice and opinion. And lets face music is all about opinion.
[Image: slay6.jpg]
I am known as the Red leader of the Ichi Hentai!
I absolutely HATE the remake Puff Daddy did of that song!!! Every Breath You Take is such a good song and he ruined it. :mad: My fiance likes Puff Daddy's verion and plays it occasionally and I can't stand it. Talk about butchering a good song.
~Lady Ice~
"I drove for miles and miles and wound up at your door. I've had you so many times, but somehow I want more." ~Maroon5
[Image: WitchHunterRobinBanner1.jpg]
GUYS! It's not a fucking Remake! He sampled the fucking song, that's all he did! The lyrics are different, the song title is different! It's not the same fucking song! There is a difference between a remake (a cover) and a sample of another song.

Ice Ice Baby is not a remake of Queen's under Pressure. I'll be missing you is not a remake of every breath you take.
Sample, Remake, Redo is is all the same to me Ripoff. Even with the fact artists have to have permission to do that it. My all time hated Sample was in the late 80s hearing the beat sounded like Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie only to have Vannila Ice start singing. It still has a disturbing effect every time I hear it
I am "Pedro" I am an afro warrior-----
Excel saga
Mantis421 Wrote:Sample, Remake, Redo is is all the same to me Ripoff. Even with the fact artists have to have permission to do that it. My all time hated Sample was in the late 80s hearing the beat sounded like Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie only to have Vannila Ice start singing. It still has a disturbing effect every time I hear it
It was that very song that made the "New" Artist have to pay for the rights to use hooks or samples as they wish to refer to it now. (Hooking is considered bad because it is a part of the song people already key into making the new song easier to stomach. Sampling is used now because it is less forceful of a word. Which either way is legal stealing from the original work.)

Look Kakomu you can dice it up and serve it any way you want. The song "Missing you" if the hook or sample is removed the song is left very bland. I know you are musician take a look at the two songs side by side. In sheet music form. Like I had to do for music theory. You will see that "Missing you" is nothing short of a façade.

Oh and Kakomu would Weird Al follow under you theory. He takes songs writes whole new words and rerecords them. It is called a parody in this case but sounds like sampling to me.
[Image: slay6.jpg]
I am known as the Red leader of the Ichi Hentai!
morgorath Wrote:Oh and Kakomu would Weird Al follow under you theory. He takes songs writes whole new words and rerecords them. It is called a parody in this case but sounds like sampling to me.

The only time I can really think of Weird Al Sampling is Amish Paradise, which is a parody of a song that was already stealing the hook from another song. In every other song of his, he performs it live.
Mantis421 Wrote:Sample, Remake, Redo is is all the same to me Ripoff. Even with the fact artists have to have permission to do that it. My all time hated Sample was in the late 80s hearing the beat sounded like Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie only to have Vannila Ice start singing. It still has a disturbing effect every time I hear it

By the way, Vanilla Ice didn't have permission to use anything from "Under Pressure". He stole it and tried to pass it off as his own.

"Sampling" makes me sick.

*Edit*
Sorry in the first part of my post I had muddled a couple of thoughts together. Indeed "To the Extreme" came out in 1990. Thank you Kakomu for catching my error. Wink

To make this edit worthwhile, Vanilla Ice gets no royalties from the song "Ice Ice Baby".
?The louder he proclaimed his honor, the faster we counted the spoons.? - Ralph Waldo Emerson
http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/sere...&linkID=36
kakoi_sugoi_yama Wrote:You have a bad memory. "Ice Ice Baby" came out in 1991.

By the way, Vanilla Ice didn't have permission to use anything from "Under Pressure". He stole it and tried to pass it off as his own.

"Sampling" makes me sick.

You're wrong too. It came out in 1990.