Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Artist Remaking Songs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I wrote a good opening but this new fourm logged me off now I am having to retype...

Ok look I was wondering what you think of Artist redoing or covering over Artist songs. I feel for the most part they do a terriable job. I feel that if you remake a song you need to make it your own. Examples...

J. Simpson - Take My Breath Away... I really loath this remake of Berlin's smash hit.
L. Bizkit - Behind Blue Eyes... I like the Who version 10 times better.

No Doubt - It's My Life... A good remake...
RHCP - Love Roller Coaster... A good remake that added to the song.

White Lion - Radar Love... they took this song and did what I feel remakes should do...

What do you think what are some remakes you hate and some you like

Oh this is about as half as long as my first new thread...
What's that group that used some of Smooth Criminal in their song? I kinda liked that one.

And the king of remaking songs is Puff Daddy. I liked what he did with Missing You by the Police (not as much as the original though).
Alien Ant Farm redid MJ's Smooth Criminal, i liked it but still prefer the original. One remake i didnt like was All Saints cover of the Chilis "Under the Bridge". Love the original h8 the cover.
I usually can't stand remakes, however I think its a great idea, because kids find out its a cover song to an original. So in a way a new generation finds out about a great song.
It depends on what the group does with the original song. I also hate the Jessica Simpson remake of Take My Breath Away. I turn it off every time it comes on the radio... which is every few minutes! What I really hate is when someone takes a nice song and turns it techno! ARG! Like that song A Thousand Miles or something (very over played, but nice song), don't rememeber who the chick is who sings it, but last night a techno version of it was played on the radio. I almost ran off the road! :mad:
I know what you mean. I hate it when people mess with stuff and don't even bother to make it good. The other day I heard a remake of the song Unforgiven (Metallica) and I just about flew off the handle. It sucked so badly I wanted to track down the person who did the remake and slap them.
:mad: I HATE CREED ! :mad:
they remade there video and song like 7 times for there only smash it and now they arent a band that is what i cant stand! and also remix cds or of songs they do like more then 2 times. like all rap stars and R. kelly, i just hate them with a passion they can only do one thing they think is a hit and then re do it over and over again.
I never liked Creed. My friend did and I told her to listen to something else or forever feel my wrath. She listened to them still, and then realized on her own how much they sucked. Wink.
Blind Guardian's Surfin USA and Mr Sandman (a cover of the Chordette's song) are so badass that you wonder why the originals weren't like that. Angra's remake of Wuthering heights is so ROKKEN it makes me pop a hard on!

I like covers that change the sound of the original. Many covers are uninspired as they try to emulate it to the number (such as those CDs of Metallica or Pixies covers), whereas many others will take a song that is of a different genre and port it to their own. Such as when the deftones covered Weezer songs.
Eric Clapton's cover of "I Shot the Sheriff" and "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" are much better than the originals.

I absolutely despise Bob Marley's version of "I Shot the Sheriff". As a rule I hate most covers.
Hmm. True. Remakes can be good. I liek the oen that Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies did. I think it was "Don't Let the Sun go Down on Me".
Batik Wrote:Hmm. True. Remakes can be good. I liek the oen that Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies did. I think it was "Don't Let the Sun go Down on Me".
Batik - That was an orginal done by Eric John.

Kakomu - I feel you on your kick. I like it when they take a cover song and do something new with it. As long as they don't take away from the orginal. Take the song "Cats in the Cradle" The orginal was a smash hit. The remake was great as well but they did not go to far as in to turn into a grunge song. Now "American Pie" on the other hand is a classic, but Madonna had to turn it into some pop piece of crap. that lost all of the orginals feeling and reason for it.

Kakoi - Eric Clapton "I shot the Sheriff" is the best version ever period...
well, I hated the original American Pie, so...
Batik Wrote:I know what you mean. I hate it when people mess with stuff and don't even bother to make it good. The other day I heard a remake of the song Unforgiven (Metallica) and I just about flew off the handle. It sucked so badly I wanted to track down the person who did the remake and slap them.
Arg! I hate it when anyone messes with Metallica's songs! They're awesome the way they are! Especially Unforgiven. That's one of my favorites.
For me, when ever a rapper uses an old song they completely screw it up!

The only instance i can think of that doesn't fit this mode is when Bed Destoryers used a Cure song in the background, but that wasn't a remake really, so I guess it doesn't count anyways.

As for things such as Punk Covers, most are good, I know of only two that aren't, that being the AFI - Whatever I Do, & the one of Mission Impossible's theme.

Ones like Time After Time & 9to5 (don't really remember the name of it) rocked, mostly becuase I like faster music.

Also The Hippos- Our Lips Are Sealed was better than the original, but not by much, same with I Come From A Land Down Under.

But, the cool thing about punk covers is when me 7 my dad are listening to popular 80's songs I can actually sing along Big Grin
Pages: 1 2